Author Topic: More feet stuff!  (Read 1049 times)

BakerMikeRomeo

More feet stuff!
« on: August 15, 2007, 06:06:04 AM »
Well, I've been at my washdishing job since Mid-May, and so my feet have toughened up and gotten used to my work shoes.

Which broke about two weeks ago. The upper let go of the outsole near my big toe on the right shoe and the hole is steadily growing bigger.

Without going to a big city, getting lost, getting mugged, and running out of gas in the ghetto before getting to a shoe store that may or may not have the shoes I want or going to raleigh, my best bet is the RedWing boots I bought on recommendation of you people.

Which brings me to the red wings!

They are cool and everything, but I have a couple of problems with them:

1) The stock insoles suck. If I wander around in them for more than a couple of hours I feel like I'm stomping around on concrete, particularly on the balls of my feet. My heels are usually okay, but there's just dick-all for padding under the fronts of my feets. I think part of that is just the way the boot is shaped (like, the heel is a little higher than the toe), but I think I'll be able to take care of it by getting some good insoles. So what insoles do y'all recommend? Have any of you ever tried maybe cutting a replacement insole in half and just putting the front or rear part in where you need more cushion?

2) My socks are getting ready to give up the ghost. I have to work where it is hot and humid and crappy all day and even in my work sneakers my feet are pretty skanky by the end of the day, and my shadier-by-the-minute socks aren't helping matters. What brands of sock do y'all recommend for bootwear? Particular brand recommendations are also welcome.

Thanks in Advance,
~BakerMike

Azrael256

• friend
Re: More feet stuff!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 07:10:51 PM »
With insoles, it's not about padding.

Let me say that again: It's not about padding.  Strapping sweedish memory foam pillows to your feet will be excruciatingly painful in a short time.  Solid steel insoles will be more comfortable if they're shaped right.  Shape, not padding.  Sorry, but your back paws aren't made to walk on clouds, they're made to walk on the ground. 

You might seriously consider consulting a podiatrist.  Your feet are a *very* complex mechanism, and the opinion, one time, of a person who is well versed in their workings will keep you in comfortable shoes and insoles for the rest of your life.  The absolute best insoles I ever wore were rock-hard plastic.  They slightly reshaped my neglected feet, and my doc's advice got me looking for shoes and insoles that were cut for my type of foot.

As for socks...  Cotton is good.  Wicking work socks if you feel you need them.  Decent socks, like the Hanes "double tough" I like to wear run about a buck fifty a pair.  You could wear each pair you buy one time, and probably spend less on socks in a year than you spend on cable TV.  Not that I actually recommend wearing a pair once, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace your socks frequently.  I do it every quarter.  Since you're on your feet all day, sweating up a storm, change your socks on your lunch break.  A few minutes of air and some clean cotton will do wonders for you.  Getting your piggies out to wiggle around a little bit will also help to alleviate some of the soreness.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 02:45:18 AM »
Solid steel insoles will be more comfortable if they're shaped right.  Shape, not padding.

With that in mind, do you have an opinion on those stick-your-foot-in-the-squish-foam-box custom-made insoles?

You might seriously consider consulting a podiatrist.  Your feet are a *very* complex mechanism, and the opinion, one time, of a person who is well versed in their workings will keep you in comfortable shoes and insoles for the rest of your life.  The absolute best insoles I ever wore were rock-hard plastic.  They slightly reshaped my neglected feet, and my doc's advice got me looking for shoes and insoles that were cut for my type of foot.

Since you're on your feet all day, sweating up a storm, change your socks on your lunch break.  A few minutes of air and some clean cotton will do wonders for you.  Getting your piggies out to wiggle around a little bit will also help to alleviate some of the soreness.

The bolded part is the best idea ever.

Thanks, Azrael.

~BakerMike

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 02:02:19 PM »
Wear merino wool boot sock, Red Wing brand come to mind. They are $10 a pair, they are worth it. Put stick anti-perspirant on the bottom of your feet every day. Put some sno-seal, wax, or polish on your new ones to keep them as water-proof as possible. As said already, changing socks is never a bad idea. Dry feet are happy feet.

As far as insoles, before I did the deodorant thing I had one pair of work boots that I ripped all insole and lining out of. All that stuff was doing was retaining moisture. I was much more comfortable.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

One of Many

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 03:02:49 PM »
Consider using polypropylene sock liners; they will wick the sweat away from your feet and into the outer sock. A thick wool sock will provide good cushion, and absorb the sweat.  Change socks when you go on break, and your feet and your boots will be in better condition.

Ron

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 03:08:35 PM »
Wear merino wool boot sock

I wear Smartwool brand merino wool socks when backpacking, they do a great job of wicking moisture away. Much better than cotton.

If the heavy duty cotton doesn't work for you I definitely would hit Red Wing and try their merino socks. Or pick up one pair and test them out. Backpackers and mountain climbers almost all wear merino wool socks.

I also use a powder on my feet when hiking, Gold Bond foot powder.

As far as the insoles I concur with the post about padding. I use a hard after market insole called Superfeet. I use the green ones when backpacking.

It is all about arch and heel support. Insoles are a very individual thing because we all have different feet. Some folks need inserts with high arch support others don't, you may have to experiment.

I also use the liners mentioned above on occasion.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 06:18:07 PM »
My dad bought a pair of Redwings and for a while they were rather uncomfortable...but now he says they're some of the most comfortable shoes he's ever bought.  As a printer, he's on his feet all day.

They also make some sort of soles that you heat in an oven so that they conform to your feet, but he didn't get those--too expensive.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.