Author Topic: WI CCW (Apps for residents) starts today  (Read 19870 times)

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Re: WI CCW (Apps for residents) starts today
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »
It's pretty much going to be my Glock 26, with my Keltec P32 with a CTC laser on it as backup/micro carry.

I have a Glock 21, but it doesn't work for my hands. I've had it since '94 I really should auction the damn thing off..  I've also got a S&W 66 (4" maybe a bit long), 686 3", and a 36 chief's special I could use.

I'm big enough my HK USP40, wouldn't be much of a problem either.

I've got a Springfield GI "Milspec", but I'd like to get it re-worked if I went that route. Novak sites, some better grips, get the flat mainspring housing, beavertail, other doo-dads added on. I'm not much of a 1911 guy though.

I've been thinking about a KT PF9, or maybe a Walther PPS. However, I don't know that they're really THAT much smaller than the G26, when it disappears so readily, and is so reliable, and a good shooter for me.
I have a Taurus PT945 and a Millinenum Pro both in 45ACP, a Taurus Ultra-lite 45 in 45 LC and a Bulgarian Mak in 9mm Mak.

The S&W bodyguard I am interested in is the .38 revolver with the crimson trace laser.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 06:00:32 PM »
No, they'll be there.

They're just doing their third, (or fourth?) FFL shift to a different relative under a new slightly different incorporation.

Either the news media is too ignorant to understand this, or they're intentionally sandbagging the story to create more easy copy with "outrage" when they close on Dec 31 as "Badger Guns", and re-open on Jan 2 as "Badger Firearms Inc." or whatever.

The old Beatovic guy who was the original owner mouthing off that he'd like to see all private sales banned in WI was the more than final straw for me.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Regardless, I generally go to Fletcher's anyway.
Andy

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 06:24:32 PM »
>Anyone from WI decide what their carry gun is going to be already? Right now I have 4 to choose from but I may buy a fifth now that CCW is a reality. The others were more of a stow+go and chosen more for portability than CCW. <

Already have my "lineup"...

Will rotate by mood between the Beretta M9, Colt Officer's, and Smith 19 (see my avatar). Seecamp in pocket.

Spoon is just going to stick with her Kimber (reminds me, have to get more Officer 45 mags)...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 07:08:31 PM »
It's pretty much going to be my Glock 26, with my Keltec P32 with a CTC laser on it as backup/micro carry.

I have a Glock 21, but it doesn't work for my hands. I've had it since '94 I really should auction the damn thing off.. 

G2, then?   Hmmm.  Let us know.

I've also got a S&W 66 (4" maybe a bit long), 686 3", and a 36 chief's special I could use.

I'm big enough my HK USP40, wouldn't be much of a problem either.

I've got a Springfield GI "Milspec",

I missed an incredible deal on one, last gun show.  <sigh>
but I'd like to get it re-worked if I went that route. Novak sites, some better grips, get the flat mainspring housing, beavertail, other doo-dads added on. I'm not much of a 1911 guy though.

I've been thinking about a KT PF9, or maybe a Walther PPS. However, I don't know that they're really THAT much smaller than the G26, when it disappears so readily, and is so reliable, and a good shooter for me.

I contemplate selling my PF9.  It's pretty darn small, but not LCP type small, and I trust my Taurus snub more.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 11:14:35 PM »
Local TV station WTMJ 4 had a story about the new CCW law and some video to go along with it. They show a guy filling out the form. Some things I noticed:
1. He used a "/" instead of a "X" like the instructions specify.
2. He marked "yes" to the question of being a legal alien of the United States.
3. He marked "no" to being a WI resident and possessing legal DL or ID.
4. He marked "no" to being at least 21.

My guess it will take less than 45 days for the DOJ to reject his application.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 11:24:26 PM »
Local TV station WTMJ 4 had a story about the new CCW law and some video to go along with it. They show a guy filling out the form. Some things I noticed:
1. He used a "/" instead of a "X" like the instructions specify.
2. He marked "yes" to the question of being a legal alien of the United States.
3. He marked "no" to being a WI resident and possessing legal DL or ID.
4. He marked "no" to being at least 21.

My guess it will take less than 45 days for the DOJ to reject his application.

Could be a plant to try and trip up the process.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 12:35:36 AM »
Was it Jim Doyle?

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
http://www.todaystmj4.com/multimedia/videos/?bctid=1253518752001
A link to the story I mentioned. When I watched the video from the link it is too blurry to see the form as he is filling it out. I first watched the story in HD last night so I was able to see the form more clearly.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 10:34:46 AM »
You can fill out everything on the .PDF right on the screen before printing, save for your signature. Avoiding any problems of legibility.  :facepalm:

I was struck by the form's similarity to the 4473 yes/no questions.
I promise not to duck.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 10:53:38 AM »
You can fill out everything on the .PDF right on the screen before printing, save for your signature. Avoiding any problems of legibility.  :facepalm:

When I first downloaded the form I did not notice it had interactive fields. I just wanted get it in the mail before our company's first mail ran in the morning.  =(

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 11:03:51 AM »
I'm just peeved, because I can't figure out what MS-Office 2010 did with the zip barcode option when printing an envelope.

I guess the USPS' rapid fire OCR scanner/sorters will do well enough with neatly laser printed addresses, but that bar code might have shaved a day off of it getting to Madison.

I should have just stayed up after midnight, and drove it to the airport of downtown branch.  =D
I promise not to duck.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 04:30:52 PM »
>I was struck by the form's similarity to the 4473 yes/no questions. <

Yep... I had the same thought...

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »
How long should we wait before pushing for a repeal of the 48 hour waiting period when buying a handgun?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »
Not a bad idea, but would be better to wait a year or so.

Let the public get used to the lack of blood in the streets and so on. And maybe for a couple anecdotes of people applying for an emergency permit, but having to wait 48 hours to get a gun to use, and you'll have a good opportunity...

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »
And maybe for a couple anecdotes of people applying for an emergency permit, but having to wait 48 hours to get a gun to use...

And how are people going to hear about this? Will you go door to door?

You know the Journal Sentinel would omit the point about the waiting period.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 12:03:36 AM »
I might be travelling to Appleton, WI later this week -- about an 80% chance.  Are there any places that are off-limits to CCW?  (I know "concealed means concealed", but I prefer to be legal if at all possible)  How where OC is allowed and CC is not?  I'm not planning on doing any drinkin' or visiting any courthouses or military bases...
"It's good, though..."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 03:52:39 AM »
Check the DOJ website linked earlier, it covers 'em all.

PM sent with my number: I'm only an hour from Appleton...

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 11:42:27 AM »
I might be travelling to Appleton, WI later this week -- about an 80% chance.  Are there any places that are off-limits to CCW?  (I know "concealed means concealed", but I prefer to be legal if at all possible)  How where OC is allowed and CC is not?  I'm not planning on doing any drinkin' or visiting any courthouses or military bases...
If I remember right one of the police chiefs in that area directed his officers to do treat OCers in the same manner they do with felony stops where they think the contact is armed...prone and sucking concrete.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
That's true. Same chief also got removed fairly soon after that...

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2011, 01:11:50 AM »
PM sent with my number: I'm only an hour from Appleton...

Thanks.  An hour which direction?  I'm coming from Minnesota; will be busy with meetings and stuff Friday afternoon and evening, and Saturday morning.  Not sure if I have any time Saturday or not.

I read thru the WI carry permit training material; I jumped ahead to the legal stuff at the end.  I think I'll be OK -- and I'm staying out of Madison and Milwaukee [shakes fist in general direction of M&M]
"It's good, though..."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2011, 02:29:15 AM »
I'm on the lakeshore in Manitowoc...

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2011, 09:00:02 AM »
I've seen my first posting, in person.

It's the other business we share our building with in our outer-ring Milwaukee suburb. We share a bathroom in a small foyer with two locking doors from each side. They sell high end office furniture and cubicle systems there.

I'll have to slip around to their main entrance and see if they posted it as well. There's a couple of gunnies at my place of employment, including the owner, and I'm curious if this is a response to all the news over CCW coming on-line, or if it's aimed at us in particular. We don't cross over into their space, nor they ours, but the doors are open all day, and only eight feet apart, so I'm wondering if they overheard anyone "talking guns" on our side.
I promise not to duck.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2011, 09:40:33 AM »
You should put up a sign on your door stating that legally owned and carried firearms are more than welcome.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2011, 09:43:06 AM »
Marquette University posted all their building entrances with "No Weapons" signs weeks ago.
Andy