Author Topic: Really?  (Read 2648 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Really?
« on: November 11, 2016, 07:32:41 PM »
The link that took me to this quiz claims that only 1 in 10 Americans can pass it. I only got one question wrong. If 9 out of 10 fail this, we're in big trouble.

http://offbeat.topix.com/quiz/16946/qidx1
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Really?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 07:58:56 PM »
Missed 3.  =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 08:09:56 PM »
The link that took me to this quiz claims that only 1 in 10 Americans can pass it. I only got one question wrong. If 9 out of 10 fail this, we're in big trouble.

That is called clickbait.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 08:19:50 PM »
I missed 3, (how many questions was that, 100?) and one of those was a misclick (Sirhan Sirhan, and I clicked Jack Ruby even tho' I knew better)  Several others I just barely knew, like the one about Clara Barton.
"It's good, though..."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 08:29:03 PM »
Missed five, but because that makes me feel bad I get credit for all of them!

/sarc

So I got Plessy and Brown mixed up. All those negro cases look the same.

I thought the "fact" that the WH was built by slaves was disproven. My bad.

Okay, so I didn't know what state Bunker Hill is in.

The fact the the national capitol was once in Princeton was not something I ever learned.

FDR was elected to four terms? Okay, one was one too many though.

And they got one wrong, Jackie Robinson was not the first black man to play professional ball. He was the first one to play after the color bar has been lifted.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 08:45:58 PM »
Missed two: the one on the oldest national park (couldn't remember if it was Yellowstone or Yosemite...should have remembered it was Yellowstone), and the question about which city had not been a US Capitol (had no freaking idea that Princeton was once the capitol; I knew it had been in several different cities, but not that one).

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 12:39:16 PM »
97%, I missed 2/80.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 11:43:52 PM »
Missed 4.  I was perfect then missed 3 within about 4 questions.  I was happy I remembered as much as I did.  The pictures helped narrow down a number of them.

It seems to me that what the car was called that Ford named after his son was not very significant in history compared to the rest of the questions.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 12:02:23 AM »
It seems to me that what the car was called that Ford named after his son was not very significant in history compared to the rest of the questions.   

You're just not old enough to remember. At the time, it was EPIC. Ford [Motor Company} made a YUUGE splash about introducing the Edsel ... and then it bombed. The Edsel was a fundamental meme for total, complete failure for at least a generation afterward.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 10:55:44 AM »
You're just not old enough to remember. At the time, it was EPIC. Ford [Motor Company} made a YUUGE splash about introducing the Edsel ... and then it bombed. The Edsel was a fundamental meme for total, complete failure for at least a generation afterward.

It was the grill, nobody wanted to drive it. Yes for many, many years Edsel was synonymous with a failure so big it couldn't be any worse. You still don't see very many of them around although they are collectible.

bob

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 11:04:47 AM »

This is known as "clickbaiting". To make a simple statement that can be inflammatory, ignite curiosity or appeal to the ego. Generally it is either lying or intentionally misleading. There is only one purpose, maximize surface contact volume for ad delivery.

The only winning move is to not play. Ignoring and not clicking. If your browser supports it, I recommend anti-clickbait extensions.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 11:38:43 AM »
The other question I thought was odd was the one asking who this First Lady was in the picture.  I have no idea why anyone would remember what a particular First Lade looked like unless they lived through that time.  It isn't something that is always in the history books.  The only reason I got it right was that the other choices didn't match the type of photograph it was.  They could have used the same picture and asked what decade it was taken as it was really testing your knowledge of the basic history of photography.  I guess clothing/style could be used, but I don't know much about that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 12:03:59 PM »
I knew who she was and believe me, I am not that old. She is the one that all other First Ladies are measured by. I don't really know why but she is. I think Laura Bush would be a much better yardstick to measure them by. I did miss two of them, but my memory is so shot now I can't even remember which ones, or maybe I just didn't care.   =(

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 09:17:39 PM »
I knew who she was and believe me, I am not that old. She is the one that all other First Ladies are measured by. I don't really know why but she is. I think Laura Bush would be a much better yardstick to measure them by. I did miss two of them, but my memory is so shot now I can't even remember which ones, or maybe I just didn't care.   =(

Why Laura Bush over Eleanor Roosevelt? If you don't think Eleanor was the standard setter, why not Jackie Kennedy? Or Barbara Bush? Why Laura Bush?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 05:47:28 AM »
It was the grill, nobody wanted to drive it. Yes for many, many years Edsel was synonymous with a failure so big it couldn't be any worse. You still don't see very many of them around although they are collectible.

bob

Wasn't just the grill. The Edsel was seen as an unattractive car all around, one that was too expensive, and it was introduced during an economic recession.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 07:06:51 AM »
pretty easy quiz.   Did not miss any, but guessed on one.   :)