Author Topic: Go anywhere electric quad  (Read 1637 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Go anywhere electric quad
« on: August 04, 2015, 04:02:19 PM »
Fully articulated battery powered four wheel drive ATV thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdM5yCBy0jY

This actually looks like an interesting concept.  It's not all that different that those long arm "rock buggies"   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Go anywhere electric quad
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 05:00:18 PM »
Put a shopping basket on that and Terry & I will be the terrors of WalMart. =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:10:23 PM »

stay safe.

Yeah, it needs a rifle rack and a place to carry your deer home  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 07:39:27 PM »
Definitely Not "go anywhere". It wouldn't go where I hunt. It would be easier to winch out than my 4wd Honda atv tho.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:57:48 PM »
Add a gas/LP genny to it and I am SO there!

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 10:18:38 PM »

stay safe.

As it is, they quiver and quake and quail and get all a-skeered when I put on my helmet at the cart station.  

They even use a number code (99) over the PA system to warn their personnel that Terrible Terry's in the store so they can clear their merchandise carts out of the way and keep their eyes open.

And seriously, someday I'll figure out a scabbard for my cane on those things.  Or a hooking device of some kind for it.

Terry

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:31:24 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 11:18:15 PM »
Definitely Not "go anywhere". It wouldn't go where I hunt. It would be easier to winch out than my 4wd Honda atv tho.

Or pick it up and carry it  =D

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 01:13:05 AM »

And seriously, someday I'll figure out a scabbard for my cane on those things.  Or a hooking device of some kind for it.

Terry

Put your cane in the basket with the handle in one of the rear corners.  It makes a great lance. sticking up at about 30* or so. =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
Put your cane in the basket with the handle in one of the rear corners.  It makes a great lance. sticking up at about 30* or so. =D

stay safe.

Surely, you joust  ;)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 12:01:21 PM »
Quotes from: vaskidmark
Put your cane in the basket with the handle in one of the rear corners.  It makes a great lance. sticking up at about 30* or so.

Tried that.  Muy peligro.

stay safe.

Signature line incompatible with content.

Quote from: Tallpine
Surely, you joust.

^ roffle

I'm thinking velcro strip with a hook welded/sewn/glued/attached to it so it'll stay upright inside  the basket or hang upright outside the basket and still be easily removable.  Better outside, I reckon... keeps the filthy tip from contacting food packages. (Ick.)

Only weighs 13 oz (solid hickory).

I thought of the velcro-magnet combination, but I don't think any reasonably-sized magnet would work well, even a neo one.  Too small a contact area with the wires of the basket.

Tried to wrap it up in the charging power cord held in the hook affair in the back, no joy.

Would be best if the cart makers had a cup and hook arrangement on the basket itself, but this might not accommodate all the variations of canes and crutches and whatnot.

Putting it in the basket any way diagonally just doesn't work well.  Hanging it out front, you have the lance problem: it doesn't get out of the way on contact with a victim or a store display... there's no "crumple zone," as it were.  

Hang it out the back of the basket and it interferes with steering.  (The front wheels are the driver wheels and can be turned 90° from the axis of the cart.  They're very maneuverable --they can turn on the center of the rear axle.)

George Forman, where are you when I need you?

Terry

REF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oxPovB51X0

Anyway, of the ATVs that the OP presented.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:30:25 PM by 230RN »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 03:16:54 PM »
A length of cord/cable corralling velcro right there at Walmart.  (Sorry for the long URL but I figured you'd prefer it to just being told to go buy Belkin cable wraps.)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-Cable-Ties/15413253?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=15413253&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=430e620c-8846-4768-89bb-de5a4b89f9df&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=14917793&parent_anchor_item_id=14917793&guid=3b15b7d0-d094-4618-8cee-b58803022ca3&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

A nice small glob of permanent glue/fastener liquid about 1/3 to 1/2 way down the shaft from the handle and align the strap with the long axis of the cane.  Loop it through the top 2 cross wires and press.  Bob's your uncle.

stay safe.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 03:34:42 PM »
Well since Tallpine, the OP, hasn't objected to the thread drift, I also thunk of something like this.

But noooooo....

One of the design specs in my mind is to not have anything permanently attached to the cane, hence the Velcro strip around the shaft... but I'll think some more about removable things like wire ties or cable ties or something.

Most people wouldn't think canes in shopping carts (electric or otherwise) was much of a problem, but it kinda is, if you're taller than four feet and have a cane to match your height.  My car cane is about 34" long.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:50:21 PM by 230RN »

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 07:37:48 AM »
we use a BadBoy electric cart on the deer lease.  Goes anywhere.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 10:56:22 AM »
we use a BadBoy electric cart on the deer lease.  Goes anywhere.

I think the Swincar might even outdo that because of the extreme articulation, though of course it's not really useful because it's only single seat and No cargo capacity.  I would like to see the concept in something practical instead of just fun.

I can't find any prices on the "Bad Boy" website.  Something like that would be really handy around here because we don't need much range on 40 acres  ;)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »

I can't find any prices on the "Bad Boy" website.  Something like that would be really handy around here because we don't need much range on 40 acres  ;)

Gah!  No pricing.   Only links to their two financing providers.  Dealer locator shows "Richmond Computer Resource, LLC" as the only dealer within 50 miles of me.  "Richmond Computer Resource, LLC" is a home-based computer fix-it business that does not have a web page!  What a confidence builder that is.

"Bad Boy" carts may be the snitz, but their marketing sucks to the point I'd guess it actually drives away business.

stay safe.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 06:22:21 PM »
Most people wouldn't think canes in shopping carts (electric or otherwise) was much of a problem, but it kinda is, if you're taller than four feet and have a cane to match your height.  My car cane is about 34" long.

You're only 34 inches tall?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »
Surely, you joust  ;)

Great, now I have an image of two oldsters on Wal-mart scooters jousting. Cripple fight!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 06:38:51 PM »
Looks like a meld between a golf cart and a coaster wagon, with a few parts from a kid's rocking horse and an old home gym thrown in - the sort of thing someone might have come up with in that old TV show, Junkyard Wars.

Doesn't look like much space for batteries, so I'd guess range is seriously limited.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 07:20:24 PM »
Looks like a meld between a golf cart and a coaster wagon, with a few parts from a kid's rocking horse and an old home gym thrown in - the sort of thing someone might have come up with in that old TV show, Junkyard Wars.

Doesn't look like much space for batteries, so I'd guess range is seriously limited.

So the girl who stole one won't get far  :laugh:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 08:08:51 PM »

That is why I like HeroHog's suggestion of a place to mount a small generator. 

But yeah, if the range is limited, it sure puts limits on what "go anywhere" means. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 08:16:26 PM »
A few thoughts on this.

1.  It looks like an over sized, battery operated go kart that someone modified for more comfort, wheel clearance, and seat belts.  It doesn't appear to have a great deal of speed either.  I wonder how big of a lawn mower engine it would take to get the same performance.  A small and quiet generator would at least allow more range while still being about to stay quiet.  Some small amount of cargo capacity would also be nice.

2.  How quickly would teenagers manage to tear it up?

3.  All the ground they travel on (even the wet areas) are firm.  The wheels don't appear to sink in at all when they are on the banks of that stream.  How well would those wheels handle mud or soft sand?  Would the thing still work the same with wider mud tires?

4.  If it is pretty quiet, I can see it being useful if you want scout around for animals without them hearing you half a mile off.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 08:33:23 PM »
I think the main point of the concept is the extreme multi-jointed articulation, self leveling, and the four wheel steering.

If you can keep ground pressure equalized between the four wheels then traction is maximized.

I don't see it as a finished product, but rather a new way of making on/off road vehicles.

It needs to have seats for at least two people, plus a decent cargo rack/bed.