Author Topic: Eydie Gorme dies at 84  (Read 630 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Eydie Gorme dies at 84
« on: August 11, 2013, 01:51:16 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/08/10/popular-singer-eydie-gorme-dies-at-84/

I suppose not many remember her and Steve Lawrence any more.

They were a staple on TV shows of the 1960s.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Eydie Gorme dies at 84
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:00:17 PM »
Very true that many folks have forgotten her and her husband.  I hadn't thought of them in years, myself.
She was a great singer.  Sad to see her go.  Rest in peace.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »
Great voice.  Great stage appeal.  Much under-appreciated for helping to move adult popular music towards R&R  Among all her accomplishments she rarely gets credit for never having sung with Pat Boone.  (If you were white and listened to "approved" pop music in the 50's/early 60's you will understand that.)  Also moved "Latin" music from novety to mainstream well ahead of the "brown revolution".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 09:53:54 PM »
who? ???  =| [/tallpine]

=D

Chris

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:52:07 PM »
I blame it on the bossa nova
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:52:34 AM »
who? ???  =| [/tallpine]

=D

Chris

You're right - I pretty much haven't paid too much attention to popular music the past 30 years or so  ;)

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin