Author Topic: How do you keep the wife from washing her cell phone?  (Read 19858 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: How do you keep the wife from washing her cell phone?
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 04:22:50 PM »
Damn you, Gewehr98! I was about to point that out!

Does your wife really, really, really have to have a cell-phone?
If he is not careful, the next question is Does she really need those shoes?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :angel:

I'll go hide now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

crt360

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 04:26:22 PM »
The problem is not the wife or the phone, it is the laundry.

Clearly, you need to take over all laundry duties in the future, thus avoiding accidental washings of pocket contents.

But they have a "laundry chute," where we all know laundry goes to magically wash itself.
For entertainment purposes only.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 04:57:52 PM »
Over the years, the children had the occasional pocket electronics item go through the laundry, especially when I had them start doing their own laundry.  After one such incident, I did some research on the Net.  I read several posts that recommended using a forced air food dehydrator to dry out soaked electronics. This method has brought back several items from a watery demise.  It also worked on my work Blackberry when it made a suicidal leap into a toilet from my belt case. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 05:02:31 PM »
The problem is not the wife or the phone, it is the laundry.

Clearly, you need to take over all laundry duties in the future, thus avoiding accidental washings of pocket contents.

...or just take away all your wife's clothes....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 05:04:19 PM »
I have consigned drowned tech to the depths of a container of rice.

Its a home expedient desiccant

What's far worse is when chapstick survives the wash cycle and gets a hot dryer spin

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 05:20:02 PM »
That's nothing. I was on my SECOND blood pressure monitor ~$2000 from what I understand. So I got up during the night to take a wee and during the half sleepy wizzing noises I heard this splash... Yup...

I felt obligated to rinse it off/out. I mean it was already wet, how much more damage could I do?

They wouldn't let me have another one. Even though the first one broke all by itself.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 05:35:18 PM »
Take her to dinner and a movie. She's obviously doing it for attention.  =D
I promise not to duck.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
i'm the guy who in 10 years has gone through just under 50 phones.  go on free cycle and craigs list  keep a few spares around. swap sim cards after bathing phones.  i've also dryed many phones including the one i bathed in pepsi the other day
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:34:10 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

crt360

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
Maybe she just didn't know how to erase the nekkid pics your neighbor was sending of himself.

:D
For entertainment purposes only.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 05:51:57 PM »
Simmer down children.

FWIW, I see a couple rules broken here.

Rule #1 - Never let Balog see what's going on in your spousal or family relationship.

Rule #2 - See Rule #1.

Even I learned those rules, fairly quickly.   =D

:P

I'll never understand why people post things on a forum, then get all pissy when people question them on it. If everything about your wife and relationship with her are so sacrosanct and off limits, why are you going out of your way to tell the internet about it?

In any case, I don't know what's up with your life TCS: frankly I don't really care. You gave bad advice backed up with an anecdote that painted neither of you in a very good light. If an offhand comment based solely on what you said gets you so riled up, perhaps you need to calm down a bit.

That's nothing. I was on my SECOND blood pressure monitor ~$2000 from what I understand. So I got up during the night to take a wee and during the half sleepy wizzing noises I heard this splash... Yup...

I felt obligated to rinse it off/out. I mean it was already wet, how much more damage could I do?

They wouldn't let me have another one. Even though the first one broke all by itself.  :laugh:

Why do you wear a blood pressure monitor? Sleep apnea or something? I've never heard of that....

I have consigned drowned tech to the depths of a container of rice.

Its a home expedient desiccant

What's far worse is when chapstick survives the wash cycle and gets a hot dryer spin

Good advice on the rice, and I know what you mean about chapstick. That stuff is brutal if it leaks out in the dryer.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 07:03:47 PM »
AT&T?

If so, go buy one of the "Go Phones" for $10 and up.  Don't buy a simcard for it though.  Put the simcard from the washed phone into the new phone.  If you had the old phone setup to save numbers to the card, then she won't even lose her address book.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 07:43:27 PM »
AT&T?

If so, go buy one of the "Go Phones" for $10 and up.  Don't buy a simcard for it though.  Put the simcard from the washed phone into the new phone.  If you had the old phone setup to save numbers to the card, then she won't even lose her address book.
I tried that with a washed Net 10 phone. Didn't work. The new phone threw a tantrum and demanded I put in ITS simm card.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »
Why would you guys allow a woman to have a phone?

Women are allowed phones?  Must look that up--I'll put it on the research list. =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 10:28:35 PM »
Why does she need a cell phone?
If she's going to be in the kitchen all the time...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 10:35:18 PM »
Sensitive item shakedowns at your evening formation.

Now that brings back memories that had lain dormant for years
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 10:43:58 PM »
Why would telephones have cells in them?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2009, 11:18:37 PM »
Why would you guys allow a woman to have a phone?

Women are allowed phones?  Must look that up--I'll put it on the research list. =D

They make almost as nice projectiles as shoes.

=)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2009, 11:12:53 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will call the new phone every night.  If that doesn't work, I will look into the Go phones.  I'm afraid she has to have a phone, for my sake if nothing else.  I get pretty worried if she's really late coming home from work and I can't call her.   =(  Metro area traffic is no joke.   :O

Contrary to popular myth, my wife is not also my thirteen-year-old daughter.  Nor is she the thoughtless flibberty-gibbet that you seem to believe she is, Balog.   =)

I definitely believe in tough love, but my wife is an adult and I don't think I'm going to be disciplining her like a child, just because she makes honest mistakes.  Besides, I'm not the sort of detail-oriented oriented, button-downed Type A personality that you seem to be.  Wish I was, at times.  We don't have a "budget," and it's not like she's on an allowance or anything. 

Come to think of it though, we might agree on a rule where she's grounded from yard-saling or thrift-shopping for a while after she bathes the phone.  That might clear things up real quick.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 11:16:52 AM by Tactical Pants is my name. »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2009, 11:43:18 AM »
If that doesn't work, I will look into the Go phones.

Please understand I am not suggesting her having to switch to a go phone account.  Your normal monthly paid account or contract account is tied to the sim card, not the phone.

The Go Phones themselves are sold for $10-$20 as a loss leader for the Go Phone sim cards, which have the pay-as-you-go service tied to them.  The go Phone itself, however, will work with the sim card that came with your monthly (contract?) account, which was installed in the phone when you started the service, and likely survived the washing.

The AT&T employees will reluctantly admit this to you if you ask them directly, but don't offer the information themselves.

For example, you could buy a go phone for $10 and start a monthly service with them out of contract.  They would prefer though that you sign a 2-year contract in order to save $200 on the price of a modern phone.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 12:06:04 PM »
Hey, I was really careful not to say anything about your wife this time!

And no one is suggesting you "discipline" her. A budget is just one of those basic things I kind of assume most people have, and "making careless hurt" is a good rule to help anyone rectify their bahaviour. If actions have no consequences there's no real incentive to change, you know what I mean?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »
If he is not careful, the next question is Does she really need those shoes?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :angel:

I'll go hide now.

BTDT....

The comment I made in Ladysmith's thread came from this incident. 

I had just recently transferred to being a Dayho Supervisor at Airborne Express.  It was just after the sort and all our drivers were out on the street making deliveries.  Paul and I were manning the radios in dispatch.  And by manning the radios that meant we were filling out the Airborne Express version of TPS reports while we left the drivers the hell alone so that they could make their deliveries to make "service" and we could get bonuses.

Karen was one of the clerks that handled the message traffic from the Customer Service Centers and answering the phones.   Rosemary was off in her corner dealing with the misrouted freight. 

Now Karen was great at her job, she handled all the trivial crap that would otherwise throw sand in the smooth operation that was Airborne.   However, Airborne was a union shop.  Teamsters Local 705, Chicago Independent, as in Jimmy Hoffa isn't dead, he's just on vacation.   And Karen was diehard union, the company was pure evil and only the pure and gallant union made the company pay the employees more then a nickel a week.  It could do no wrong and if you asked her, the union signed her paycheck.  Norma Ray is her hero.

Anywoo, it is Election Day, Paul and I are acting like were working on our TPS reports, when Karen gets a call transferred from a CSC.  Those are always bad news.  It's always the Customer From Hell that they transfer.  If they can't answer it quickly, they pass the buck to a station, any station.  If it's either the shipping or delivery station that's just a bonus.

Anyway Paul and I are talking about the election.  It was the year Carol Mosley Braun (D-Dumber Than Dirt) was running for the US Senate for Illinois.   Of course being management we supported the Republican candidate.  Karen being UNION [insert militant fist pump], would never, ever, ever, ever, ever vote for a "let's repress the working man."  Republican.

So that's the scene, Karen trying to sweet talk the CFH, and Paul and I talking politics, when I notice that she's listening in on our conversation and getting upset with us. 

Then it happened. 

Paul said something to the effect of  "Yep, but my wife's vote will just cancel out mine."

"Dude, You let her vote??"

Karen's ear and face went beet red, and I nodded to Paul who glanced and he saw what I saw.

It was a race to bottom from there.

Yep, dinner better be on the table when we get home.   

Barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen.

We spent quite a while analyzing"Where this country went wrong ??"  Letting them work outside the home??  Giving the franchise to women??  "Nope, the wheels really came off when we let them wear shoes."

Clothing:  I'll let her make her own dresses if there's some scrap material, other then that old burlap sacks work just fine.

Both our wives were pregnant at the time, mine with our first, Paul's wife with their fourth.  "I time the pregnancy so that it doesn't slow her down pulling the plow during the planting or getting in the harvest."

Now this went on for about ten minutes.  Ten solid minutes of "I'm a bigger misogynist then you".  All the while Karen is trapped on the phone and is getting madder by the minute.   I think she finally managed to get the CFH off the phone by promising to fire the driver, kill his supervisor, burn down the station and blow up the planes.

As soon as she hung up she went flying out of the room.   A hysterical JDAM that was laser guided right into our boss's office.  It exploded and showered emotional shrapnel everywhere.   It only took about thirty seconds for our dazed, shocked and totally traumatized boss to come into the dispatch office and announce his presence.

"WTF HAVE YOU TWO A$$HOLES DONE TO KAREN??  She's in my office crying and screaming about sexual harassment, hostile work environment, and suing everybody and their brother after you two have been shot, hung, drawn and quartered." 

Rosemary peeks out from behind her dividing wall and has tears rolling down her cheeks from laughing.

Of course our boss took great delight in chewing out our butts.  "As if I don't have enough problems, without you two fracking chuckleheads lobbing fracking grenades into the fracking union camp trying to start a fracking paper fracking war."
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:46:54 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2009, 04:17:20 PM »
I repeatedly tell her to go nuts at the shoe store, or clothes shopping, as long as she gets one pair of high heels or unmentionables/lingerie...

She just buys a modest amount she needs, and no heels of underthingys though.  :| Maybe it's due to the fact I'm the one who's lost/destroyed approximately 8 phones in the past 9 years...  :rolleyes: Well, it's actually 7 she knows about.

My MIL, bless her, was over at the house, and covered for me while I scooted to the phone store and bought a replacment. FYI, don't EVER put a phone in your swimming trunks, even if you don't plan on getting in the water for an hour or two.  Even though the trunks have pockets, don't use them.   :rolleyes:
I promise not to duck.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2009, 04:44:12 PM »
Or get her and Otterbox small storage case to keep the thing in... ;)
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »
I'm the Laundry Fairy* here at Festung Scout. 

Rule#1.  If I find it in a pocket, It's mine to do with as I please. 

*Laundry Fairy - Many moons ago Mrs Scout explained to our daughter that someone has to pick-up, sort, wash, dry, fold/hang and put away the laundry.  There is no "Laundry Fairy" that does it by magic, so our daughter is now old enough to handle the pick-up and put away part of the laundry cycle.  Since then whoever has been tasked with doing the laundry is referred to as the "Laundry Fairy."  Or in my case, "The Mean, Nasty Laundry Fairy that Yells and steals the babysitting money from my pockets."  =D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2009, 10:02:02 PM »
Dude, we also have the Dishwasher Fairy at my house!  Since there was no fairy that loaded the dishes into the machine, washed them and then put them away.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.