Main Forums > The Roundtable

Finding Hoffa

(1/4) > >>

Polishrifleman:
What's the big deal?  

Does it bother anyone else that the FBI etc.. are spending our money looking for him?  It's not like a Geraldo Rivera special or one man's quest.  We are talking about huge tax dollars based on a tip from a guy in prison about a guy who has been gone for 30 years.

If they do find him great, they can start a new tourist attraction, and then go prosecute some 60+ yr old wise guys (probably already dead) for murder.

garrettwc:
It doesn't bother me that they are still working the case. After all, it is an open investigation.

What bothers me is that rather than treat it like any other investigation, and just going out there and quietly doing their job, they are turning it into a "Film at 11" event for the drive by media. If they find him THAT would be news. The fact they are looking isn't.

It's funny you mentioned Geraldo. When I saw this on the news the other night I had this sense of "Al Capone's Secret Vault" deja vu.

Polishrifleman:
I don't think they are treating it like film at 11.  It is the media doing that based on some local person telling the media they are digging up a farm looking for Hoffa.  The media as usual is in search of a scoop and needs a distraction from another Hollaway arrest, more bombings and bloodshed in Iraq, New Orleans is still in trouble story.  They need to create news vs. report on it.

I just can't believe the tax dollars being spent.  I can see a couple old detectives digging through cold case leads or asking if the barnyard dog digs in a particular spot all the time, but 10's of agents, contractors digging the place up, ground penetrating radar, dog handlers etc...

And again, all of this is based off a credible tip from a guy in prison.

garrettwc:
Polish, I think we are saying the same things. I'm just not articulating it well.

--- Quote ---They need to create news vs. report on it.Agreed. They have to fill up all that time they have allocated even when things are slow.

--- Quote ---I can see a couple old detectives digging through cold case leads or asking if the barnyard dog digs in a particular spot all the time, but 10's of agents, contractors digging the place up, ground penetrating radar, dog handlers etc...Again, I agree. You need a small team of 3-5 consisting of agents, forensic folks, and someone to operate the backhoe and that should be it.

What I do think is that these two things are related. The FBI (as well as most alphabet agencies right now) need the PR. The media needs to fill the airtime. They collaborate to make a big deal out of it with lots of fanfare and dozens of agents.

Otherguy Overby:
Last I heard the (F)amous (B)ut (I)ncompetent were examing 30 year or more year old evidence that was new to them.

Anyway they won't find anything.  Hoffa was made into dog food, canned and sold many years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version