Author Topic: Backhoe control?  (Read 1554 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Backhoe control?
« on: September 24, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/19/north-carolina-dad-charged-with-involuntary-manslaughter-after-dirt-hole/?intcmp=obinsite

Arwood was operating a backhoe in a pit in April when the walls caved in on the children. The bodies of 6-year-old Chloe Jade Arwood and 7-year-old James Levi Caldwell were dug out the next day.

Maybe we need a permit to own a backhoe?  ;/

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Backhoe control?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »
The North Carolina father who was working in a two-story-deep dirt hole that collapsed and killed his daughter and her cousin was charged Thursday with two counts of involuntary manslaughter.

Bolded for emphasis.

Isn't that typically the size/type of hole that is created when one wants to build a skyscraper?  That's a LOT of earth to remove to build a rammed earth home, as he claims.

Interesting that the po-po chose to search his house (for what?  the girls are in the hole) and found guns and a pot plant, and decided to randomly charge him with possession of guns and drugs.  The guns would have been a non-issue if the MJ plant wasn't there, but the two of them together makes him a meth distributing kingpin, I guess.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 02:39:26 PM »
In an OSHA 40-hr class, I saw photographs/video of industrial accidents involving cave-ins.  After seeing that, there's no way I'll even consider going into a pit deeper then my waist that doesn't have the walls properly secured.

The story notes the man was a convicted felon; presumably that's why the guns were taken.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »
We dug down a good 15-18 feet to fix foundation drainage on our house a couple years ago. 20 feet isn't spectacuarly deep. We didn't secure a *expletive deleted* permit either

You don't go down in a trench without shoring...the children shouldn't have been down there.

The depth is fairly irrelevant in this case, shallower trenches/holes collapse all the time.

The article doesn't go into detail but
"Arwood was charged with possession of a gun by a felon"

Looks like he's been previously convicted of a felony. Sorry, the law is pretty clear on that one, felons cannot posses guns. Shoulda been smarter than to keep guns and drugs around the house (what kind of responsible father keeps drugs in the same house as his kids? The *expletive deleted*ck?)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Backhoe control?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
Saw a picture of the hole. He needed a permit.
Heard he was building a bunker

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 04:49:22 PM »
Kind of sounds like a "meth project" with slightly better logistics than average in the form of said backhoe.

i.e. Meth-head in the up-phase of taking a hit are similar to manic depressives in the manic phase, think they can "do anything" will rip down walls as they decide to "remodel the house at 3am" etc.

I promise not to duck.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »
Kind of sounds like a "meth project" with slightly better logistics than average in the form of said backhoe.

i.e. Meth-head in the up-phase of taking a hit are similar to manic depressives in the manic phase, think they can "do anything" will rip down walls as they decide to "remodel the house at 3am" etc.

Ah interesting theory

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »
I went to a couple of 'heavy rescue' seminars for the paramedic gig, and it was there that I learned that holes and trenches are nothing to sneeze at.  It is quite a skillset to do the rescues for these incidents and the confined spaces. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 04:59:08 PM »
Not parent of the year material for certain.  =(

I don't figure the searching of the house either.  Evidence might get squelched  =|

My point was that almost anything could be used foolishly and cause serious harm.

Maybe we should ban canning jars because of the risk of botulism.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »
even a waist high hole can hurt you bad
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »

Yes, but the risk of cave-in presents much less risk, as it won't constrain the rib cage and asphyxiate you.

You could trip and fall into said hole, of course.  OSHA considers any 4 foot or more drop off dangerous enough to warrant guard rails.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 05:20:52 PM »

We looked at an old house that the cellar was just a pit dug in the hardpan.  The house itself was sitting on flat rocks about 6" thick so the hole was about six feet deep.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 06:50:29 PM »
The story notes the man was a convicted felon; presumably that's why the guns were taken.

No doubt. But why were they found? The kids' bodies were in the hole ... why did the cops have any reason to search the house?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 06:53:13 PM »

Pretty long "upper" ...

Arwood said he had been digging the hole for three months.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 09:54:10 PM »
Maybe we should ban canning jars because of the risk of botulism.

I would be surprised if there ISN'T some group lobbying for just such a thing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 07:23:36 AM »
Yes, but the risk of cave-in presents much less risk, as it won't constrain the rib cage and asphyxiate you.

You could trip and fall into said hole, of course.  OSHA considers any 4 foot or more drop off dangerous enough to warrant guard rails.
Yes, you need shoring or you slope the sides at a specific angle. I think the shoring has to be engineered but I am not sure.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge