Author Topic: Fed raises interest rates by 0.5%  (Read 1698 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Fed raises interest rates by 0.5%
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2022, 05:15:15 PM »
Isn't any "money"  fiat currency? Gold only has value because people have agreed that it has value.
Sure, gold is somewhat rare and has certain characteristics that make it useful in decorative as well as technical applications but it's still just a lump of metal.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2022, 05:30:58 PM »
"Isn't any "money"  fiat currency? Gold only has value because people have agreed that it has value. "

Exactly. Why people think gold is somehow this magical "real" money is beyond me.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2022, 05:32:13 PM »
FDR shrank the real money supply by outlawing possession of actual money (gold) and forcing everyone to use fiat currency.

;/

So I guess World War I War Bonds were patriotic, but World War II War Bonds were tools of the Commies.

Jesus.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2022, 06:31:46 PM »
"Isn't any "money"  fiat currency? Gold only has value because people have agreed that it has value. "

Exactly. Why people think gold is somehow this magical "real" money is beyond me.

There is truth to what you say, but gold is "magical" because the fed can't inflate it to worthlessness like fiat money.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2022, 06:53:18 PM »
Oh?  The relative value of hard items can't be manipulated?

DeBeers would like a word.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2022, 07:16:50 PM »
There is truth to what you say, but gold is "magical" because the fed can't inflate it to worthlessness like fiat money.

:facepalm:

Right... sure...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2022, 01:23:24 AM »

If we went back to a gold standard, we'd have vicious economic cycles.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2022, 07:08:31 AM »
Oh?  The relative value of hard items can't be manipulated?

DeBeers would like a word.
I thought his statement related specifically to inflationary pressure. Artificial scarcity is literally the opposite issue.

The gold standard is unworkable in the modern era, but compared to a currency that can be generated in unlimited quantities without even printing on paper, a high value, difficult to inflate commodity like a precious metal certainly has appeal as a store of value in times of high inflation.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2022, 07:21:06 AM »
Land. Tools.

Friends.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2022, 07:40:39 AM »
I thought his statement related specifically to inflationary pressure. Artificial scarcity is literally the opposite issue.

They can flood the market and depress prices as easily as they can withhold and keep prices high.

Anyone with sufficient  reserves (like a nation state) that wanted to cause an inflationary run on gold could choose to dump gold on the market at below the current price. Viola.

You are correct that it's harder to do than the Fed just adjusting a spreadsheet, because someone would need enough of the commodity, but it's far from impossible.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2022, 08:15:41 AM »
"They can flood the market and depress prices as easily as they can withhold and keep prices high."

A number of America's worst financial panics were caused by ham fisted manipulation (by both government and private individuals) of the specie (both gold and silver) markets in the US.

A hard-good backed currency isn't some magical buffer against inflation and all sorts of other economic ills -- it only makes dealing with those ills a lot more difficult.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2022, 08:50:46 AM »
100 years ago, a $20 gold piece (containing just under 1 troy ounce of gold) would buy you a high-quality pistol or a well-tailored suit. So would a paper $20 bill printed by the government.

Today, that same $20 gold piece - or a troy ounce of gold - will still buy you a high quality pistol or a well-tailored suit.

Will a $20 bill printed today by the government do the same?

What does the answer say about what the government prints?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain