Author Topic: Can't sleep: random thoughts  (Read 1337 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Can't sleep: random thoughts
« on: August 16, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »
It's 12:09 am on Friday morning. Can't sleep, even though I didn't sleep last night. And I have, as Bob Dylan once wrote, a headful of ideas that are driving me insane.

1. For several years now, my wife has slept on the sofa downstairs, as she's said that my snoring keeps her awake. I've been trying to get her to sleep in the king-sized bed that she bought a few years ago, but no. Last night she tried once again sleeping in the bed, and she slept like a rock until 9 am. Of course, I was awake all night, listening to her snore.  And she was very late for work.

2. I had a half-day photo shoot today for a small ad agency. It was real meatball photography, no thought involved. It was also so low-budget that the studio couldn't afford to hire a freelance assistant for me for $100 for a half-day shoot. Tomorrow, the sales rep will be taking the art director and his boss out for a day of golf. He said the total bill for the outing will probably be in the area of $300. Misplaced priorities?

3. This studio also has one of the most talented Photoshop artists I've ever seen. The guy is a bit on the weird side, but his talent is just incredible. The owner of the studio got some sort of bug up his ass, and has made the Photoshop guy a freelancer now. So, no work for a guy who needs the money. The other day, I shot a little job that needed a lot of retouching, and an artist's touch. Rather than give the job to the now-freelancer, the owner of the studio gave it to some Photoshop technicians who work for another company he owns. They're not artists, and they screwed the job up royally. They lost the client. It's just weird office politics, but I thought the owner was above that sort of thing.

4. Earlier this week, my oldest brother in PA was taken to the hospital because he couldn't breathe. He's had emphysema for several years. Now it's reached the point where he can't breathe at all. What do the doctors say? Stop smoking. Isn't it a bit late for that?

5. Mitt Romney winning in the Iowa caucuses. If he's going to win the Republican nomination, he's going to need to spend 25% of the country's GDP to do so.

6. The statewide CCW group that I started on my own back in 2001. Volunteers decided back in January that the group needed restructuring, including a board of directors. But, with the exception of AJDual, none of the other board members respond to any emails. I'm being hounded by people emailing, asking what's going on with the group. What can I say? That the other three board members just wanted some fancy titles, but don't want to work?

7. Punks. Here in Milwaukee we have plenty of them. One of them, 14 years old, just got sentenced for shooting and paralyzing another kid. He'll be out in two to four years. But that's not the weird part. What's weird is that both of the kids were being raised by their grandmothers (no doubt that both "gramma's" are about 30 years old), and the grandmothers hugged and kissed each other at the sentencing hearing.

8. Cops. I always try to tread lightly on this subject, for obvious reasons. But for every punk story I read in the newspaper, I read a story about a local cop being arrested for murder, conspiracy, child molestation, rape, robbery, or other serious charges. But we're always told that we should entrust the police to carry weapons.

9. The sub-prime loan "scandal." What scandal? Lenders had people with questionable credit histories, charged them a few points more, lent them more money than the people should ever been allowed to borrow, the housing market took a hit, and...it's a surprise? To whom? Not the lenders, unless the head of the lenders' association was my former stockbroker, Terry "Atari will hit $20 a share" Revolinski. (Hey, Terry. A word of advice: don't ever spend time alone in the Utah deserts, most particularly if I'm in the state).

10. The polls right now, which of course mean nothing, seem to indicate that Hillary is headed back to the White House. But will Hillary return the furnishings she took from the WH when she and Bill left in 2000? Or will she replace the stolen items with pieces from Sears?

11. Obama. C'mon, Democrats cannot be serious about this guy. His platform is nothing more than bumper sticker slogans.

12. Ignore item #11. Democrats vote for bumper stickers.

13. Stories about deteriorating bridges. Are you truly fearful that a bridge you're about to cross may collapse while you're on it? If so, what do you do? Drive your vehicle down the bank and through the river? Do you also avoid elevators? What about escalators if they stop? If so, should the government mandate printed instructions on how to walk down an escalator if it stops?

14. Mike Irwin. Does he really exist, or is he just a feature of the forum software?

15. Defective goods from China. What are you doing about them? Are you boycotting Chinese agricultural products, boycotting all Chinese products, or just not chewing on toys made in China? Bonus question: if you're still buying Chinese products, have you seen your dog lately?

16. Internet forums. Do you: a) spend your employer's time surfing the forums; b) spend a bit of your employer's time; c) spend only your own time; d) spend both your employer's time as well as your own; or d) forget if you have a job or not?

17. Sex. Would you describe yourself as heterosexual, homosexual, or see item #16?

18. Relationships. Do you value a relationship based upon physical attraction, mutual interests, intellectual interests, or post counts?

OK, time for bed. I can already hear the snoring.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Can't sleep: random thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:41:50 AM »
Okay, here I go...questions, comments & replies to:
1. Why didn't you wake her up in time to go to work? Not faulting you, just curious.
6. Did the volunteers do some sort of maybe hostile takeover? Are they shutting you out?
15. Paying more attention to where my foodstuffs come from, not buying any from China, not feeding my menagerie anything from China & not chewing on anything from China. Not sure I ever did. I still shop at Wal-Mart, though.
16. Spend my employer's time only after I get my work done. It keeps me awake, alert and they don't care.
17. Non.
18. What are those?
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 02:09:54 AM »
"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, courage to change the things we can, and wisdom to know the difference."

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 05:04:06 AM »
This keeps me awake at night:

Why is the alphabet in that order?  Is it because of the song?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 05:35:39 AM »
Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a park way?

Why does cargo go by ship, and a shipment goes by car?

Why is phonetic spelled the way it sounds?

Why is abbreviation such a long word?
One day at a time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 07:39:16 AM »
"14. Mike Irwin. Does he really exist, or is he just a feature of the forum software?"

Some would say the opposite of a feature.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 12:25:11 PM »
LadySmith, she has to get up much earlier than I do. I actually fell asleep for a little while, right about the time she would usually get up. When I did wake up, I woke her as well.

As for the volunteers, there's been no coup. There hasn't been anything going on at all, which is what frustrates me, as well as AJ.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 06:33:20 PM »
Ambien- the cure for late night random thoughts. laugh

Myself

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 07:13:42 PM »
Wow this is deep stuff.  I usually wonder things like how many pieces of navel lint it would take to stuff a pillow.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 08:45:13 PM »
Myself, I'm sorry that I forgot the navel lint question. Next time I can't sleep, I'll add it to the collection of thoughts. Wink

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 09:02:43 PM »
Random thoughts about lefties.

They rail against big business.  Then they complain when big business downsizes.

They criticize churches for having denominational disputes.  Then they accuse Christians of blind faith.

They say they want to stop violence.  Then they pass gazillions of unnecessary laws, which are ultimately enforced by violence. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 10:55:46 PM »
Years back, I clipped a Bizarro cartoon from the newspaper. I still have it stuck to my wall right now. It shows a guy in a suit sitting in a prison cell, opening a box. The tagline says, "who knew you could win a Clio for murdering the client?"

I should have won one of those Clio's today.

So, some more random thoughts, this time related to photograhy:

1. If you don't buy photography services on a regular basis, don't shop for the lowest price. And also, please, don't call with ridiculous requests.

What's ridiculous? Well, a few years ago I had a guy call me straight from the Yellow Pages. He had some kind of company, wanted to do a brochure, and wanted to have a photo of him on the cover surrounded by piles of money, and a greenish-glow on his face.

Him: "How much?"

Me: "Well, we have some issues here to consider. I've shot stacks of real money before. $10,000 in dollar bills doesn't really stack that high. How high do you want to go?"

Him: "Oh, like up to my shoulders."

Me: "Well, then, I'd suggest that you get the bills, and hire an armored car company on your own. It would save you money."

Him: "So, how much?"

Me: "With everything you've described, I'd say about $3000 for the shot."

Him: "That much? I only have $300 to spend."

Me: "I'm sorry, sir, but I can't do the job for that amount."

Him: "Well, can I do it myself?"

Me: "Yes. You can rent some photography equipment from a local rental place."

Him: "How much would that cost me?"

Me: "Probably about $400 for everything you'd need."

Him: "Couldn't I, like, hold a green Christmas tree bulb in front of my face to light it all?"

Me: "Sure. But the bulb isn't very bright, so you'll need to stand absolutely motionless for at least a day or two."

2. If you're not experienced in photography or graphic design, please don't tell me my business. I've spent the last 30 years doing what I do best. You may think you have an original idea, but you do not. So please give me at least a bit of credit for knowing how to photograph your "original idea."

If your "original idea" is indeed original, it's probably because it either can't be done, or can't be done on your $200 budget.

Which brings me to point #3.

3. My bosses are idiots. They have no prior experience in the photography market. They believe every client has the potential to become a big-money client.

Yeah, and I'm Donald Trump.

Please don't tell my bosses that you're going to give them thousands of dollars of work if this $200 shot goes well. I've been around the block many times, and for many years. I know that pitch. As a famous and veteran photographer--Al Satterwhite--once put it, when asked about the deals on first shoots: "I'll give you a deal on our second photo shoot if you pay full rate on the first."

4. If you have a $200 shot, please don't abuse the photographers and retouchers by demanding all sorts of variations. If you think I'm being "high and mighty," consider that most plumbing companies bill their guys out at $250 an hour, which is not unreasonable. What's unreasonable is that you ask experienced photographers and Photoshop artists to spend days changing the lighting and everything else on your shot, because you had no idea what you wanted in the first place. And that brings me to item #5.

5. If you're so inexperienced that you don't know from the outset what you want, perhaps you should consider another career. Washing cars, for example. If nothing else, at least you get to dance on the job. "Talkin' 'bout the car wash. Talkin' 'bout the car wash, girl."

6. If you--and, by "you," I mean the ditzy, inexperienced, pain in the ass client I had to do a re-shoot today for---ignore the five points above, then I can't help you. All I can do is take your stupid little product and beat you with it so hard that you'll be in a coma.

Ah, well. Another day, another dollar. Wink

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 10:58:31 PM »
Ambien- the cure for late night random thoughts.

Thoughts, yes.  Actions, maybe not.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 06:50:46 AM »
11. Obama. C'mon, Democrats cannot be serious about this guy. His platform is nothing more than bumper sticker slogans.

12. Ignore item #11. Democrats vote for bumper stickers.

Republicans vote for bumper stickers, too.  In order to find candidates with popularity and with views in alignment with the party platform, major compromises have to be made in the areas of intelligence, integrity, etc.  Then there are the wonders of having only two options.  See http://rangevoting.org

"You will fight because we tell you to fight."
"You will die for us when we tell you to die for us."
(Bonus geek points if you catch the reference.)
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »
Democrats Republicans Libertarians People vote for bumper stickers. 

Christians Muslims Atheists People tend to follow the crowd, without rigorously examining the bases of their beliefs.   

I guess I'm a pessimist. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 04:33:22 PM »

"It's over because we've decided it's over,...
"Now get the hell out of our galaxy! Both of you!"

...all love is unrequited...all of it...
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 09:13:35 PM »
Well, I can _make_ bumper stickers. The nice ones. On vinyl. Not paper.

You _know_ you wanna tell the world something obnoxious.

Heck, we need to think up a Monkeyleg Bumper Sticker.

Blog under construction

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 07:25:46 AM »

"It's over because we've decided it's over,...
"Now get the hell out of our galaxy! Both of you!"

...all love is unrequited...all of it...
I had a feeling I knew what it referenced. The second set of quotes confirmed it. I was just thinking about that the other day too. smiley
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 07:26:27 PM »
Random thoughts about lefties.

I do not rail against big business, and I only complain if Big Business downsizes my job.

I don't criticize churches for having denominational disputes, nor do I accuse Christians (or any other religion, for that matter) of blind faith.

And lastly, violence is sometimes necessary, and I wish most of the laws would just go away.

Now: what is this thing you have about us Southpaws?
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!