Author Topic: Vasectomy - info please  (Read 2736 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Vasectomy - info please
« on: August 16, 2007, 08:02:32 AM »
I'm planning on getting snipped before the year is out, so I thought I'd gather some opinions, ideas, and facts on vasectomies.

Basically, what has been your experience, if you've had one?

What are the known short-term and long-term effects?

Any specific tips, ideas, or general information that you can offer?

Of course, I'll ask all these same questions of my doctor and the various medical-related internet websites, but I would like your input, too.

Thanks.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Moondoggie

• friend
Re: Vasectomy - info please
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:19:35 AM »
Piece of cake.

BTW, be sure to notify your company flight surgeon.  One of my pilots in the Marines got a trip to "The Long Green Table" for failing to report his and then having a mishap (ran out of fuel, had to land on a civilian airstrip while doing a 2v2 acm hop) while "self medicating" and not having been cleared post surgery by our super duck.

I had one decades ago...it was abslolutely no big deal.  No bruising, soreness, or infection.  The worst part of the whole process was getting the anesthetic injected, but still a minor event.  I took 2 days off from PT, then went out and ran my usual 5 miles on the third day.

One interesting side effect that friends have confirmed....you may discover an unhibited side of your significant other that you've never seen before in the area of intimate relations.  I've been told that the fact that you can't cause pregnancy sometimes lowers some psychological barriers in females.  I'm not being a chauvanist pig here...my own wife confirmed this.  It just takes a load off of their mind and kinda "sets them free" for lack of a more clinical description.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 08:34:31 AM »
No big deal at all, as soon as I got over the fact of the doctor and his nice looking assistant bending over me while I was spread out on the table.  The valium helped for that. Wink Only physical discomfort was that the local started wearing off before they got done with that electric cauterizing thing  shocked  It just tickled really, but it was weird.

I was pretty much back to "normal" four days later Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 08:39:03 AM »
There's apparently some new form of ultrasound version where they can do it without even cutting the skin, but it's not been approved for humans yet.

Len Budney

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 08:39:58 AM »
There's apparently some new form of ultrasound version where they can do it without even cutting the skin, but it's not been approved for humans yet.

Aw, bullocks and geldings have all the luck.  rolleyes

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 08:52:02 AM »
Are vasectomys reversible? I also heard of a new version with neat plastic clips that kind of pinch things off, but can be removed later easily.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

client32

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 08:58:49 AM »
Are vasectomys reversible? I also heard of a new version with neat plastic clips that kind of pinch things off, but can be removed later easily.
I have seen ads for reversing a vasectomy.  Last I heard the odds of it being successful wasn't all that high.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 09:00:14 AM »

Budget version of that!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 09:06:42 AM »
As I read this thread a scene from Monty Python's 'The Meaning of Life' keeps springing to mind...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Len Budney

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 09:28:09 AM »
As I read this thread a scene from Monty Python's 'The Meaning of Life' keeps springing to mind...

"Maybe if they were pulled off, in an accident?"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 12:30:09 PM »
I had one back in 1979. I was sore for a couple of days, but not bad.

As for reversability, the surgeon told me that there were tiny valves that could be installed on the vans tubes so that the vasectomy could be reversed if desired. I opted not to get the valves, though.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 05:47:58 PM »
Short term -- bruised nuts.  Really bruised.  Tender for a while.  It'll be two or 3 weeks before you're good to go, vis-a-vis sperm count.

The valium helped for that

You're lying on a table in the doctor's office without pants.  Some guy's doing something down there, and you don't care.  Whatever they gave me (I think it was valium), it was good stuff.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 07:55:12 PM »
No valium for me those many years ago.  No real pain, except some minor soreness afterwards that lasted a few days.
No big deal, in and out in about an hour.  Well worth it.

Interestingly, my daughter was born because of my vasectomy.  The doctor cleared us for fun and games a little too soon.  His lab did a statistical sample of the sample I provided six weeks after the fact.  They did not look at the whole thing.
Got my (now ex-) wife pregnant on the first go around.  I told her at the time that we were going to finally have our daughter, as the first three had been boys.  I remembered reading someplace that the "female" sperm are longer lived, and most likely that's all that were left six weeks post snip.
The doctor did another test after my wife became pregnant, looking at the whole sample this time, and found one live sperm cell.  Just one.  He said there could not have been more than fifty when I got my wife pregnant.  Well past technically infertile.  But the ex- was the quintesential fertile Myrtle.  First time, every time.  And it only takes one.
My daughter is a beautiful 16 now, about to be a junior in high school.  A wonderful girl.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

w turner

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 06:10:46 AM »
I had mine on June 7 of this year.  I had it easy as my doctor opted to put me under for mine.  I didn't care as that was just one more memory I didn't need.  I stayed real intimate with a couple of bags of frozen peas and frozen corn for the first 48 hours, after that almost everything was fine.

Only reason I said "almost" everything is because a few weeks later, I notice that the incisions had knots under the healed skin and were a little painful to the touch.  Turns out, the "dissolving" stitches my guy used weren't dissolving at all for me.  I took'em out myself with a pair of sterilized tweezers and cuticle scissors. 

My wife about fainted when I told her what I did and showed her the stitches. 

W

client32

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 06:46:29 AM »
I had mine on June 7 of this year.  I had it easy as my doctor opted to put me under for mine.  I didn't care as that was just one more memory I didn't need.  I stayed real intimate with a couple of bags of frozen peas and frozen corn for the first 48 hours, after that almost everything was fine.

Only reason I said "almost" everything is because a few weeks later, I notice that the incisions had knots under the healed skin and were a little painful to the touch.  Turns out, the "dissolving" stitches my guy used weren't dissolving at all for me.  I took'em out myself with a pair of sterilized tweezers and cuticle scissors. 

My wife about fainted when I told her what I did and showed her the stitches. 

W

Are you NUTS!?!?!?

I sent fly a PM, but my recovery took me longer than normal. 
Valium was the drug my doc used.  I remember parts of it, but not much.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

w turner

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
LOL

It really wasn't as bad as it sounds.  I have taken my own stitches out before when I had to have a nasty cut under my eye stitched up.  Felt a little twinge when I started pulling the thread out but other than that no discomfort at all.

As screwed up as it sounds, I can handle doing it myself much better than I can handle having to watch as someone else does it.  Besides, it's just skin.  Even if it is the skin holding the jewels.

W   

client32

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 08:10:51 AM »
I understand that.

I've taken my own stitches out a couple of time.  To be honest I trust a vet that I know than I do most Dr.s.

Paddy

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 08:23:49 AM »
Maybe Rabbi knows a moyle who could work you into his schedule?  Just make sure he knows it's a vasectomy   cheesy

Len Budney

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 09:43:37 AM »
Maybe Rabbi knows a moyle who could work you into his schedule?  Just make sure he knows it's a vasectomy   cheesy

Oy vay! I cut off the wrong end!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 10:31:43 AM »
Don't worry about the fact your voice goes up a bit and you seem attracted to silk shirts.  That will pass in about a month.   laugh
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 10:33:29 AM »
Okay, sit down...  

There is a surgeon in town who is an oddball.  I don't know him personally, but goes outside by the hospital dumpster after surgurey to smoke a bunch of cigarettes, has a tattoo "Born to Cut".  He did some work on my brother-in-law.  Top notch doc, but eccentric.

I'm pretty close with my personal physician, and this is what he said when the topic came up.

Doctor Oddball did his own vasectomy.  Word got out, because he had to have a couple of docs "on hand" to assist, and to stand by in case of excessive bleeding, etc.  

I suppose it ain't that big of a deal.

Soakers, intact for now.
7-11 was a part time job.

The Viking

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 12:17:02 PM »
Okay, sit down... 

There is a surgeon in town who is an oddball.  I don't know him personally, but goes outside by the hospital dumpster after surgurey to smoke a bunch of cigarettes, has a tattoo "Born to Cut".  He did some work on my brother-in-law.  Top notch doc, but eccentric.

I'm pretty close with my personal physician, and this is what he said when the topic came up.

Doctor Oddball did his own vasectomy.  Word got out, because he had to have a couple of docs "on hand" to assist, and to stand by in case of excessive bleeding, etc. 

I suppose it ain't that big of a deal.

Soakers, intact for now.
Read about a guy on ModBlog who did a vasectomy on himself. He had all the kids he wanted, but it was illegal to get oneself sterilized in East Germany, so he got a medical book, some tools and did it on himself, without the benefit of local anastesia. It apparently worked, since he didn't have any more kids from what I read.
Years later, he split his entire penis, from tip to the root shocked.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 03:04:39 PM »
Doctor Oddball did his own vasectomy.
I think I'll pass on the DIY surgery.

Thanks, all, for the info.

Yesterday, I had my twice yearly aviation medical exam.  I asked that Doc for a referal to a urologist and some general info about vasectomies.  I'm 38; my wife is 32.  We don't have kids and don't want kids.  We've discussed it in depth many times, so I'm confident neither of us will change our mind.  One thing he mentioned is that I may have difficulty finding a urologist to perform the vasectomy.

The reason I may not be able to find a willing surgeon, is because of malpractice.  According to my aviation doctor, some other doctors will refuse to do a vasectomy on a person my age because there is a chance in the future (practically nil in my life) that I will change my mind or get remarried to a woman who wants kids.  The theory goes that my new wife (or I) could sue the surgeon for malpractice.  I don't understand the logic behind it, but I do realize our court system is full of such nonsense.

Anyway, I'll contact the urologist I was referred to next week to see what he has to say.

Thanks, again, for your help and info.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 04:22:08 PM »
Get a cherry bomb and a tin can. Light the cherry bomb, drop it in the tin can and count to ten.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 04:54:52 PM »
Dontcha think I should sit on it or something?  grin