Main Forums > The Roundtable

$300 K in hand, where should we move?

(1/6) > >>

Guest:
Well, not actually in hand but in equity. We have a nice 8 acre piece of semi rural land and a portable biz in the Puget Sound. - we could move it anywhere the UPS and frieght trucks go. The area is getting built up and I have always wanted more land.

Our immediate enviroment is great, and it will stay that way due to the terrain- there is a very steep unbuildable ravine behind us that acts like a natural barrior- no houses in view, and  we work at home, BUT as soon as we leave it is developments and box stores.

My dream place would have a 60 to 100 acres of hardwoods and softwoods, rolling hills, a bit of good farmland, and some rocky outcropping. A stream is nice. In short, very similar in landscape to where I grew up in central Connecticut, but with out the subdevelopments and multimillion dollar homes.  Not to high on the heat and humidity please. A political climate where people have some independence, I hate dogma.  Nieghbors who like to garden, shoot , fly small airplanes ride motorcycles and drink good beer would be great.  Anywhere near a golf course is probably too suburban for me. A small college town within a couple hours drive might be nice for some artsy craftsy stuff.

My definition of rural is a place you walk down the road with a rifle in hand, not in hunting season, and you don't get the police called on you. Or a place you can put an ultra light strip on the back 40 without having to fight the county. Maybe a place you could build a small dam for power and fish without a jillion enviromental wacko's opposing every move. (I am not talking boulder dam here, maybe a 5 foot high structure for a pond. Around here, that would take an act of Divine Intervention.)

Places I would NOT consider- Cal., NY, NJ, IL., Fl, LOU.,MISS., AK., TX ,ND,MIN.,, some for political reasons and some for climate. (guess which!) Do not get offended if your state is in the list, some of them are bueatifull places but I just can't take the heat!

Some places I have thought about - The northern New Engand states- Vermont, NH, Maine.-- Pennsylvania, and the Carolinas.-- Virginia, Tenn., KT.-- Nothern AZ or NM. -- Eastern WA. or Ore. (altho I hate being lorded over by the Masters in Olympia or Salem.)

Your thought's, please. Thank you!

mtnbkr:
Far Southwestern Virginia, maybe an hour or so from Roanoke.

Chris

Brad Johnson:

--- Quote ---Your thought's, please. Thank you!I think you're nuts for wanting to leave a place that sounds so serene and peaceful, even given the encroachment of modern man.

I'd be tempted to stay as long as the neighbors are... well... neighborly. The land value will only keep going up, and someday a business busybody may well be tempted to offer you much more than residential market value. Then you can cash in on the temporary artificially inflated value and bail.

Just my $0.02.

Brad

K Frame:
Juniata or Mifflin counties, Pennsylvania.

Close enough to Harrisburg and State College to have some contact with humanity, but still low property prices.

Ben:
Try browsing here:

http://www.landandfarm.com/lf/

Then check here for local conditions:

http://www.city-data.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version