Author Topic: Deer Hunting Causes Heart Risk in Men  (Read 928 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Deer Hunting Causes Heart Risk in Men
« on: August 18, 2007, 01:14:25 PM »
Choices:
1) Agenda
2) Stupidity

At least women hunters are safe.

-----------------------------------
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070817/hl_nm/deer_risk_dc

Deer hunting may put men's hearts at risk

Fri Aug 17, 2:27 PM ET

Deer hunting could be a dangerous endeavor for men with heart disease or risk factors for it, research findings suggest.

In a study of 25 middle-aged male deer hunters, researchers found that the activities inherent to hunting -- like walking over rough terrain, shooting an animal and dragging its carcass -- sent the men's heart rates up significantly.

In some cases, this led to potentially dangerous heart-rhythm disturbances, or diminished oxygen supply to the heart.

Of the 25 hunters, 17 had established coronary heart disease, while the rest had risk factors such as being overweight, smoking or having high blood pressure or cholesterol.

The findings suggest that for men like these, hunting could boost the risk of heart attack or cardiac arrest.

Susan Haapaniemi and colleagues at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oaks, Michigan, report the findings in the American Journal of Cardiology.

For the study, the researchers outfitted each man with a portable monitor that continuously recorded his heart's electrical activity during a day of deer hunting. For comparison, the men also had their hearts monitored as they exercised on a treadmill on a separate day.

In general, the researchers found, deer hunting put the men's hearts under more strain than the treadmill did. Ten men exceeded the maximum heart rate they logged on the treadmill, and several showed potentially dangerous heart responses to hunting that they did not show during the treadmill test.

Three men had signs of impeded blood flow to the heart during hunting, but not on the treadmill. Similarly, three of the men with heart disease had heart-rhythm abnormalities while hunting that did not show up on the treadmill test.

The combination of physical exertion, adrenaline rush and the stress of rough terrain and cold weather may explain the "excessive cardiac demands" seen with hunting, according to Haapaniemi's team.

What's more, they point out, most of the men in the study were taking part in an exercise program to treat their heart disease, or were regularly physically active. Hunting could be an even greater strain on the heart in men who are usually sedentary, the researchers note.

SOURCE: American Journal of Cardiology, July 15, 2007.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Deer Hunting Causes Heart Risk in Men
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 01:19:33 PM »
Have these people ever heard the phrase "cause and effect?"

I'd imagine they'd find similar results if they studied men who went hiking.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 01:22:51 PM »
Duh.

I'm in fairly good cardiovascular shape, work out regularly, and am not significantly overweight (10-15lbs).  Even so,  walking up a mountain with a rifle, treestand, and assorted gear is tough.  Coming back down with all that and a deer is harder, especially with all the obstacles in the way. 

Chris

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 01:41:41 PM »
A better title would be, " Strenuous exercise could be fatal for middle-aged men with heart disease."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 02:19:36 PM »
A better title would be, " Strenuous exercise could be fatal for middle-aged men with heart disease."

That would be unbiased and logical. We can't be having any of that.

Bad Lee. Bad. Back to indoctrination.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 02:19:52 PM »
Why, the gun rags have been talking about buck fever for decades. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 03:21:05 PM »
Three men had signs of impeded blood flow to the heart during hunting, but not on the treadmill. Similarly, three of the men with heart disease had heart-rhythm abnormalities while hunting that did not show up on the treadmill test.

How about a headline like:

Treadmill Test Doesn't Find All Heart Problems

Huh?

I went through this with the #$%^&* doctors almost 20 years ago - "all our tests say you have normal lung/heart capacity for a man of your age" when a year previously I had been cutting timber at 10,000' ASL.  I'd say that's probably a little more exertion that your "normal" man normally does  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

crt360

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 04:49:33 PM »
One of my good friend's dad died of a heart attack while deer hunting a few years ago.  He was in good shape, not overweight and didn't have any pre-existing heart problems.  He was even a doctor.  It was a big shock to everyone that knew him.

I wonder if they figured out which hunting is most "heart healthy?"
For entertainment purposes only.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 04:59:54 PM »
It's a headline that draws in readers, nothing more. No agenda, no stupidity, nothin'. The nice editors would like you to click on the link or read the paper so advertisers will continue paying them.

It clearly states in the second paragraph what the study actually says, which isn't controversial in the least.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."