Main Forums > The Roundtable

Quick etiquette question

<< < (2/3) > >>

charby:
Are you talking via email?

If so don't use the company email, there are lots of free email services out there.

Charby

crt360:
What grampster said.  I get letters with resumes regularly and I wouldn't look favorably upon one that appeared to come from the applicant's current place of employment.

I'm actually looking at a cover letter right now from a lawyer seeking a job with us.  The letter has several typed errors that were corrected in blue ink (words crossed out and others inserted).  Do you think I would even consider hiring this person?  Your cover letter may be the most important letter you ever write.  It should be, if nothing else, well written, proofread, corrected, and proofread one more time before you sign your name to it.  If you see errors and think marking them out with a pen is as good as retyping it, you can save yourself a stamp and the intended recipient time by throwing it in the trash.

Mabs2:
I would not.
I don't have any experience in the real world.
But from what I understand this is how it goes.
I go to work, I work, and get paid by my employer to work.
I do not get paid to write and send resumes from my boss' place of business.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus:
Bad form.

Either use blank letterhead and your own dang envelope or go have letterhead printed with YOUR name on it.

Leave that Pitney-Bowes postage meter alone, too.  Don't put any personal correspondence in the out box at work- find a letter drop box. You may be looking for a new job, and you may have issues where you work now, but don't crap where you eat.

It reflects poorly on you as an individual to be found doing so.
Maintain your dignity. Don't get even, get ahead.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Stickjockey:
Thanks, all. It was more of a "just checking to see if this is really as bad an idea as I think it is" kind of deal. It's been a long time since I've done this and sometimes attitudes can change. Yup, and it's on it's way via FedEx.

crt360-
Proofread, reread, corrected, read by others, recorrected, proofread again, printed on heavy-bond light grey paper, no handwritten marks in pen, pencil, or crayon. (Yes, I have seen  resumes hand-written in crayon. Purple, no less.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version