Author Topic: Retail fatigue: Anyone else notice this?  (Read 17969 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Retail fatigue: Anyone else notice this?
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 10:01:21 AM »
I found an old Woolworth shirt once, vintage. That can't have been that expensive, but it was really, really well-made. Plus someone said that stores like that once even sold milsurp guns. Sears sold guns.

I can't even imagine that. That must have been more interesting, I'd think.
Sears sold guns via mail order . . . a long time ago.

I remember the sporting goods section of a Sears store when I was a kid . . . walk up and down the aisles, and you'd come on an aisle with a rack of guns. Shotguns and rifles, and they WERE locked down . . . but they weren't behind a counter, they were just right there across from footballs and stuff, lined up on a regular shelf.

As I got older, the shelf got smaller . . . and smaller . . . and eventually disappeared altogether before I hit my teens.  sad

This was at the big Sears store on Western Avenue . . .  in Chicago.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »
I remember Ted Williams shotsguns
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 11:14:37 AM »
I have to say, sadly enough, I gave away a Sears .22 auto rifle many years ago. Still kicking myself in the ass, for being such an ass.  undecided

In my defense it was jamming really funny like one live round stuck behind another and tough kind of dangerous feeling to clear so I figured it was done. Didn't know much about them back then. I think it was made by Savage if I'm not mistaken.  sad
Avoid cliches like the plague!

taurusowner

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 11:18:19 AM »
Somebody needs to invent pet rocks.

Or a Jump to Conclusions Mat.

I will say that whenever a new video game comes out, it's still just as hard to find a copy as it always has been, unless you preorder.  With all the talk of a recession and people spending less and all that, there are still millions of people who spend money on stuff like video games on release day.  When Rock Band 2 came out, it took me days to find a copy.  Apparently someone was buying them.  Take that for what it's worth.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 11:27:48 AM »
I am firmly in the "I don't have enough money to get tired of buying stuff" camp.  I mostly buy quality stuff and I am pretty poor, which means that the shopping process takes a lot more time and effort.  I wish that I could do the things I want/need to do without buying stuff, but it's difficult, and so I keep buying stuff. 

I buy business clothes mostly at Pendleton, some Lands' End and Coldwater Creek (womens clothes only there) as well.  Only on sale/clearance, for well under half price.  I've been buying running gear from Playmakers, a local activewear/shoe store focused on running.  I buy camping gear mostly from REI.  I monitor all those stores--the online ones anyway--for clearances and sales, and buy clothes ahead for the next season once they get discounted. 

Nah, I'm not running out of fun and interesting ways to spend money.  I tend to run out of money long before that point. 

And I agree, Brooks Brothers makes some nice stuff.  They have an outlet-type store in a mall in metro Detroit and we've found some nice stuff there for good prices, when its clearanced out.  Only trouble is their women's clothes only go up to size 12. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 12:56:57 PM »
I am trying to remember when "analysts" predicted or got a "Good" holiday season.  It seems to me that almost every year the news talks to someone who is complaining because the year isn't as good as they wanted. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 01:50:16 PM »
Everything, or mostly everything, is of poor quality.

Last year I watched It's A Wonderful Life (colorized version) for the millionth time. Dang! George had a nice suit, good shoes, his freakin SLACKS had one of those little jeans pockets. Back then everyone dressed fancy and men wore hats.

I think that ever since then the quality of clothes has gone down. Now you can't buy stuff of that quality for the equivilent price. George may not have had 12 shirts, but those he had were much better than mine.

Good clothes are dissapearing. I'd never even seen factory cuffed pants until a few weeks ago.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 02:07:07 PM »
Everything, or mostly everything, is of poor quality.

Last year I watched It's A Wonderful Life (colorized version) for the millionth time. Dang! George had a nice suit, good shoes, his freakin SLACKS had one of those little jeans pockets. Back then everyone dressed fancy and men wore hats.

I think that ever since then the quality of clothes has gone down. Now you can't buy stuff of that quality for the equivilent price. George may not have had 12 shirts, but those he had were much better than mine.

Good clothes are dissapearing. I'd never even seen factory cuffed pants until a few weeks ago.

And Lord knows movies are the most accurate representation of the way people really dress.  rolleyes
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 02:28:06 PM »
I don't just get my facts from movies.

My dad was born in 1952. The people in his community were low low middle class on down. He remembers little details from the 50's and 60's. Haircuts, car models, and even things like high backed sedans and men wearing hats on the streets (he must have been very young at the time.) Back then gas was 35 cents a gallon and women often wore dresses.

I am no fashion expert. I mostly take my dad's word that clothes were of better quality. He was there to see them. So was my grandfather. Hell, I know for a fact that guns were hand- fitted back then.

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 02:31:59 PM »
dressed fancy

Obviously I meant compared to today. Nobody wears fedoras and wool suit jackets to work now.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 02:35:33 PM »
People did wear fancier clothes "back in the day." But would you really want to live in a society where you have to put on a suit to go to the grocery store or be looked at as some filthy hippy?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 02:39:09 PM »
People did wear fancier clothes "back in the day." But would you really want to live in a society where you have to put on a suit to go to the grocery store or be looked at as some filthy hippy?

This!

Down where I live, fancy clothes are impossible.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 02:41:17 PM »
I found an old Woolworth shirt once, vintage. That can't have been that expensive, but it was really, really well-made. Plus someone said that stores like that once even sold milsurp guns. Sears sold guns.

Yes, that's true.

You could actually mail-order Hotchkiss cannon until 1968 hit.

And so help me God, I plan to live to see the day when the political climate changes to the point where I'll be able to do so.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 02:47:20 PM »
where you have to put on a suit to go to the grocery store or be looked at as some filthy hippy

Heck no!

I just like the idea of being able to buy decent quality clothes for decent prices, not to mention it being socially acceptable for a guy to wear the same (clean) shirt more than once a week. It would also be great to not be thought of as strange for a man to not take a shower every day.

The 50's certainly were not ideal times. I am no hopeless romantic.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 02:51:19 PM »
Far as my grandpa was concerned if you went out without a tie, coat and hat on you were pretty much a cretin. After he retired he'd get up every day, put on a tie and sit on that chair in the corner of the kitchen all day. I could never understand his need for the tie when he didn't go anywhere all day. They were just wierd back then.  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2008, 04:11:50 PM »
I did find something interesting
Target has domokun stuff for halloween this year

Maybe I will transfer a couple to the cat food isle

quoted for bringing the lolz.  laugh

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
I will say that whenever a new video game comes out, it's still just as hard to find a copy as it always has been, unless you preorder.  With all the talk of a recession and people spending less and all that, there are still millions of people who spend money on stuff like video games on release day.  When Rock Band 2 came out, it took me days to find a copy.  Apparently someone was buying them.  Take that for what it's worth.

The one question I would like to see answered is how are people paying for this?  Cash money on the spot or on credit.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2008, 07:44:30 PM »
This thread is disturbing.  It sounds like some of us are wandering the aisles at department stores, searching desperately for something, anything, that we just can't live without. 

Nope.  Jackets, hats and ties are not always realistic in American climes.

It would also be great to not be thought of as strange for a man to not take a shower every day.
I would just consider it smelly.  Why don't you like to shower every day? 

Plus someone said that stores like that once even sold milsurp guns. Sears sold guns.

I heard some old dudes discussing that just the other day. 

I am trying to remember when "analysts" predicted or got a "Good" holiday season.  It seems to me that almost every year the news talks to someone who is complaining because the year isn't as good as they wanted. 

Yup.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2008, 07:58:15 PM »
It would also be great to not be thought of as strange for a man to not take a shower every day.

Well, to be honest, if you don't shower everyday, people don't think you're strange. They just think you smell. They won't say anything to you, just talk about you.

Seriously, there. People sometimes can't pick up on it themselves, but if they don't shower every day, to other people, they smell.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2008, 08:04:08 PM »
This thread is disturbing.  It sounds like some of us are wandering the aisles at department stores, searching desperately for something, anything, that we just can't live without. 

Not so much that, as:

I've been good (financially) this pay period, and I'm bored.  I'd like to find a neat new toy to play with.  Some new hobby perhaps, or a tool that augments an existing hobby.  What is available at this store that might be interesting to try out?

It's an interesting revelation when there is absolutely nothing inside of a 90,000 square foot store that can engage your interest because it is all plasticized, lead-painted, poorly constructed crap.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2008, 05:51:11 AM »
where you have to put on a suit to go to the grocery store or be looked at as some filthy hippy

Heck no!

I just like the idea of being able to buy decent quality clothes for decent prices, not to mention it being socially acceptable for a guy to wear the same (clean) shirt more than once a week. It would also be great to not be thought of as strange for a man to not take a shower every day.

The 50's certainly were not ideal times. I am no hopeless romantic.

^^
1. Blame the unions for the loss of American manufacturing jobs. 3rd world sweatshops will always be cheaper, but we could at least be competitive without all the BS regulations.
2. I occasionally wear the same shirt a couple times, if I have an undershirt on and do nothing strenuous enough to sweat it up.
3. Take a shower you damn hippy.  laugh

As for the OP, there's a ton of thing's I'd like. Motorcycle, new computer(s) and better monitors for the existing, Saiga rifle and shotgun, matching "his & hers" 1911's for me and the wife, and of course books. I could spend every cent I make on books and not have enough. But we've already got about as many bookshelves as we can reasonably fit in our apartment, and they're stacked 2 deep on the sagging shelves.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2008, 07:02:25 AM »
I am the first to admit that if I am near one, I often wander into a Borders, Barnes and Noble, Half-Price Books or other bookstore with no actual purchase in mind.  I will go through the remainder and sale racks just to see if something piques my interest.  If so, I buy it.  This is the major reason why I have some 400 cookbooks at home, almost none of them bought at the cover price.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2008, 07:32:26 AM »
If you are at Walmart and can't think of something to buy, there is always the sporting goods counter with a 100 box of Winchester .45 or 9mm. There is no such thing as too much ammo unless you live on a boat.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2008, 07:33:54 AM »
If you are at Walmart and can't think of something to buy, there is always the sporting goods counter with a 100 box of Winchester .45 or 9mm. There is no such thing as too much ammo unless you live on a boat.

Dirty stuff. Hate it. S&B is cleaner AND cheaper. I tried it once, I have never seen my poor P220 look like a charcoal smoker chimney as with that crap.

Plus it's $5 more per box at Walmart than either Blazer Brass or S&B at a local gun store. Explain that?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2008, 07:44:03 AM »

Dirty stuff. Hate it. S&B is cleaner AND cheaper. I tried it once, I have never seen my poor P220 look like a charcoal smoker chimney as with that crap.

Plus it's $5 more per box at Walmart than either Blazer Brass or S&B at a local gun store. Explain that?

You get an exceptional deal on ammo at he local gun store?

WWB is even dirtier than Wolf.  I'll still buy it and shoot it, though, as it is the cheapest reloadable ammo in my area.

I would prefer S&B, but it is found locally only at local gun shops at twice the cost of WWB.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton