Author Topic: New Absolut ad campaign advocates reconquista  (Read 18786 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: New Absolut ad campaign advocates reconquista
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 05:58:46 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 05:59:18 AM »
I don't think it will have any effect at all.  Most folks won't notice or they will and think "heh heh, funny" and move on.

Chris
I thought the same thing.
Most of the people I know who drink are teenagers.  If they even understand the ad, they wont care as long as it doesn't interrupt...whatever it is they like to do.
Now if it had insulted a particular band or football team....
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 06:03:57 AM »
Best response...from a former Mexican. Hard truth!

Fabricio Says:
April 3, 2008 at 2:34 am

I was born and raised end educated in Mexico, this has got to be the biggest sour grapes ad ever. We lost tons of what was then OUR territory, because we were weak, stupid and corrupt, no one in Mexico cared about 2/3 of the old Nueva Espana until after they discovered gold in California and no one in Mexico cared about that territory untli the USA built it up with roads, cities, towns, services, industry in the early 20th century. Guess what, its the 21st century and Mexico is still weak, stupid and corrupt, socially, economically and govermentally. Instead of wroking to build a great society, instead of mexican society working as a team and building a 1st class country with the tons of human an natural resources we have, we covet jealously what we could have had, what the USA became and is, it because the Americans are smart and they have their checks and balances socially, politically and economically they built an empire out of 13 piece of dirt colonies, the Spaniards gave us an empire in term of land and as a society we pissed it away, the problem is that mexican never look at themselves as the problem, which we are, naturally we always look at some one else to blame for our own failings.

We suck as a culture, we suck as a society, we suck as a country, were a third rate wannabe leftist dictatorship aka a latina american democracy that can never get its act straight. I had the good fortune of marrying into an American family that embraced me regardless of my origins these social and political conservatives are some of the most generous and hard working people and some of the closest nit humans you will find, I am lucky to have left Mexico, and I will never return to Mexico, I will die for the USA and my sons will die for the USA because it has given me everything.

What has Mexico ever given me? Nada.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 09:49:34 AM »
Okay, for just a second here, I'll try to take this seriously.  Do we really think that Mexico is going to attempt to assert lcaim over this region, either by legal action or by force?  No way.  Legal action would lead to a huge anti-Mexican backlash, and would likely hurt their NAFTA status.  Force?  Yeah.  Right.  And, do we really think that an add campaign is going to make this happen?

Personal opinion only...it's a bad add campaign in poor taste, and I am personally offended enough that I'll buy something other than Absolut from now on.  Frankly, I prefer Grey Goose.  I also have my bottle of Red Amry vodka which I keep in reserve.

I still say we should negotiate, see what we can get.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 10:00:54 AM »
Uhm...

Did anyone say that Mexico is asserting a claim over the region?

No.

Don't know why that keeps popping up on various boards.

But, there is a growing movement among hispanic radicals both in Mexico and in Southern California to create Atlzan, or whatever it's called.

Yeah, nothing more than posturing by a bunch of disaffected morons who want to "restore the glory" of the Mexican Empire.

Anyone who knows anything about the historic "Mexican Empire" knows what a farce that is.

Oh, be sure to catch the fun on this website posting board.

http://www.brownpride.us/forum/do-you-think-all-mexicans-have-right-come-live-t9687.html?s=622745759a58f0e589250fe1058c78c8&

The problem here is with Absolut's advertising.

But, given that they apparently don't mind controversy, maybe the'll like my idea for one that they should run in Germany?

A star of David with a big red slash through it with a background picture of the ovens at Auschwitz...

That would be dandy, right?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 10:04:58 AM »
Love the pic, Charby.  laugh

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »
Funny, my work's web filter let me go to brownpride.us, no problemo.

But, when other posters have talked about the white equivalent and even linked (stormfront.something seems favorite) my work's web filter say "no hay entrada."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 10:35:23 AM »
Stormfront is a truly horrific pit of violent white supremacists calling for violent acts. I'm not surprised ANY firewall blocks that.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 11:07:44 AM »
Love the pic, Charby.  laugh

I found it comment on the Michelle Malkin blog page.

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/04/03/absolut-photoshop-how-about-a-fence/

I wish I had sometime this weekend becasue I'd 'shop one with a Jack Daniels or Jim Beam bottle on it.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 11:11:14 AM »
Well, it's now been picked up on Drudge....

Absolut should hear the crap hitting the fan right... about.....  now.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 03:16:44 PM »
Not to overstate the obvious...

Isn't California already owned by the Mexicans?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

taurusowner

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 09:27:28 PM »
Stormfront is a truly horrific pit of violent white supremacists calling for violent acts. I'm not surprised ANY firewall blocks that.

True, but why do filters not block similar sites for non-whites?

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2008, 12:09:42 AM »
Not to overstate the obvious...

Isn't California already owned by the Mexicans?
Nope. Well, Northern CA isn't (yet).
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2008, 05:44:17 AM »

True, but why do filters not block similar sites for non-whites?

Because there appears to be a huge difference in the political direction of Stormfront vs. Brownpride. As far as I can tell, Stormfront reguarly advocates killing Jews, Catholics, and just about everyone else.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 05:46:39 AM »
Anyone see any response from Absolut yet?

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2008, 06:04:26 AM »
I found a response in World Net Daily:
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=60768

Malkin points out the Mexico City-based firm that created the ad, Teran, says its philosophy is advocating "disruption" as a "tool for change" and "agent of growth." The firm encourages "overturning assumptions and prejudices that get in the way of imagining new possibilities and visionary ideas that help create a larger share of the future."
The vodka company, however, has tried to explain that it had no political motives.
"This particular ad, which ran in Mexico, was based upon historical perspectives and was created with a Mexican sensibility," said a statement identified as being from Paula Eriksson, with V&S, Absolut's parent company.
"In no way was this meant to offend or disparage, nor does it advocate an altering of borders, nor does it lend support to any anti-American sentiment, nor does it reflect immigration issues," she wrote to a Missouri vodka fan who expressed his concern.
"Will your company be running like advertisements in Denmark and Germany illustrating Sweden as the property of those respective countries, as they were in the historical past?" the fan responded. "You know, in an 'Absolut World of Denmark,' or an "Absolut World of Germany' advertising campaign!
"Of course not," he continued, "because doing so would be an insult to all Swedes worldwide. Do you see the fact-based common sense in my argument now? If not, then you and your company are completely out of touch with reality& The insensitivity of your company is growing with each passing hour, it would seem."
In what Eriksson described as a template response, she told the Missouri vodka fan, whose name was being withheld, "The & advertising campaign invites consumers to visualize a world that appeals to them  one they feel may be more idealized or one that may be a bit 'fantastic.' Obviously, this ad was run in Mexico, and not the U.S.  that ad might have been very different," she said.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2008, 07:44:50 AM »
nor does it advocate an altering of borders
How do you draw a picture that alters borders and not advocate altering borders?

Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2008, 08:56:25 AM »
The vodka company, however, has tried to explain that it had no political motives.

I believe them. Crackhead prostitutes usually have no political motives either. rolleyes
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

grampster

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »
I'm visualizing a world where I never drink Absolut ever again.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2008, 10:57:05 AM »
I'm visualizing a world where I never drink Absolut ever again.
Funny, I'm having the same vision smiley.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2008, 12:21:31 PM »
Funny that they left the main text of the ad in English.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2008, 01:50:42 PM »

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2008, 02:43:08 PM »
Anyone see any response from Absolut yet?
This appeared at the Absolut website:
The In An Absolut World advertising campaign invites consumers to visualize a world that appeals to them  one they feel may be more idealized or one that may be a bit fantastic. As such, the campaign will elicit varying opinions and points of view. We have a variety of executions running in countries worldwide, and each is germane to that country and that population.

This particular ad, which ran in Mexico, was based upon historical perspectives and was created with a Mexican sensibility. In no way was this meant to offend or disparage, nor does it advocate an altering of borders, nor does it lend support to any anti-American sentiment, nor does it reflect immigration issues. Instead, it hearkens to a time which the population of Mexico may feel was more ideal.

As a global company, we recognize that people in different parts of the world may lend different perspectives or interpret our ads in a different way than was intended in that market. Obviously, this ad was run in Mexico, and not the US  that ad might have been very different.

By Paula Eriksson, VP Corporate Communications, V&S Absolut Spirits
And my response, also at the Absolut website . . . one among hundreds in a similar vein:
Ms. Eriksson, your belated attempt at damage control falls flat - referring to "historical perspectives" and "Mexican sensibility" cannot cover up the FACT that your ad campaign is blatantly offensive and fairly dripping with racism.

Imagine a company with a large Israeli market ran a campaign in Saudi Arabia in which a map showed the area south of Lebanon as "Greater Palestine" - would you try to excuse it by saying it was "germane to that country" and still expect your Israeli market to thrive?

If your Japanese ad campaign included a map that showed China, New Guinea, the Philippines, Burma, and most of the Pacific islands as the "Greater East Asia Co -Prosperity Sphere" (look it up if you haven't heard of it!), would you try to explain this away as being "based on historical perspectives" and expect to keep sales in Beijing, Manila, etc.?

No, Ms. Ericksson, your explanation is nothing more than an insincere effort at "spin control" which simply doesn't ring true.

For one thing . . . IT DOESN'T EVEN INCLUDE AN APOLOGY!!!

Fortunately, ABSOLUT products are not unique in the market, you have PLENTY of competitors for your products . . . THEY will now be getting the benefits of your ad campaign.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2008, 04:04:47 PM »
They tried taking Texas once....and got more than cheap hooch in return....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2008, 04:07:50 PM »
So Absolut runs an ad targeting their Mexican audience - in English?  shocked
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"