Author Topic: Altering Expectations  (Read 1050 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Altering Expectations
« on: August 16, 2007, 01:58:13 PM »
It's really weird... I got set up to do the large format photo printing, and some of it's there, but...

The dealer had a "such a deal" on one of their demo outdoor signage solvent printers... For printing on vinyl, that sort of thing... And after a coupla relatives actually verified that it _was_ "such a deal," I bought it...

The large format stuff may still turn out to be interesting, but I've been cranking out banners and car door magnets like nobody's business... And may actually make more at that than I anticipated from the high-quality photo printing stuff...

So I'm revising a lot of what I was thinking about workflow, etc., etc...

Blog under construction

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Altering Expectations
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 04:26:42 PM »
So you wanted to be Renoir but instead you're a sign painter???   Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 04:43:48 PM »
Hey, even Michaelangelo painted houses on the side for walkin' around money. grin

And they said you couldn't turn lead into gold.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 05:43:35 PM »
Bogie, when I set out in 1976 to go to photo school, it was my goal to become the finest advertising photographer in the state.

When I got my first real shooting job in 1978, I was really gung-ho. I wanted the "glory" work.

When I opened my own studio in 1987, I continued to pursue the high-end advertising jobs. I didn't think twice about the bread and butter stuff.

Well, the photographers who've done very well financially didn't pursue the glamorous ad  work. They went for bread and butter. They're now set to retire comfortably, and I'm asking myself, "what retirement?"

Follow the money.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 08:10:04 PM »
I'm figuring on diversification. If one thing clicks good, then I'm really happy... With multiple niche markets, I can cut some of the "be everything to everyone" kinda hassles, you know?

Did a buncha stuff at the IBS Benchrest Nationals, and I'm getting folks e-mailing about other stuff... Will probably be running an ad in Precision Shooting, maybe even one of the mainstream rags...

As it is, I've bought good equipment, and I've paid attention to workflow detail, as only someone who used to play management consultant/process engineer, can do...

Blog under construction

Vile Nylons

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 03:10:50 AM »
Sign buziness ben berry berry gud to me!

My wife's an artist in watercolors but to buy food did some sign work. Which led to a wood carving sign business about 25 years ago in NY. S/we moved the business to MN, got on the Internet, followed the easier money into plastics, dragged me kicking and screaming out of retirement, manipulated our web site to #1 on Google and Yahoo, and we are honkin' .

It's been a sequence of course adjustments and altered expectations. I would never have believed I'd be scratching plastic in my later years, but now I rather enjoy the whole thing.

Nothing like seeing a dozen orders boxed and waiting for UPS pickup, lettering somebody's truck or boat, or driving by a carved wood sign we made 10 years back.