Author Topic: Gore still hot on his doomsday rhetoric  (Read 15882 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Gore still hot on his doomsday rhetoric
« on: March 09, 2010, 12:16:49 PM »
It is about time that some MSM started to notice that Gore is spouting a lot of BS.

Gore still hot on his doomsday rhetoric
By Jeff Jacoby
Globe Columnist
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/03/03/gore_still_hot_on_his_doomsday_rhetoric/

THE CASE for global-warming alarmism is melting faster than those mythical disappearing Himalayan glaciers, but Al Gore isn’t backing down.

In a long op-ed piece for The New York Times the other day, Gore cranked up the doomsday rhetoric. Human beings, he warned, “face an unimaginable calamity requiring large-scale, preventive measures to protect human civilization as we know it.’’ His 1,900-word essay made no mention of his financial interest in promoting such measures - Gore has invested heavily in carbon-offset markets, electric vehicles, and other ventures that would profit handsomely from legislation curbing the use of fossil fuels, and is reportedly poised to become the world’s first “carbon billionaire.’’ However, he did mention “global-warming pollution’’ no fewer than four times, declaring that “our grandchildren would one day look back on us as a criminal generation’’ if we don’t move decisively to reduce it.

By “global-warming pollution,’’ Gore means carbon dioxide (CO2), which is a “pollutant’’ in roughly the way oxygen and water are pollutants: Human existence would be impossible without them. CO2 is essential to photosynthesis, the process that sustains plant life and generates the oxygen that human beings and animals inhale. Far from polluting the world, carbon dioxide enriches it. Higher levels of CO2 are associated with larger crop yields, increased forest growth, and longer growing seasons - in short, with a greener planet.
Of course carbon dioxide also contributes to the greenhouse effect that keeps the earth warm. But the vast majority of atmospheric CO2 occurs naturally, and it is far from clear that the carbon dioxide contributed by human industry has a significant impact on the world’s climate.

On the other hand, it is quite clear that the economic and agricultural activity responsible for that anthropogenic CO2 has been enormously beneficial to myriads of men, women, and children. In just the last two decades, life expectancy in developing nations has climbed appreciably and infant mortality has fallen. Hundreds of millions of Indian and Chinese citizens have been lifted out of poverty. Whatever else might be said about carbon dioxide, it has helped make possible a dramatic increase in the quality of many human lives.

But there is no awareness of such tradeoffs in Gore’s latest screed. He brushes aside as unimportant the recently exposed blunders in the 2007 assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. These include claims that Himalayan glaciers could disappear by 2035, that global warming could slash African crop yields by 50 percent, and that 55 percent of the Netherlands - more than twice the correct amount - is below sea level.

Gore seems equally untroubled by Climategate, the scandal involving researchers at the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit, who apparently schemed to manipulate temperature data, to prevent their critics from being published in peer-reviewed journals, and to destroy records and calculations to keep climate skeptics from double-checking them.

Both the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s errors and the Climatic Research Unit scandal have triggered major investigations, and opinion polls show a falloff in the percentage of the public that believes either global warming is cause for serious concern or that scientists see eye to eye on the issue. Yet Gore insists, against all evidence, that “the overwhelming consensus on global warming remains unchanged.’’

To climate alarmists like Gore, everything proves their point. For years they argued that global warming would mean a decline in snow cover and shorter ski seasons. “Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,’’ one climate scientist lamented to reporters in 2000. The IPCC itself was clear that climate change was resulting in more rain and less snow.

Undaunted, Gore now claims that the blizzards that have walloped the Northeast in recent weeks are also proof of global warming. “Climate change causes more frequent and severe snowstorms,’’ he posted on his blog last month.

Gore is a True Believer; his climate hyperbole is less a matter of science than of faith. In almost messianic terms, he urges Congress to sharply restrain Americans’ access to energy. “What is at stake,’’ he writes, “is our ability to use the rule of law as an instrument of human redemption.’’

But while Gore prays for redemption, the pews in the Church of Climate Catastrophe are gradually emptying. The public’s skeptical common sense, it turns out, is pretty robust. Just like those Himalayan glaciers.

Jeff Jacoby can be reached at jacoby@globe.com.

HankB

• friend
Re: Gore still hot on his doomsday rhetoric
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »
Gore has invested heavily in carbon-offset markets, electric vehicles, and other ventures that would profit handsomely from legislation curbing the use of fossil fuels, and is reportedly poised to become the world’s first “carbon billionaire.’’
I also remember reading that Nancy Pelosi made a sizable investment in T. Boone Pickens wind farm company . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:27:42 PM »
Related:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/7401422/Barcelona-hit-with-heaviest-snowfall-in-25-years.html

Schools were closed, roads were blocked and power was knocked as Barcelona was hit with its heaviest snowfall in 25 years.

(Yes, and please cue the apologists to say: Climate isn't weather!!!1111)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

sanman

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:15:49 PM »
Gee, no CO2....I hate flat beer........................The reason for the reduced crops in Africa is they are killing themselves off at a rapid rate.  Who is going to plant the crops?  Holland, they are just getting too high and forgetting to plant the crops.....If al gore would just shut up there would be less CO2 around........chris3

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 06:09:57 PM »

Pre-empting the factually correct response and calling apologism doesn't make it not factually correct.

Check the temperature in Crete on New Year's Day? That wasn't climate either, but it was rather hot.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 02:08:01 PM »
Among other interesting effects of global warming, the Sahara is becoming more green.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/090731-green-sahara.html

Says it all.  Al Gore has ceased to become a somewhat rational human being (if he ever was one).  He's now a numbers-driven entertainer, willing to sell himself to whatever cause he thinks will get him more money and attention.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 03:45:50 PM »
I wonder what Mr. Gore would say if he found out all the CO2 that volcanoes and stuff spew out all the time.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 04:27:03 PM »
Geeziz, he looks like Ratso Rizzo in that photo.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 06:07:33 PM »
I wonder what Mr. Gore would say if he found out all the CO2 that volcanoes and stuff spew out all the time.

I know exactly what he'd say.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 06:36:17 PM »
I know exactly what he'd say.
Ok, I'm curious. [popcorn]
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 11:23:07 PM »
Ok, I'm curious. [popcorn]

He'd ask if they wanted to buy carbon offsets and that he knew just the guy to talk to...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 02:48:08 PM »

Knowing the difference between climate and weather doesn't automatically make a person an apologist.   :facepalm:  Use a little logic, please!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 03:05:54 PM »
Gore actually said that the record snowfalls in DC this winter were caused by global warming.  No matter the changing weather cycle, he will always find a way to distort it to fit his agenda.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 03:30:01 PM »
Gore actually said that the record snowfalls in DC this winter were caused by global warming.  No matter the changing weather cycle, he will always find a way to distort it to fit his agenda.
This has been the coldest winter I've seen here, and we usually only get about a quarter inch of snow per year, if any.
This year we go like 6 inches...twice.  A couple days apart with some more dusting and inches or so spread around.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 11:03:15 PM »
algoreaphobia - an irrational fear provoked by the words "global warming", "climate change", "IPCC", often expressed in hysterical comments posted on the internet.   [popcorn]

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 12:03:46 AM »
the algore complex, an irrational fear that the sky is eating people. and your going to be next. :angel:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 10:57:45 AM »
Cold in the winter, hot in the summer: it's just the algorythymn of the seasons.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 04:43:23 PM »
I'm remembering all the Futurama episodes with Al Gore in them.
Let's take a look at Futurama.
It's the year 3,000 and everything that's happening and exists then is imagined by thinking "How are things now?  How can they be completely different from now?"  It's basically a world where the creators envisioned things as ridiculous and comical as they could in order to create a world based solely on comedy.
So you end up with things that are totally ridiculous and likely never to happen.  Like baconated grape fruit, and caffeinated bacon...and global warming.
I imagine Al Gore thought he was doing something to help his cause by appearing in those episodes.

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 05:37:04 PM »
One of the claims of "global warming" is that all weather patterns would increase in severity. Colder winters, hotter summers, not just everything is going to get hotter.

I don't know about all of Mr. Gores claims, especially the b.s. carbon credits but we are damaging the earth. Pollution does affect us all, increased cancer rates, fouling of natural habitats, ect.  Ever hear of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch? Its twice as big as Texas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISaGrlpK2zE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLrVCI4N67M

Decomposing plastics leak BPA and other chemicals into our oceans which are a know carcinogenic. It also enters our own food supply when fish eat the smaller fragments of plastic, which in turn are eaten by us.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »
I don't know about all of Mr. Gores claims, especially the b.s. carbon credits but we are damaging the earth. Pollution does affect us all, increased cancer rates, fouling of natural habitats, ect. Ever hear of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch? Its twice as big as Texas!
[/b]
You are trying to change the subject. 

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 07:34:55 PM »
One of the claims of "global warming" is that all weather patterns would increase in severity. Colder winters, hotter summers, not just everything is going to get hotter.

I don't know about all of Mr. Gores claims, especially the b.s. carbon credits but we are damaging the earth. Pollution does affect us all, increased cancer rates, fouling of natural habitats, ect.  Ever hear of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch? Its twice as big as Texas!

Changing the subject.  Pollution is bad.  Littering is bad.  Most of us would like to see our natural resources conserved.  But this is about the great Green Leader, Al Gore, and his doomsday prophecies. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 10:14:52 PM »
Al Gore would be a lot more popular if he was trying to do something like cleaning up the garbage patch instead of trying to push a policy that is an acknowledged failure in places where it has already been tried.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/may/28/opinion/ed-carbontax28?pg=2

Europeans strike out

To understand the drawbacks of cap-and-trade, one has to look not only at the successful U.S. acid rain program but the failed European Emissions Trading Scheme, the first phase of which started in January 2005. European Union members each developed emissions goals, then passed out credits to polluters. Yet for a variety of reasons, the initial cap was set so high that the polluters fell under it without making any reductions at all. The Europeans are working to improve the scheme in the next phase, but their chances of success aren't good.

One reason is the power of lobbyists. In Europe, as in the U.S., special interests have a way of warping the political process so that, for example, a corporation generous with its campaign contributions might win an excessive number of credits. It's also very easy in many European countries to cheat; because there aren't strong agencies to monitor and verify emissions, companies or utilities can pretend they're cleaner than they are.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »
Al Gore would be a lot more popular if he was trying to do something like cleaning up the garbage patch instead of trying to push a policy that is an acknowledged failure in places where it has already been tried.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/may/28/opinion/ed-carbontax28?pg=2

Here's the fallacy of your logic:

It's not a failure for Al Gore:  He is FILTHY STINKING RICH.  He has gotten rich on the back of Global Warming Hysteria.  The more people believe, the richer he gets. 
JD

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 10:29:25 PM »
i just remembered something, so have some linkage. [popcorn]
oh not work safe as always. :facepalm:

man those guy's are, well, ummm, ahhh, something anyway. =D