Author Topic: They really used to have fun with the kiddies back in the 50s  (Read 5094 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
They really used to have fun with the kiddies back in the 50s
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:46:09 PM »
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/22/4/628

PEDIATRICS Vol. 22 No. 4 October 1958, pp. 628-647

BEHAVIOR OF YOUNG CHILDREN UNDER CONDITIONS SIMULATING ENTRAPMENT IN REFRIGERATORS

Katherine Bain M.D.1, Marion L. Faegre B.A.1, and Robert S. Wyly B.S.1
1 Children's Bureau, U. S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare (K.B.), and National Bureau of Standards, U. S. Department of Commerce
Behavior of young children in a situation simulating entrapment in refrigerators was studied in order to develop standards for inside releasing devices, in accordance with Public Law 930 of the 84th Congress.

Using a specially designed enclosure, 201 children 2 to 5 years of age took part in tests in which six devices were used, including two developed in the course of this experiment as the result of observation of behavior.

Success in escaping was dependent on the device, a child's age and size and his behavior. It was also influenced by the educational level of the parents, a higher rate of success being associated with fewer years of education attained by mother and father combined. Three major types of behavior were observed: (1) inaction, with no effort or only slight effort to get out (24%); (2) purposeful effort to escape (39%); (3) violent action both directed toward escape and undirected (37%).

Some of the children made no outcry (6% of the 2-year-olds and 50% of the 5-year-olds). Not all children pushed. When tested with devices where pushing was appropriate, 61% used this technique. Some children had curious twisting and twining movements of the fingers or clenching of the hands. When presented with a gadget that could be grasped, some (18%) pulled, a few (9%) pushed, but 40% tried to turn it like a doorknob.

Time of confinement in the enclosure was short for most children. Three-fourths released themselves or were released in less than 3 minutes; one-fourth in less than 10 seconds. Of those who let themselves out, one-half did so in less than 10 seconds. One-third of the children emerged unruffled, about half were upset but could be comforted easily, and a small group (11%) required some help to become calm.

Forces exerted in any horizontal direction by the children for whom such records were obtained ranged up to 29 pounds. The average was about 10 pounds for 3-year-olds and about 21 pounds for 5-year-olds. For reasons not known, the 2-year-old group exerted a slightly greater average force than did the 3-year-old group.

More than one-fourth of the children exerted in excess of 18 pounds and almost two-thirds in excess of 12 pounds.

Data from these experiments proved valuable in developing standards for release devices (as required by Public Law 930), which are expected to be effective for self-release by a large percentage of, but not all, entrapped children. An important result of the behavior study was the finding that, when entrapped, children most often try to escape either by pushing on the door through which they entered the enclosure, or by manipulating a knob release as they would a doorknob. Relatively few children pushed against the back, sides or ceiling of the enclosure.

A follow-up study of 96 test subjects, 8 months after the tests, by interviews with the mothers showed very little obvious residual effect. Reversion to infantile behavior was not found. A number of children still talked about the tests, some with pleasure, a few with resentment. Mothers were not aware of more than ephemeral emotional upset in any of the children.

Reasons for the low level of anxiety engendered by the tests may lie in the precautions taken and in factors inherent in the situation; the parents were not involved in the incident, which enabled them to be calm and casual with the children.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: They really used to have fun with the kiddies back in the 50s
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:48:48 PM »
Why would any kid want to get OUT of a refrigerator?  They's FOOD in them there fridge!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:29:03 PM »
When I was a kid, several children from the same family in IIRC, Pennsylvania, disappeared. They looked for them for a couple of days until someone thought to check the old chest freezer in the back yard, the one with the mechanical lock.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »
Why would any kid want to get OUT of a refrigerator?  They's FOOD in them there fridge!

Nah those are only fridge simulators, no food in thar.

When I was a kid, several children from the same family in IIRC, Pennsylvania, disappeared. They looked for them for a couple of days until someone thought to check the old chest freezer in the back yard, the one with the mechanical lock.

Oh do tell of the aftermath of that.
Look, tiny text!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:11:46 PM »

I thought they were looking to apply the test results to real fridges, containing real food.  Weren't they?   undecided

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »

Oh do tell of the aftermath of that.

Several dead children, I imagine. Not a whole lot of air in there with the door shut. There's a reason you don't see the lever-locking chest freezers anymore.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 05:08:27 AM »
It was also influenced by the educational level of the parents, a higher rate of success being associated with fewer years of education attained by mother and father combined.

I wonder why this is?

Could it be a causal relationship between exists parents education and the child's success? (That is, parents with more education had less.. common sense?  Which rubbed off on the kids?)

Or, perhaps the relationship isn't causal in nature. (Parents who had kids that weren't as likely to escape are more likely to have had more formal education.)

At any rate, I find the specifically noted correlation amusing.  Some form on natural selection?  grin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 05:22:04 AM »
They recently did similar tests with interior car trunk escape latches.  Although they were a bit more PC and told the kids what they were studying, and found out some interesting things. I can't remember the details, but there were some things like certain types of knobs and levers and push vs. pull vs. rotate were not obvious to children.

Also lighting the plastic knob orange or red with LED's or with just "light pipe" to exterior sunlight through one of the brake light lenses made a certain percentage of kids think that the lever might be hot. So standard green/yellow GITD plastic was best, kids recognized it from toys.
I promise not to duck.

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 06:27:05 AM »
So standard green/yellow GITD plastic was best, kids recognized it from toys.

I can't imagine that GITD plastic works that well.  I mean, it needs to be exposed to light to charge, or it won't glow.  I know the trunk of my wife's car doesn't see much light.  It gets opened, I throw the kids in, and close it.  The glow-in-the-dark lever doesn't glow, because it wasn't exposed to light for more than a few seconds.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 06:44:35 AM »

I thought they were looking to apply the test results to real fridges, containing real food.  Weren't they?   undecided

Yes I thought you were only talking about the fridges used in the test though.
Look, tiny text!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 08:00:14 AM »
I can't imagine that GITD plastic works that well.  I mean, it needs to be exposed to light to charge, or it won't glow.  I know the trunk of my wife's car doesn't see much light.  It gets opened, I throw the kids in, and close it.  The glow-in-the-dark lever doesn't glow, because it wasn't exposed to light for more than a few seconds.

From the comment, they were getting it light from outside via a light pipe to outside or the brake lights.  Doesn't take much light in a dark trunk.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 08:32:08 AM »
It amuses me that we have at least two people who are paying attention to the issue of kids escaping from confined spaces.  Or perhaps it should disturb me.   

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 08:41:42 AM »
It amuses me that we have at least two people who are paying attention to the issue of kids escaping from confined spaces.  Or perhaps it should disturb me.   

We also have people who worry about the construction of soccer nets so kids can't get their heads stuck in the loops, the lead content, the seperability of toy components that can be choked on, etc...

With today's lower birth rates we can't assume that the average family with 5 kids will, on average, lose one of them before age 18 due to accident.

While I figure that some would detail the study as 'horrific', I think it's valid and important research, and honestly enough, not going to have a lasting effect on the kid if the adults(esp the parents) don't make a big deal out of it.  Tossing a couple dozen kids of various ages into a fridge simulator can save more than that over the course of a decade through smarter designs.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 08:48:45 AM »
Just makin' a joke, boss.   smiley

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 09:01:54 AM »
So standard green/yellow GITD plastic was best, kids recognized it from toys.

Could be. I forget other than watching the kids screwing around in the car trunks on IR video, and the main theme of the news piece on the tests were the surprising results of what's obvious to adults was not to kids.
I promise not to duck.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 10:59:51 AM »
I've always thought a glowing friendly green child sized handprint that if pressed on with even a couple of pounds of pressure would pop the door would be ideal.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Wouldn't that give you a good chance of your trunk flying open, when you hit a bump and some small object bounces around back there? 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 12:20:53 PM »
Yeah, trunk hair triggers could get you in trouble in court.   grin
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 01:09:37 PM »
It's good to know what kind of latch is necessary to keep the kids from escaping  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin