Author Topic: Retail fatigue: Anyone else notice this?  (Read 17973 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Retail fatigue: Anyone else notice this?
« on: September 24, 2008, 05:00:27 AM »
It seems that analysts are predicting a poor holiday season due to costs and a lack of stuff that people "want". Myself, I've noticed something that I don't know if other people share.

Shopping for things no longer has attraction for some basic reasons.

- Everything is the SAME, from far too many of the same stores with the same stuff.

- Everything, or mostly everything, is of poor quality.

Every mall store, every big-box store, even every retailer in general just seems to have a ubiquitousness of the same merchandise, the same stuff.

How many TVs do you need? How many plastic items that break almost immediately? How many identical faux-ethnic home decor items? How many poorly made shirts that shrink in the first wash?

And why go to more stores when they all have those same items on the same shelves in the same arrangements, no matter what store in what town in what state you go to? Duplicate, redundant store after store, it seems like, to me.

Does it just seem like there's way too much retail space now, and that it's all full of the same junk that you don't really need, all redundant and almost all very poorly made?

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Retail fatigue: Anyone else notice this?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 05:10:04 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly.

Retails store hold very low appeal for me.  I feel like there's nothing in there for me - nothing I want, nothing I find useful.

I buy things as I need, and occasionally a tool I want.  Tools make my life easier when I'm trying to repair some piece of crap so I don't have to buy another.  I've actually found myself buying white goods off creigslist instead of new, recently.  Gas Stove - $50.  Works like a champ.  Dishwasher - $25.  Guy didn't like the color of the one in a house he bought.  Presumably works great, haven't installed it yet.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 05:11:47 AM »
I'll relate what I am most familer with, and that is gun stores. (the retail establishments I spend most of my spare time in).

All the big box stores are the same...they have the same guns...bolt action rifles, and cheap .22s (never any quality .22s, like CZs). And long barreled hunting shotguns. The most popular pistols. Same mix of cheap and somewhat expensive optics.

The smaller shops often follow the same lead, with just less stuff, but priced higher.

It's all just blah. No milsurps. No EBRs. No of the more unusual stuff...no cool stuff. No innovative items. No anything new. Just the same old tired inventory.

And same for the retail outlets of other types.

There are no interesting items anymore. There are no well crafted items anymore. There is just the same old boring stuff.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 05:12:08 AM »
Plus why go fight the crowds when you can have the same stuff shipped to your door for half the cost.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 05:23:50 AM »
Somebody needs to invent pet rocks.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 05:30:36 AM »
Plus why go fight the crowds when you can have the same stuff shipped to your door for half the cost.

For most retail stores, I agree.  For gun stores, I try to help out my local businesses.  As Avenger29 says, there isn't that much variety.  It's mainly long barrel shotguns, which I can understand as it's likely the best seller.  A mixed selection of bolt guns, but nothing that ever catches my eye.  Most gun stores go crazy with having 1-4 AR's.  Maybe an AK or two, but they try not to get too exotic. 

I have NEVER seen an FAL, semi Uzi, decent grade AK, etc other than online or at a gun show.  I'm sure there's excellent gunstores out there that stock the fun stuff (just not in my area, sigh) and I know most gunstores cater to deer hunters as it's the bulk of their business.   I'm sure they have sound business reasons for ignoring the guns I consider fun.  But it means I have to take my business elsewhere, which I wish I didn't have to do.  I'm young, single and have disposible income.   I'll probably spend more on guns and ammo than fifty run of the mill deer hunters, maybe a hundred. 

As for retail stores, f 'em.  I don't like cheap plastic well, everything.  When I'm buying something, I'm typically buying something because I want it, not because I need it.  So I need something to catch my eye.   I've noticed that if you buy right the first time, you don't have to replace it unless you want to.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 05:33:53 AM »
The reason so many things look alike is because they ARE alike, probably coming out of the same factory in China.

And don't kid yourself - the only reason the model numbers on identical large consumer items from TVs to refrigerators to lawn mowers may differ from one store to another may differ slightly is so the stores won't have to "price match" a competitor.

"I'd like a price match with Fry's on this XYZ-123-ba6D/56g plasma television"

"I'm sorry sir, we at Best Buy only carry the XYZ-123-ab6D/56g, which is a superior product. Since it's not the same model, our price match policy doesn't apply."

Large retailers DO get unique model numbers assigned to the products they sell.

Same thing with cars . . . notice how so many of the vehicles being sold today look like the same jellybean left in the sun too long?

Everything, or mostly everything, is of poor quality.
You can pick up items and SEE where the shortcuts were made, on everything from wooden hangars (Sort though the store's inventory to find some that were actually sanded smooth) to appliances. (Do the doors line up, or is rust visible?)

Especially when shipping charges are a fraction of local sales tax.  angel
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 06:13:25 AM »
I have hated shopping all my life. 

I guess mostly because I:
a) hate crowds and traffic
b) as a "Scot" I hate to spend money

About all I need besides groceries, is blue jeans and wool socks, and horse feed.  Plus an occasional tack item now and then.  The only store I like to go into is Big R Ranch Supply (they also sell guns Smiley ).
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 06:24:13 AM »
I shop almost exclusively online anymore.  Still would like brick and mortar stores for some stuff, because it's otherwise difficult to get a good idea of the quality, exact size & fit.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 06:31:36 AM »
Living in a state that has 8+% sales tax, on any substantial purchase it's cheaper to buy online and pay shipping, even if it's the same price as in a store.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

longeyes

• friend
the gospel according to Debtors Anonymous
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 06:51:59 AM »
The troubled with you "jaded" consumer guys is you have rich inner lives.

Don't you know that inner emptiness is the reason behind shopoholism? grin
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 06:55:08 AM »
I have actually walked about the Walmart with the desire to pick up another item to add on to my single item in the cart trip
and been completely stymied, There was nothing in the entire store that I wanted, It was all crap.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 07:50:47 AM »
Living in a state that has 8+% sales tax, on any substantial purchase it's cheaper to buy online and pay shipping, even if it's the same price as in a store.

Wouldn't they charge you once the item arrives at your local post office?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 07:52:09 AM »

Nope.  You pay for the item with a credit card or you are billed.  It ships to your door.  Post Office is not in the buisness of collecting sales tax.  And don't go given them any ideas.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 07:54:39 AM »

Nope.  You pay for the item with a credit card or you are billed.  It ships to your door.  Post Office is not in the buisness of collecting sales tax.  And don't go given them any ideas.

That's what the Israeli Postal Company does - collect VAT of every Amazon package worth $50 or more.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 08:27:05 AM »
It seems that analysts are predicting a poor holiday season due to costs and a lack of stuff that people "want".

Who are these moronic analysts?  The holiday season will be slow, because the economy is slow.  Lack of stuff people want?   rolleyes
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 08:34:34 AM »
It all depends on where you shop, I suppose.  If you're in Walmart, the quality of goods is going to suck.  But that doesn't mean there aren't any good stores with high quality items.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 08:35:28 AM »
It all depends on where you shop, I suppose.  If you're in Walmart, the quality of goods is going to suck.  But that doesn't mean there aren't any good stores with high quality items.

Like?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 08:37:55 AM »
I just bought myself a new shirt at Brooks Brothers.  Top quality stuff all around in that store.  Course, their prices aren't anything like Walmart's.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 08:44:30 AM »
I just bought myself a new shirt at Brooks Brothers.  Top quality stuff all around in that store.  Course, their prices aren't anything like Walmart's.

I haven't seen a Brooks Brothers in over a decade. I didn't even know there were any more. I've seen malls where they used to be, but now those malls have more just redundant stores full of the same low-grade "blah" mentioned by others as well.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 08:49:18 AM »
Boy, I wish I had enough money to get "retail fatigue." 

I buy half of my clothes at thrift stores.  No fatigue there, because there's usually only one of anything, and you can get very good stuff for a dollar or five. 

For pants and socks, I look high and low to find my peculiar preferences in my size, at a reasonable price.  Target stopped carrying those really good socks they used to sell (cheaper than the Gold Standard Thor-Lo combat book socks, but almost as good).  But I have recently discovered kakhi carpenter pants that come in well under twenty bucks.  The color is a bit light for pants (attracts stains), but I was looking to start wearing something a bit dressier than jeans.  Gotta have that cell phone pocket on the side, people.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 08:54:57 AM »

They don't have any short sleeved button down shirts that are professional looking in my neck size.  And often, their colour selection isn't what I'd like.  BB has a thing against solid colours, especially in greys and dark blues.  I think they're just conspiring to make me get custom fitted for the extra loot.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 09:01:15 AM »
It's not so much anything to do with price, more just that it's hard to find anything of quality, only quantity.

And I know I just see no appeal in the vast glut of low quality in vast quantity. It's just "I don't need anything in this store. There is nothing I even want in this entire store." Just nothing unique, and every store in every town has the same stuff. Even as said among the guns, generic plastic muzzle-loaders and .22s.

I found an old Woolworth shirt once, vintage. That can't have been that expensive, but it was really, really well-made. Plus someone said that stores like that once even sold milsurp guns. Sears sold guns.

I can't even imagine that. That must have been more interesting, I'd think.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 09:03:33 AM »
Yep, I've noticed it too.

I'll hit the end of the week.  Nothing broke, I was pretty frugal all week, and I still have $50 left from my "allowance."

(FYI:  I give myself $200 a week for gas, groceries, dog food, car maintenance, clothing, dates, entertainment, etc.)

I'll wander through Walmart, Target, the local mall, Best Buy, Home Depot, Borders, Harbor Freight... nothing catches my eye.  No movies, no video games, no tools, no books.

It's all junk now.  I stick the extra money in the gunsafe now, sock it away for roadtrips.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 09:29:26 AM »
I did find something interesting
Target has domokun stuff for halloween this year

Maybe I will transfer a couple to the cat food isle
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"