Author Topic: New chili twice as hot as the habanero - Yikes!  (Read 2093 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
New chili twice as hot as the habanero - Yikes!
« on: August 15, 2007, 08:51:16 AM »
I can just see it - a Jolokia Bar on every corner...

Brad

Twice as hot as the habanero, but the bhut jolokia is about to explode on the market and in your mouth
Ghost Chili

TIM SULLIVAN
ASSOCIATED PRESS

CHANGPOOL, India - The farmer, a quiet man with an easy smile, has spent a lifetime eating a chili pepper with a strange name and a vicious bite. His mother stirred them into sauces. His wife puts them out for dinner raw, blood-red morsels of pain to be nibbled - carefully, very carefully - with whatever she's serving.

Around here, in the hills of northeastern India, it's called the bhut jolokia - the "ghost chili." Anyone who has tried it, they say, could end up an apparition.

"It is so hot you can't even imagine," said the farmer, Digonta Saikia, working in his fields in the midday sun, his face nearly invisible behind an enormous straw hat. "When you eat it, it's like dying."

Bhut jolokia" or "ghost chili" pepper plucked from his field in the northeastern Indian state of Assam, Wednesday, July 4, 2007. Bhut jolokia, a thumb-sized chili pepper with frightening potency, was recently rated the spiciest chili in the world by Guinness World Records. It is widely eaten as a spice, a cure for stomach troubles and, seemingly paradoxically, a way to fight the crippling summer heat too. 

Outsiders, he insisted, shouldn't even try it. "If you eat one," he told a visitor, "you will not be able to leave this place."

The rest of the world, though, should prepare itself.

Because in this remote Indian region facing bloody insurgencies, widespread poverty and a major industry - tea farming - in deep decline, hope has come in the form of this thumb-size chili pepper with frightening potency and a superlative rating: the spiciest chili in the world. A few months ago, Guinness World Records made it official.

If you think you've had a hotter chili pepper, you're wrong.

The smallest morsels can flavor a sauce so intensely it's barely edible. Eating a raw sliver causes watering eyes and a runny nose. An entire chili is an all-out assault on the senses, akin to swigging a cocktail of battery acid and glass shards.

Farmers pluck "Bhut jolokia" or "ghost chili" peppers at Changpool in the northeastern Indian state of Assam, Wednesday, July 4, 2007. Bhut jolokia, a thumb-sized chili pepper with frightening potency, was recently rated the spiciest chili in the world by Guinness World Records. It is widely eaten as a spice, a cure for stomach troubles and, seemingly paradoxically, a way to fight the crippling summer heat too. 

For generations, though, it's been loved in India's northeast, eaten as a spice, a cure for stomach troubles and, seemingly paradoxically, a way to fight the crippling summer heat.

Now, though, with scientific proof that barreled the bhut jolokia into the record books - it has more than 1,000,000 Scoville units, the scientific measurement of a chili's spiciness - northeast India is taking its chili to the outside world.

Exporters are eagerly courting the international community of rabid chili-lovers, a group that has traded stories for years about a mysterious, powerful Indian chili. Farmers are planting new fields of bhut jolokias; government officials are talking about development programs.

Chances are no one will get rich. But in a region where good news is a rarity, the world record status has meant a lot of pride - and a little more business.

"It has got tremendous potential," says Leena Saikia, the managing director of Frontal AgriTech, a food business in the northeastern state of Assam that has been in the forefront of bhut jolokia exports.

Last year, her company shipped out barely a ton of the chilis. This year, amid the surge in publicity, the goal is 10 tons to nearly a dozen countries. "We're getting so many inquiries," says Saikia, whose name is common in Assam, and who is unrelated to the farmer. "We'll be giving employment to so many people."

For now, at least, transport issues and a tangle of government regulations mean most exports are of dried bhut jolokias and chili paste. But, Saikia added, the paste can be used for everything from hot sauces to tear gas. Because the heat is so concentrated, food manufacturers in need of seasoning can use far less bhut jolokia than they would normal chilis.

India's northeast, a cluster of seven states that hangs off the country's eastern edge, is a place where most people are ethnically closer to China and Myanmar than the rest of India. It's a deeply troubled area, often neglected by the central government in New Delhi, where more than two dozen ethnic militant groups are fighting the Indian government and one another. Many areas remain largely off-limits to foreigners and few days pass without at least one killing.

Want to try one?
" To order seeds for the bhut jolokia, go to New Mexico State University's
Chile Pepper Institute's Web site:

In Assam, the wealthiest of the region's states, the long-dominant tea industry is facing falling prices and rising costs, and one-third of the population lives below the poverty line. Attacks by the state's main militant group, the United Liberation Front of Asom, and retaliatory government crackdowns, have brutalized the region.

"Maybe this bhut jolokia can help change things here," says Ranjana Bhuyan, a high-school teacher shopping for vegetables in the Assamese town of Jorhat on a recent evening. Like most people here, she normally mixes bhut jolokias into sauces, or pickles them as a sort of spicy relish, but also likes to eat tiny pieces raw, enjoying the flavor and the sharp jolt.

"People have been eating this forever," she says.

Only in the past few years, though, has the rest of the world even heard of it. The first reports filtered out in 2, when the government's Assam-based Defense Research Laboratory announced the bhut jolokia as the world's hottest chili. But their tests, reportedly done during research on tear gas, took years to be corroborated.

The confirmation came earlier this year from New Mexico State University's Chile Pepper Institute, where spiciness is a religion. The institute got its first bhut jolokia seeds in 2001, but it took years to grow enough peppers for testing.

Their results, backed up by two independent labs and heralded by Guinness, were astonishing.

A chili's spiciness can be scientifically measured by calculating its content of capsaicin, the chemical that gives a pepper its bite, and counting its Scoville units.

And how hot is the bhut jolokia?

As a way of comparison: Classic Tabasco sauce ranges from 2,500 to 5,000 Scoville units. Your basic jalapeno pepper measures anywhere from 2,500 to 8,000. The previous record holder, the Red Savina habanero, was tested at up to 580,000 Scovilles.

The bhut jolokia crushed those contenders, testing at 1,001,304 Scoville units.

While small amounts of bhut jolokia are grown in a few other places, including Sri Lanka and Bangladesh (and a similar variety, the Dorset Naga, in England), horticulturists say the gentle sloping hills, heat and humidity of the Indian northeast make it the ideal greenhouse.

The pepper is known by any number of names across India's northeast. It's the "poison chili" in some areas, the "king of the chilis" in others. Just to the south of Assam is Nagaland, it's eaten in nearly every meal. As a result, it is often called the Naga mircha - the "Naga chili."

Still, getting your hands on a fresh bhut jolokia is difficult except in a handful of northeastern towns. A few specialty companies in the United States and Britain sell dried chilis and seeds, but the plants are painfully fragile, susceptible to many pests and diseases, and very difficult to grow.

So it may take a while before farmers outside this region are able to grow the bulbous, wrinkled pepper on a large scale.

For now, outside of a few exports, the bhut jolokia will remain with the people who have eaten it for centuries.

Said Saikia, the farmer. "It has become a part of our culture."
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: New chili twice as hot as the habanero - Yikes!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 08:58:01 AM »
I'm sorry but I eat food that I enjoy.  Something that threatens to turn my mouth into fire just doesn't sound enjoyable.  And I like spicy food.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 09:03:30 AM »
Is there anything intrinsically dangerous about eating stuff that hot?  I'm not really talking about respiratory stress that is a systemic response; I mean stuff like chemical burns or direct tissue damage.

Capsaicin is an irritant and can definitely cause pain, but can it cause actual damage at levels like that?

I like spicy food, but I'm with Rabbi on this one; I prefer spice that enhances flavor, not spice that eclipses it.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

onions!

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 09:15:35 AM »
That was a very difficult to read article.

As far as a hotter chili goes,I prefer taste-scorching heat takes away from taste.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 09:26:21 AM »
Yes, peppers that strong can cause contact dermatitis that can actually kill taste buds.

But, taste buds regrow.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 09:40:29 AM »
Twice as hot as the habanero, but the bhut jolokia is about to explode on the market and in your mouth
Not my mouth.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 01:42:22 PM »
I've heard of these.  I like hot peppers, but I'm getting too old to light myself on fire just to see what it feels like.

So . . . who here is going to try one and give us a report?   laugh

I have a client who's been growing some manzano peppers (I think they're also known as Peruvian death peppers).  He said they're way hotter than habaneros.  Has anyone here ever sampled one?
For entertainment purposes only.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 01:58:35 PM »
These will be perfect for our pepper jelly.  Enough people are buying the habanero for there to be a niche demand on these.  I'll just have to cook them up in a well ventilated area....like the back yard.

I ordered one each seed packet from the New Mexico University Chili Institute to see what we can come up with on the jelly side.  It ought to be fun.

atomd

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 05:24:51 PM »
I've heard of these.  I like hot peppers, but I'm getting too old to light myself on fire just to see what it feels like.

So . . . who here is going to try one and give us a report?   laugh

I have a client who's been growing some manzano peppers (I think they're also known as Peruvian death peppers).  He said they're way hotter than habaneros.  Has anyone here ever sampled one?

Actually Manzano peppers are not even close to being as hot as a habanero. The Scoville unit rating of a manzano pepper is somewhere around 30,000-50,000 for the hotter ones. A red savina habenero pepper can be close to 600,000. Even the weaker Habeneros are generally over 150,000. There are only 2 other peppers known to be hotter than a habanero, the Naga Morich and Bhut Jolokia. I've had more than my share of habaneros and some pretty insane sauces that are even hotter than the Bhut Jolokia (made with extracts), but I haven't tried those 2 other actual peppers yet.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 05:33:18 PM »
Yeah, Manzanos aren't even remotely close to Habaneros.

Cayennes are generally twice as hot scoville wise as manzanos.

I can eat manzanos. Cayennes are really pushing it for me, and a habanero will put me into a frigging coma. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 05:52:09 PM »
My dad used to sit and watch TV and eat Habaneros out of the jar. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 06:16:27 PM »
There comes a point where "chili" peppers, become "silly" peppers.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Len Budney

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 06:41:36 PM »
A guy in my church likes to show off his tolerance for hot sauce. He likes "Dave's Insanity." I decided to give him his comeuppance by buying him the strongest stuff I could find... but I lost all interest when I discovered Blair's 16 Million Reserve. It's a sealed jar with pure capsaicin crystals. Not only is it chemically impossible to get hotter than that, but it's way past the point where serious bodily harm could result from actually using the stuff. The arms race is over.

But if I see bhut jolokia hot sauce with only natural ingredients (no added capsaicin), I'll definitely get him a bottle. Fun fact: at 1M scoville units, it's about half the strength of civilian pepper spray, and about 1/5 the strength of police pepper spray.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 01:58:43 PM »
Given that I can eat a whole habanero taking time to chew the spongy stuff and crunch the seeds I would definitely try this. Note to self, when eating habaneros whole, drink milk afterwards. A quart of water just leaves you with an upset stomach and a burning mouth.

Personally I self medicated with peppers, a handful of ground red pepper to the mouth fixes congestion, improves my mood, and makes sore knees feel better. I used to chew dried chiles to numb a sore throat. OVerall I feel relaxed and calm after eating a lot of peppers. Eating a whole Habanero, I feel sweat or molten ear wax dripping in my ear canal.  grin

This one I think I'll try a small sliver first.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 08:51:48 PM »
Maybe this is just one way Kleenex can sell more flushable Moist Wipes.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 05:31:34 PM »
We had "Blueberry Pancakes From Hell" for supper tonight. I think I saw this in a Biker Billy cookbook. We add 1-2 habeneros for 8-10 pancakes for a batch of batter. 

These pancakes rock. They are hot, but not as hot as you think. There is a great sweet hot blueberry flavor that mixes well with maple syrup. If you like hot, you have to try these.