Author Topic: Home repair question  (Read 530 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Home repair question
« on: September 27, 2019, 03:59:54 PM »
The side door to my attached garage has (had) three lights of glass in it. They're horizontal basically full width, sized 13" x 22".

One of them broke, so I have to go to Lowe's for a replacement pane of glass. The problem is that, like most glazed doors, the glass was originally installed when the door was manufactured, so there's no glazing compound. Both sides (inside and outside) have the glass "stops" routed into the wood stiles and rails of the door. To install the replacement glass, I'll have to remove the original "stop moulding" from both short edges and either the top or the bottom, set the new glass, then replace the stops with quarter round.

I'm trying to decide if I should remove the integral stop moulding on the inside face or on the outside face? Any thoughts?

The door is under a breezeway roof, and there is a storm door, so it's mostly protected (if that makes any difference).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Home repair question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 06:26:22 PM »
pictures of both sides would be helpful
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 06:43:55 PM »
Inside. Leave the outside as undisturbed as possible to protect whatever is left of the weatherproofing.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 07:18:12 PM »
Inside. Leave the outside as undisturbed as possible to protect whatever is left of the weatherproofing.

Brad
Won't he have to scrape off any old gasket/caulk material from the outside stops anyway and re-seal the outside of the new glass plane?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 08:20:10 PM »
Gasket? Caulk? You gentlemen don't seem to be familiar with what was being done with budget post-war construction in the late 40s / [very] early 50s. Definitely no gaskets, and I'm pretty certain there's no caulk.

But ... a building inspector colleague gave me the best reason I can think of for leaving the outside stop and cutting off the interior: Security. He pointed out that if I remove the outside stops and then nail on new ones, anyone can use a screwdriver to pry them off. Of course, even that takes more time than just breaking the glass, as I had to do ...

But I will bed the new glass in glazing compound when I install it.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 08:21:39 PM »
Gasket? Caulk? You gentlemen don't seem to be familiar with what was being done with budget post-war construction in the late 40s / [very] early 50s. Definitely no gaskets, and I'm pretty certain there's no caulk.

But ... a building inspector colleague gave me the best reason I can think of for leaving the outside stop and cutting off the interior: Security. He pointed out that if I remove the outside stops and then nail on new ones, anyone can use a screwdriver to pry them off. Of course, even that takes more time than just breaking the glass, as I had to do ...

I will bed the new glass in glazing compound when I install it.