Author Topic: Grenade burns sleeping girl as SWAT team raids home  (Read 4604 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Grenade burns sleeping girl as SWAT team raids home
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 03:58:34 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »
I would think the Judge authorizing this would be asking these questions too.

I would think the judge who authorized this raid should be removed from the bench and never allowed anywhere near the legal profession ever again, other than as a client.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 04:16:05 PM »
does it have to be a judge?  or can a magistrate sign off in montana? the training for magistrates here is less than optimal
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 04:16:43 PM »
I was thinking that they might have gotten the wrong house, but I don't know this area and how likely that was.  If they were lying about the "intel" and it was just a rumor from some punk, then that is worse.  Either way, they are responsible.  

It's a somewhat older but still nice neighborhood.

It's right off one of the main shopping streets (24th St W) on the west side, not too far from King Avenue which is Big Box Row.

It's definitely the Right Side of the Tracks (literally).
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 05:18:27 PM »
How well do flash bangs work on people who are sleeping?  It seems that it would not disorient them much at all.
I'd imagine they would quite well. I think getting woken up by an earsplitting bang would be pretty damn disorienting.
Look, tiny text!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 05:24:12 PM »
I'd imagine they would quite well. I think getting woken up by an earsplitting bang and 2nd degree burns would be pretty damn disorienting.
FIFY
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 06:06:15 PM »
Whoever made the decision has qualified immunity.  The judge who signed it has sovereign immunity.

As Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 3, there's a time for everything.  Since this is a public forum, I won't say out-loud what time it is.

It is getting close to tar & feathers time.  When gov't critters claim they are above the law and then act lawlessly, they leave is few options.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 06:18:11 PM »
U.S. Constitution - Amendment 4

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Personally, I'm seeing a serious 4th Amendment violation here. Every single person involved in this debacle of an operation should have sworn an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States of America. They failed -- miserably -- to honor that oath and to respect this girl's RIGHT to be secure in her person and in her home. I would say for a teenager to be awakened by a flash-bang being set off so close to her bed that she suffers serious burns is pretty danged "unreasonable."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »
I'd imagine they would quite well. I think getting woken up by an earsplitting bang would be pretty damn disorienting.

Perhaps, but on the wrong person it would lead to some pretty negative results. I was woken up to the sound of rockets exploding nearby in Afghanistan a few times. Some six years later I find that when kids in my apartment complex set off firecrackers when I'm sleeping I still snap awake briefly wondering where my rifle is before I realize I'm at home.  =|

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 08:33:32 PM »
Perhaps, but on the wrong person it would lead to some pretty negative results. I was woken up to the sound of rockets exploding nearby in Afghanistan a few times. Some six years later I find that when kids in my apartment complex set off firecrackers when I'm sleeping I still snap awake briefly wondering where my rifle is before I realize I'm at home.  =|
That is what I was thinking.  It doesn't blind you or anything so it depends on how you react.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 08:34:38 PM »
They failed -- miserably -- to honor that oath and to respect this girl's RIGHT to be secure in her person and in her home. I would say for a teenager to be awakened by a flash-bang being set off so close to her bed that she suffers serious burns is pretty danged "unreasonable."
'Failed miserably' is too soft of terms, in fact it goes way beyond negligence and is encroaching on malice.

If some loser threw an incendiary device on my daughter while she was sleeping, the only thing reasonable about it would be that those involved should be expected to be looking over their shoulders the rest of their miserable lives and spend as little time as possible between cover.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »
I would think the judge who authorized this raid should be removed from the bench and never allowed anywhere near the legal profession ever again, other than as a client.
I was trying to leave room for the police misrepresenting their "evidence".  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 09:24:27 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2012, 09:29:36 PM »
Talk about hitting rock bottom and starting to dig...that's a pathetic and despicable excuse of law enforcement operations. *This* is a good example of police way overstepping their bounds.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2012, 10:46:30 PM »

A 12-year-old girl suffered burns to one side of her body when a flash grenade went off next to her as a police SWAT team raided a West End home Tuesday morning.

"She has first- and second-degree burns down the left side of her body and on her arms," said the girl's mother, Jackie Fasching. "She's got severe pain. Every time I think about it, it brings tears to my eyes."

Every time *I* think about it, my trigger finger tenses.

Medical staff at the scene tended to the girl afterward and then her mother drove her to the hospital, where she was treated and released later that day.

A photo of the girl provided by Fasching to The Gazette shows red and black burns on her side.

Police Chief Rich St. John said the 6 a.m. raid at 2128 Custer Ave., was to execute a search warrant as part of an ongoing narcotics investigation by the City-County Special Investigations Unit.

As has been stated before, a search warrant.  This looks more like a "use it or lose it" budgetary SWAT raid than normal procedure...

The grenade is commonly called a "flash-bang" and is used to disorient people with a bright flash, a loud bang and a concussive blast. It went off on the floor where the girl was sleeping. She was in her sister's bedroom near the window the grenade came through, Fasching said.

A SWAT member attached it to a boomstick, a metal pole that detonates the grenade, and stuck it through the bedroom window. St. John said the grenade normally stays on the boomstick so it goes off in a controlled manner at a higher level.

Again, this has been stated before, but WTF WERE THEY THINKING?!?!?!?!?!?!

METHAMPHETAMINE PRODUCTION CREATES LARGE AMOUNTS OF EXPLOSIVE FUMES.  THIS IS WHY METH LABS COMMONLY EXPLODE.

Where the FRAK did these idiots get certified to be police officers, an arcade with a Lethal Enforcers machine?

However, the officer didn't realize that there was a delay on the grenade when he tried to detonate it.

Why the hell not?  Shouldn't the man DEPLOYING THE WEAPON SYSTEM be at least somewhat passingly familiar with HOW IT FRAKKING WORKS?!?!?

He dropped it to move onto a new device, St. John said. The grenade fell to the floor and went off near the girl.

What a GREAT idea.  Let's take a dud/hangfired device, and instead of removing it and tossing it out into the street where it can safely be disposed of later, let's DROP IT INSIDE, so there's the possibility of it sympathetically detonating when the NEXT one is deployed.

"It was totally unforeseen, totally unplanned and extremely regrettable," St. John said. "We certainly did not want a juvenile, or anyone else for that matter, to get injured."

Yea, I'll bet the paperwork is such a bitch.

She and her two daughters and her husband were home at the time of the raid. She said her husband, who suffers from congenital heart disease and liver failure, told officers he would open the front door as the raid began and was opening it as they knocked it down.

Of course they did.  They're NOT ABOUT to be denied their chance to tear *expletive deleted* up without ANY possibility of reprisal or responsibility.

When the grenade went off in the room, it left a large bowl-shaped dent in the wall and "blew the nails out of the drywall," Fasching said.

St. John said investigators did plenty of homework on the residence before deciding to launch the raid but didn't know children were inside.

This bit left me damned near speechless when I first read this this afternoon.  "Plenty of homework" my ass.  If they would have, they would have noticed the 2 kids there.
"The information that we had did not have any juveniles in the house and did not have any juveniles in the room," he said. "We generally do not introduce these disorienting devices when they're present."

Oh, so there *IS* a time you'll use those devices when kids are present? Good to know.

How about if you need to arrest someone, you snatch them up outside the home, and they search the house withOUT all the jackbooted thuggery?

The decision to use a SWAT team was based on a detailed checklist the department uses when serving warrants.

1 - Is there SWAT budget left over? If yes, let's find a raid
2 - Do we have information for a potential raid?
3 - Load up all our tacticool gear
4 - Drive to Raid Location
5 - Attempt to deploy Tacticool Gear.  Glance at manual, but throw that damned thing away.  It's just too hard, and we'll figure it out, anyway.
6 - If anyone attempts to peacefully let us in, pretend we didn't hear them and DEPLOY EVERYTHING! Extra jackbootings for everyone
7 - Shoot all dogs
8 - Shoot the cats, too
9 - Shoot any grandparents / old people present, you know how treacherous those old people can be.

Investigators consider dozens of items such as residents' past criminal convictions, other criminal history, mental illness and previous interactions with law enforcement.

Each item is assigned a point value and if the total exceeds a certain threshold, SWAT is requested. Then a commander approves or rejects the request.

In Tuesday's raid, the points exceeded the threshold and investigators called in SWAT.

I want to see the information they used to decide to do this raid, but that'll never happen.

"Every bit of information and intelligence that we have comes together and we determine what kind of risk is there," St. John said. "The warrant was based on some hard evidence and everything we knew at the time."

Yea, your evidence was so good you MISSED THE PRESENCE OF KIDS.  You bastards knew NOTHING.

But Fasching said the risk wasn't there and the entry created, for her and her daughters, a sense of fear they can't shake.

If this were a just world, this would be creating, in the cops, a sense of fear of the unemployment line.

A claims process has already been started with the city. St. John said it's not an overnight process, but it does determine if the Police Department needs to make restitution.

I would say YES.

"If we're wrong or made a mistake, then we're going to take care of it," he said. "But if it determines we're not, then we'll go with that. When we do this, we want to ensure the safety of not only the officers, but the residents inside."

Right, so one of your methods to "ensure the safety of the residents inside" is to drop UXO off of the stick into the house you're raiding, so you can attach another? There should be CHARGES against this kind of *expletive deleted*.

No arrests were made during the raid and no charges have been filed, although a police spokesman said afterward that some evidence was recovered during the search. St. John declined to release specifics of the drug case, citing the active investigation, but did say that "activity was significant enough where our drug unit requested a search warrant."

Fasching said she's considering legal action but, for now, is more concerned about her daughters.

Yea, I'm really sure.  If they were so significant, then why were no arrests made on the spot?

"I would like to see whoever threw those grenades in my daughter's room be reprimanded," she said. "If anybody else did that it would be aggravated assault. I just want to see that the city is held accountable for what they did to my children."

Reprimanded my ass, try FIRED, CHARGED, and SUED.

GAAAAH, this pisses me right the hell off.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:02:27 PM by Phyphor »
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »
1 - Is there SWAT budget left over? If yes, let's find a raid
2 - Do we have information for a potential raid?
3 - Load up all our tacticool gear
4 - Drive to Raid Location
5 - Attempt to deploy Tacticool Gear.  Glance at manual, but throw that damned thing away.  It's just too hard, and we'll figure it out, anyway.
6 - If anyone attempts to peacefully let us in, pretend we didn't hear them and DEPLOY EVERYTHING! Extra jackbootings for everyone
7 - Shoot all dogs
8 - Shoot the cats, too
9 - Shoot any grandparents / old people present, you know how treacherous those old people can be.

This form of detailed checklist rings all too true and is being used far too often.  :mad:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2012, 11:49:54 PM »
Phyphor brings up another issue that I have remarked upon before: the gear-queer mentality that thinks SWAT = Cool Toys, no training necessary.

From the looks of things, SWAT is not intended to be used against hard, evil men.  They just don't act like they might face such men.  I don't believe them when they claim heightened danger, because they don't act like there is a heightened danger. 

Sell all the gear or don't buy it and spend the money they save/make on training street cops to be more effective in a fight or train the detectives to do their homework better so fewer teenaged girls get flash-bang alarm clocks.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2012, 11:58:40 PM »
Maiming a few teenage girls cuz we hit the wrong house is a small price to pay for all this cool stuff the feds give us! (it's a small price because someone else has to pay it)
"It's good, though..."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2012, 01:48:34 AM »
You go to a house where you "suspect" there's a meth lab (just skip all that surveillance stuff, that's too time consuming and expensive) and you toss in . . . a FLASH BANG! grenade, because that's absolutely how you roll around famously inflammable chemicals and stuff like that.

Inconceivable!

There is a reason why they're called "pyrotechnics". Pyro and meth are not good combinations. Actually pyrotechnics and the interior of houses are often not a good combination.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »
Judging by the comments, I guess everyone else is thinking that cop was never allowed to actually practice with "real" flash bangs.  Cost too much I am sure.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2012, 08:57:25 AM »
There is a reason why they're called "pyrotechnics". Pyro and meth are not good combinations. Actually pyrotechnics and the interior of houses are often not a good combination.

Waco, TX for $200, Alex.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”