Author Topic: Pancake holsters ...  (Read 2809 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Pancake holsters ...
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:23:14 AM »
I always thought pancake holsters were a good idea, because one thing I really hate is a sidearm flopping around on my belt.

Now I got one and I don't know ...  =|

My waist is roughly oval, and the holster is basically flat.  Only place I can find that it sorta works is behind my hip (4 or 5 o'clock position) where there is a bit of a flat spot on my waist.  Maybe it will soften up  ???

Also, I seem to have to run my belt on the outside of the holster - otherwise my belt makes this huge double-S pattern that shoves everything out  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
Re: Pancake holsters ...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »
Which one did you get?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
Double-plus agree on the observations.

I have one from Simply Rugged for my 4" Ruger Redhawk.

Now, a Redhawk is a damned hard gun to conceal, no matter what.  But as long as I put that holster at about 7:30 on my hip (southpaw) I can conceal a .44mag.  The only part of the pancake holster that seems to bend for me is the forward belt loop located around 9:00.

It's taken on a little bit of bend, but it's a pretty stiff holster.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:20:35 PM »
Which one did you get?

Silver dollar pancake from Simply Rugged.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »
For anything other than standing, I need to wear all my IWB holsters around 730 (lefty) for comfort. I have a lot more position leeway with OWB holsters.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »
I can't stand pancake holsters for anything larger than a j-frame.  They just don't sit well on my hip.  Even with a j-frame, the sometimes press the cylinder into my hip too much.  I use 120 style holster for my big guns and a Hume JIT for my j-frame (when not pocket carrying).

Chris

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 01:25:12 PM »
Being, uhm, girth-enhanced, I generally find pancake holsters comfortable, and I like the way weight is distributed over more belt area. My SR Sourdough Pancake with IWB straps makes toting my 3" 65 extremely comfy. I can see, though, how a larger frame gun, a narrow waist, and a stiff-molded holster might be problematic.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »
I can't stand pancake holsters for anything larger than a j-frame.  They just don't sit well on my hip.  Even with a j-frame, the sometimes press the cylinder into my hip too much.  I use 120 style holster for my big guns and a Hume JIT for my j-frame (when not pocket carrying).

Chris

LCR  :facepalm:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »
Try a Hume JIT.  They're inexpensive, but hold the gun well.  I've roughhoused with my girls on the floor without the coming out of the holster or flopping around.  I've also run around the yard and playground with it on and not had the gun come out. 

After a few years of use, with a steel j-frame, the stitching at the top back (next to the triggerguard) of the holster started to loosen.   When I say loosened, it wasn't in danger of falling apart, just that the leather seam had opened up a millimeter or so at the edge of the opening due to use over the years.  I ran a few passes of upholstery thread through that area and now it's tighter than when it was new.

I've tried several other holster, custom and production, and keep coming back to the JIT.

Here is a pick of a JIT with an SP101 (not my gun or pic).  I've circled the area that loosened up. 

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »
Not gonna buy another holster  =(

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 07:01:21 PM »
Not gonna buy another holster  =(

Wanna trade holster boxes?  There's a chance, albeit small, that you have something I have not tried and discarded yet.

stay safe.

(Actually, I no longer have a box full of discfarded holsters.  I bit the bullet a few years ago and offered them up at yard-sale prices.  They are gone.  I am happy.)
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 09:39:36 PM »
Pancakes are good, with plenty of bacon

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 12:39:54 AM »
^^^^mmmm yummy.  and talk about perfect conceilment.

i've tried a pancake holster and found the 2:00 position to be comfortable for carry, but awkward for access. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 08:30:17 AM »
I don't need a holster. I keep my pancakes on my bunny's head.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 09:12:26 AM »
^^^^mmmm yummy.  and talk about perfect conceilment.

i've tried a pancake holster and found the 2:00 position to be comfortable for carry, but awkward for access.  

You must be bigger around the middle than me.  At that position it just rocks on my hip bone.   =(

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
perhaps 1:00, as it sits just forward of the hip

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »
MTAC from Comptac is it for me. I find it sits well at about 2:30 for me. But then, I'm on the large side.
Hi.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 05:48:14 PM »
perhaps 1:00, as it sits just forward of the hip

Not really sure there is room between hip bone and belt buckle  =|

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 06:46:36 PM »
Not really sure there is room between hip bone and belt buckle  =|

i think it's what is called appendix carry.  the barrel is just forward of the hip bone, and the grip comes back over the top of it.  of course i have a 40" waist, which may add some room to the dimensions.   =D

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 06:48:37 PM »
MTAC from Comptac is it for me. I find it sits well at about 2:30 for me. But then, I'm on the large side.

Ive got one on order for a deep CCW test. Entered production today, should be done in a week and then shipped.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 07:10:16 PM »
i think it's what is called appendix carry.  the barrel is just forward of the hip bone, and the grip comes back over the top of it.  of course i have a 40" waist, which may add some room to the dimensions.   =D

Well, sure - I can stuff it in my waistband and it rides there quite nicely.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »
I got a SR for my buddies 6" 629.  I had a similar problem, just too much leather for my front-to-back dimension to wear strong-side.

Works good using the crossdraw slot though, in front of my left hip.

I think the leather would loosen with time to conform better but it is likely to be like wearing brand new old school Levis, stiff and uncomfortable for a while.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 08:01:15 PM »
maybe we need to stone wash the holsters before wearing them?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 09:12:16 PM »
maybe we need to stone wash the holsters before wearing them?

Might work
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 02:03:26 AM »
I too have the "holster drawer" full of holsters I thought I needed. Right now I use either a HF1 belt holster from Tucker Gunleather or a Comptac paddle holster. I have not found a pancake holster that I liked. Same gos for IWB holsters. So I simplified holsters for me. I dress around the gun and holster. I'm 6ft2 225 and the tucker or the comptac with a full size 1911 disappears under a one size larger t shirt.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.