Author Topic: I guess it's a good thing our car remotes don't work anymore  (Read 1637 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
I guess it's a good thing our car remotes don't work anymore
« on: August 06, 2015, 11:33:14 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/08/06/haker-rolljam-device-can-steal-your-car-keys-open-your-garage/?intcmp=hpbt1

when someone tries to use a remote key, the device copies the code and jams the signal so the car doesn’t receive it. When the user clicks his remote again, the device sends through the original code as it captures the new one, giving the attacker a valid code to use as he pleases
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: I guess it's a good thing our car remotes don't work anymore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 12:15:41 PM »
Seems like this is going to get interesting for the automakers. I guess theives still have to override other anti-theft features to get the car started, so actual auto theft via this device might be limited to pros, but for theft of items in vehicles and vehicle trunks, it looks like even an amateur could do it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 12:26:52 PM »
Seems like this is going to get interesting for the automakers. I guess theives still have to override other anti-theft features to get the car started, so actual auto theft via this device might be limited to pros, but for theft of items in vehicles and vehicle trunks, it looks like even an amateur could do it.

Don't some of the new cars not even require a key to be inserted?  You just have to have the transponder somewhere in the car and push a button.

Our POS still has a key ignition switch (just had it replaced under recall).  The remotes are both broke so you have to go though a weird sequence to manually lock the car or else have the alarm go off when you unlock it with your own damn key  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 12:54:48 PM »

Well, an Amateur that can build (and one assumes program) his own code catcher/transmitter thingie.

Not sure that includes many car theives.  I just checked with my two ghetto dwelling co-workers and they confirm that the tool of choice for most stealing things out of cars theives is a large rock.  Slim Jim's are apparanttly too complicated.

As far as jacking the whole car?  I don't know of any car sold in the last 10 or 15 years that doesn't have a chipped key, or hard coded anti-theft of some kind.  If they can bypass that, I'm not thinking the door locks are much of a deterrent.

Finally, keyless entry has been pretty common for what 20 years now?  It was an option on my 95 F150.  By '01 is was tandard on a base Crapmaro that My wife had.  There hasn't been a huge rash of folks building these things.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »

The security on those remotes is near zero. Not that auto keys are much better.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 01:09:12 PM »
Well, an Amateur that can build (and one assumes program) his own code catcher/transmitter thingie.

Not sure that includes many car theives.  I just checked with my two ghetto dwelling co-workers and they confirm that the tool of choice for most stealing things out of cars theives is a large rock.  Slim Jim's are apparanttly too complicated.

As far as jacking the whole car?  I don't know of any car sold in the last 10 or 15 years that doesn't have a chipped key, or hard coded anti-theft of some kind.  If they can bypass that, I'm not thinking the door locks are much of a deterrent.

Finally, keyless entry has been pretty common for what 20 years now?  It was an option on my 95 F150.  By '01 is was tandard on a base Crapmaro that My wife had.  There hasn't been a huge rash of folks building these things.

Pretty much this.  If they're just trying to get your stuff, smash a window and be done with it.

My 97 4Runner has keyless entry.  I seem to remember my wife's early 90s Pontiac having it as well, but I may be misremembering.  I know our 2007 Honda and 2013 Ford have keyless.  Not only that, both only have one physical key lock, forcing you to carry the remote unless you like going to the driver's door to unlock the trunk.  The Ford's remote is built into the key, making it that much larger. :(

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 01:21:16 PM »
Our 1988 Jeep apparently had some sort of "Flintstone" remote entry, as there is some sort of broken electronic gizmo up in the ceiling above the rear view mirror.

I suppose the remote units have long since been lost/broken before we got the jeep.

At least you can still lock and unlock it pretty much normally.  The tailgate even has a key slot.

Everything else is pure keys  =)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 01:56:32 PM »
My brother had his Ford F-250 broken into right in his drive way.  Just jammed a screw driver into the lock and were able to level the door mechanism.  They apparently sell these Jimmy Jammer plates that can be installed to prevent that, since Ford can't be bothered with simple/cheap theft protection. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 03:17:06 PM »
On the smash and grab, I was thinking more of trunks, which I thought are harder to get into, but I could be wrong (again). :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 03:19:48 PM »
Smash the window and find a manual release for the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 03:21:14 PM »
"smash" might set off the alarm.  There are other ways to break the lock and open the vehicle.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 03:28:31 PM »
It might. A lot of things set off car alarms however. I set the alarm off in my work truck for having the nerve to use the key instead of the remote to unlock the door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 03:47:34 PM »
Flathead screw driver, hammer, Crecent Wrench.  All key cylinders open in about 25 Sec.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 04:00:18 PM »
Every few months or so one or another of the local car stealerships sends me a sale flyer with a fake car key stuck to it. It was about 50/50 if the fake key would work in my '92 Cherokee's door locks and about about the same if it would work in the ignition. I've even got one that works the door locks for my work van, the plastic part broke off so I keep the stub of a key in my billfold in case I lock myself out of my van.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 05:02:45 PM »
Every few months or so one or another of the local car stealerships sends me a sale flyer with a fake car key stuck to it. It was about 50/50 if the fake key would work in my '92 Cherokee's door locks and about about the same if it would work in the ignition. I've even got one that works the door locks for my work van, the plastic part broke off so I keep the stub of a key in my billfold in case I lock myself out of my van.

=D  got one of those lying in the junk mail pile right now - I should try it in the jeep.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 09:00:42 PM »

I understand that at least for a while, the things to steal were the airbags on the steering wheels.  Worth about a grand or so in the replacement market.  Things may have changed by now.  Got this info from some crime show or another.

OK, added REF:
http://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/05/nyregion/6-arrests-are-said-to-smash-theft-ring-for-car-air-bags.html
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »
Don't some of the new cars not even require a key to be inserted?  You just have to have the transponder somewhere in the car and push a button.

Our POS still has a key ignition switch (just had it replaced under recall).  The remotes are both broke so you have to go though a weird sequence to manually lock the car or else have the alarm go off when you unlock it with your own damn key  :facepalm:

Pull the electronic lock fuse. My last remote died and I was in a parking lot far from home with a honking car that would not start. In light of that any future car I will test and disable just so I'm not stuck when the one time arrives that I really need the car to start now!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 10:23:41 PM »
Pull the electronic lock fuse. My last remote died and I was in a parking lot far from home with a honking car that would not start. In light of that any future car I will test and disable just so I'm not stuck when the one time arrives that I really need the car to start now!

Will the electric locks still work without the fuse ?

I don't think that there's any other way to lock/unlock the rear gate  ;/

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 11:29:06 PM »
Our 1988 Jeep apparently had some sort of "Flintstone" remote entry, as there is some sort of broken electronic gizmo up in the ceiling above the rear view mirror.

I suppose the remote units have long since been lost/broken before we got the jeep.

At least you can still lock and unlock it pretty much normally.  The tailgate even has a key slot.

Everything else is pure keys  =)

The '88 (and other AMC years) Cherokees used infrared for the remotes. Very few of them worked for very long, and when they did work they didn't work very well.

When Chrysler took over, they changed to radio for the remotes. More reliable by far, but the Cherokees didn't have any security function attached to that. Just the door locks. Keys with chips were an option on the Grand Cherokee around 1999 and newer, but not on the Cherokee.

Code stealers have been around for years, and I'm sure there's a factory somewhere in China that churns them out for sale in the U.S. and Europe. I have remotes for my three newer model Cherokees, but I never use them for locking the doors -- only for unlocking.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:25:50 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 10:19:53 AM »
The '88 (and other AMC years) Cherokees used infrared for the remotes. Very few of them worked for very long, and when they did work they didn't work very well.

When Chrysler took over, they changed to radio for the remotes. More reliable by far, but the Cherokees didn't have any security function attached to that. Just the door locks. Keys with chips were an option on the Grand Cherokee around 1999 and newer, but not on the Cherokee.

Code stealers have been around for years, and I'm sure there's a factory somewhere in China that churns them out for sale in the U.S. and Europe. I have remotes for my three newer model Cherokees, but I never use them for locking the doors -- only for unlocking.

Honestly, I had no idea that they even made remote entry in 1988.  The newest thing that I owned back then was a 1971  =D