Author Topic: Piling on - Massachusetts version  (Read 765 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Piling on - Massachusetts version
« on: March 04, 2018, 11:22:19 AM »
http://www.newser.com/story/256112/superintendent-apologizes-after-93-7-hs-basketball-game.html

Girls' basketball game ends with the score 93-7, and the winners kept their first string in until almost the end.

There almost has to be more to this story. This wasn't a regular season game (in which case I'd be asking why two so obviously mis-matched teams were even playing), this was the first round of the state tournament. Unless in Massachusetts every team is automatically in the tourney, the losing team must have won some games during the regular season.

These situations are, IMHO, a dilemma. It's not sportsmanlike ("sportspersonlike"?) to run up the score like that, but is it less insulting to tell the winning team to intentionally hang back and not play defense for awhile to make it look like a contest? What if even the winning team's third string is that much better than the other team's first string? It's a situation that shouldn't exist, but I do think the winning coach should at least have been giving his second and third string a lot more playing time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Piling on - Massachusetts version
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 01:18:25 PM »
I don't watch basketball much, but when you see a blowout in football, the winning team normally starts running the ball every play in the 2nd half and starts substituting backups liberally.  They might keep running the normal offense if the backups are in.  Sometimes they wait until the 4th quarter to do all that.  It depends on if the losing team is still scoring or not. 

In basketball, I would think momentum means a lot, but with only 7 points, I really doubt the losing team ever had any at all.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 08:24:03 AM »
Serious question...does basketball have forfeit? It seems like the losing team should have forfeited at a certain point rather than basically not play. But I don't know if that sort of thing happens in basketball.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 11:44:27 AM »
So what.

In 1940, the Chicago Bears beat the Washington Redskins in the NFL Championship Game (it wasn't the Super Bowl back then) by a score of 73-0.

And there have been plenty of blowouts in all sports - amateur and professional - since.

If you're talking about little kids - I mean pre-teens - a mercy rule may make sense - i.e., once one team pulls ahead by a certain margin, victory is declared and the game is over.

But by high school and college? Uh-uh. Get over it, snowflakes.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 03:09:50 PM »
I don't watch basketball much, but when you see a blowout in football, the winning team normally starts running the ball every play in the 2nd half and starts substituting backups liberally.  They might keep running the normal offense if the backups are in.  Sometimes they wait until the 4th quarter to do all that.  It depends on if the losing team is still scoring or not. 

In basketball, I would think momentum means a lot, but with only 7 points, I really doubt the losing team ever had any at all.

If I remember right, This is partially to try to avoid injuries in your first stringers, as well as to help develop your 2nd and subsequent stringers more by giving them real experience.

I remember one Huskers game where it was so bad that the rumor was that they put the waterboy in as the QB.  The defense scored more than the opposing team did.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 03:47:09 PM »
If I remember right, This is partially to try to avoid injuries in your first stringers, as well as to help develop your 2nd and subsequent stringers more by giving them real experience.

I remember one Huskers game where it was so bad that the rumor was that they put the waterboy in as the QB.  The defense scored more than the opposing team did.
Yeah, and I also realized this was high school.  You can see some pretty lopsided matchups in high school quite often in just about any sport.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge