Author Topic: Every state should have 'no fault' divorce  (Read 4398 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: Every state should have 'no fault' divorce
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 07:08:56 AM »
Ugh.

I agree in theory with the 'marriage should just be a standard, customized contract in the eyes of the state'. But would this cause trouble with things like getting private insurance companies to recognize wives as dependents? I suppose they would have to go into the individual marriage contract and see if she was enough of a 'dependent' for their companie's standards. I suppose semi-standardized marriage contracts would evolve, though (i.e. 'standard contract xyz' generally used by roman catholics, 'contract zwy' used by a lot of pagans and atheists etc.)
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

w turner

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 06:59:48 AM »
I don't think the gov't. should be in the business of regulating marriage at all.  I think that what we look at as getting married now should consist of two parts.

The first would be a wedding as we think of it.  Basically it would be a religious ceremony with no legal ramifications. 

The second part would be a legally binding domestic partnership agreement that would handle the legal aspects up front.  Alimony would not be an option in any divorce.  The fact that I have some dangly bits doesn't mean that I should be responsible for subsidizing someone else's lifestyle. 

jnojr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 09:14:54 AM »
I agree in theory with the 'marriage should just be a standard, customized contract in the eyes of the state'. But would this cause trouble with things like getting private insurance companies to recognize wives as dependents?

Maybe.  Some insurance companies might try to increase profits by not recognizing marriages.  Some would try to increase market share by advertising that they will accept marriages.

Again, a free market will provide all the answers.