Author Topic: Help me remember a word that doesn't seem to exist  (Read 877 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Help me remember a word that doesn't seem to exist
« on: August 18, 2007, 11:32:57 PM »
I remember once hearing the word "gaffaloon" that apparently described lovers who died at the same time or soon after the other.  As I heard the word and didn't read it, I haven't a clue how to spell it. 

I can't find the word on wikipedia or anywhere on the internet, even after attempting to spell it in various ways.   It's driving me nuts.

Did I dream this word up or what?  Has anyone here heard that word before, or any similar word with that definition?

Vodka7

• friend
Re: Help me remember a word that doesn't seem to exist
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 03:19:09 AM »
Vonnegut had a word for that in one of his books, for lovers who died within a month of each other.  I just flipped through my copy of Cat's Cradle, where I swear it's from, but I couldn't find the passage marked.  Lemme google.

After a little googling: the word you're think of is "Granfalloon" which means ''a false karass, [...] a seeming team that [is] meaningless in terms of the ways God gets things done"

So, it looks like we're both getting the word from the same book, if only one of us could find the right word.

Edit the second:

"A duprass is "a karass composed of only two persons". The members of a duprass die within a week of each other. [ 41 ] A duprass "is a valuable instrument for gaining and developing, in the privacy of an interminable love affair, insights that are queer but true." It "is also a sweetly conceited establishment." [ 55 ] "

*phew* I knew it was Cat's Cradle Cheesy

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 05:34:10 AM »
That's some impressive research, Vodka7!  I must have spent an hour on Google with nothing to show for it.  I feel quite relieved knowing it's not a word I made up and stored in the noggin for no reason.
Thanks!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 02:26:52 PM »
No, it's a word that Vonnegut made up and put in your noggin.  That makes you feel better?  Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 07:10:37 PM »
Well, Fistful, now that the word has been posted on this forum, and can be found via search engines, how much longer do you think it will be before the word is in the dictionary?

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 08:52:20 PM »
Help me remember a word that doesn't seem to exist
You don't ask much, do you?  grin
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 09:12:21 PM »
I looked up the word, albeit with my incorrect spelling, in several dictionaries.... no dice.  Wikipedia... no dice.   Now had I added the r, prehaps I would have been led in the right direction and found the word eventually.  But prehaps not, my most comprehensive dictionary has a publish date in the early 60's.

No worries folks, I do own and use dictionaries (and the blesses Wikipedia) often. However, I also have issues properly spelling words I only vaguely remember hearing decades in the past as well.  cheesy  With such fine folks such as those who frequent here, I know I always have some chance of success! 

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 01:50:47 AM »
You don't ask much, do you?

At least he didn't ask for the name of that thing that does that stuff with the whatchamacallit.  smiley
Actually, I think this bit of detective work was amazing. Vodka 7 definitely earned a cyber cookie.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 02:00:47 AM »
Well, Fistful, now that the word has been posted on this forum, and can be found via search engines, how much longer do you think it will be before the word is in the dictionary?
Uh, I don't know.  Why do you ask? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife