Author Topic: Suggest Tires  (Read 5089 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Suggest Tires
« on: January 26, 2010, 09:22:31 PM »
I have a tire way out of balance.

I'm going to take this opportunity to replace at least the front, but probably all four tires on my car.  At present, the front tires are legally bald.

What type of tires should I buy?  What should I stay clear of?

I'd like to spend around $100/tire.

In order of importance:
Price
Dry/wet traction
Road Noise
Longevity
Ride quality
Snow/Ice Traction

The car is a 1998 Ford Mustang GT.

Thanks!  =)

alex_trebek

• friend
Re: Suggest Tires
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:35:08 PM »
Tirerack.com  Look at individual tire models, not just make. Like everything else, all manufacturers have hit or miss models.

You can view ratings by category.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 11:07:46 PM »
I really like the Toyo tires I have on a couple of cars.
Very good mileage, traction and heat ratings.
What size tires do you have?
I have a buddy with the only tire shop around here. He has beat any price I have found at Shore, Sears or Goodyear in the KC area.
The 150 mile round trip might be worth it.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 12:12:44 AM »
Size?

Both TireRack and Discount Tire have good review systems on their sites.  Don't bother with the "I just got these and they're GREAT" reviews.  Also disregard the "I Love/Hate..." reviews that lack specific and objectively stated pros/cons.  Look for reviews where the owner has put a few miles on the tires and cared enough to come back and give a thorough, fact-based analysis.

The star ratings are a good place to start, but don't rely on them alone.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 01:17:22 AM »
Sam's Club

Tires are worth the price of membership.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:35:55 AM »
Sam's Club

Tires are worth the price of membership.

Interesting, I hadn't considered Sams.

The tires are P225/55R16

I've been through TireRack pretty extensively.  A lot of the reviews seem contradictory.  May have to re-read with what Brad said in mind.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:11:33 AM »
Also, I know Discount Tire has a feature that lets you search tires by car type.  It will list the sizes that apply to your vehicle and, as a part of the search, will only list reviews applicable to that vehicle.  That helps a good bit because some cars can be sensitive to tire construction while others will roll happily along on whatever is available. 

My Vic was a good example.  The Continental ContiPro Contact is a pretty well-ragarded tire but reviews specific to Vic/Marqs evidenced consistent problems with shudder and ride issues.  I had those issues but, unfortunately, discovered them the hard way.  Only after the fact did I do a car-specific search and find the negative reviews.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:38:12 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

norinco982lover

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 11:15:49 AM »
I just put some Bridgestone Potenza 960AS (all season) tires on my Scion TC.

I like them so far.

They were expensive for me but might be cheaper for you.

~Norinco

GAGGER

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 11:18:44 AM »
the hankook mileage plus 80000 tire I got from pepboys seem to be holding up well on my grand prix. I think the were around $85.00. They are a little on the noisy side though.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 08:30:59 PM »
Also, I know Discount Tire has a feature that lets you search tires by car type.  It will list the sizes that apply to your vehicle and, as a part of the search, will only list reviews applicable to that vehicle.  That helps a good bit because some cars can be sensitive to tire construction while others will roll happily along on whatever is available. 

My Vic was a good example.  The Continental ContiPro Contact is a pretty well-ragarded tire but reviews specific to Vic/Marqs evidenced consistent problems with shudder and ride issues.  I had those issues but, unfortunately, discovered them the hard way.  Only after the fact did I do a car-specific search and find the negative reviews.

Brad

We used Discount tire to search for our last set of tires. We ended up buying them there. I looked at quite a few reviews before we got our Goodyear Assurance Tripletred tires. Lots of good reviews, and my buddy's now ex-girlfriend got them and loved them for Minnesota driving as they worked well in snow and in wet conditions. We got some, and they worked well except in snow.  Our Corolla (and Honda Civics as well) are very light in the front end and really need snow tires for best winter driving. Since this isn't a big concern for you, they may work well. I did notice that tire prices have went up quite a bit over the last two years. Yikes. They cost 25% more now than when they did in 2007. Use the Discount Tire site (and others as well like Tires Plus, Walmart, etc.) and see if you can narrow down your choices for what you need.

I guess I should mention that I don't have a problem spending good money for good tires. Good tires do make a difference. Do some checking on the net, and see what friends/family like or hate about what they have for tires.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 08:44:03 PM »
Interesting, I hadn't considered Sams.

The tires are P225/55R16

I've been through TireRack pretty extensively.  A lot of the reviews seem contradictory.  May have to re-read with what Brad said in mind.

I bought 4 uniroyal tires at Sam's club for my 89 Mustang GT 6 years ago for $400 out the door. Not sure if prices have gone up much but I do remember the tires being odd sized (width) and taking a week or so to get it.

Use Sam's club website to see what it would cost you.

I had bought Goodyear Advantage Triple tread for my wife's car (Pontiac Vibe) 2 years ago but it was close to $700 for those four tires. Great tries though!

Uranus is a gas giant.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 12:14:12 AM »
i bought a set of these for my subaru, i loved them for the first 30k or so. then they were like driving next to a 18wheeler all the time. :O things even had(a very small amount of) traction on ice. =D i have a set of coopers now, so far so good. [tinfoil] but really stay away from the tripletreds. [tinfoil] good luck at any rate. =)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 08:45:09 AM »
i bought a set of these for my subaru, i loved them for the first 30k or so. then they were like driving next to a 18wheeler all the time. :O things even had(a very small amount of) traction on ice. =D i have a set of coopers now, so far so good. [tinfoil] but really stay away from the tripletreds. [tinfoil] good luck at any rate. =)

Haven't had those issues with my wife's car and she has about 30k on the tires. I live in Iowa, land of snow and ice 5 months out of the year and I haven't noticed any lack of traction on snow and ice compared to other street/touring tires. Also last summer I was up to 100mph through the curvy highway in Lewis and Clark national forest in Montana and they performed great.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »
Based on the review on tire rack, I opted for Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

They were $432 from tirerack, including shipping, for 4.

Best local price was $130 each + tax.  :O

Thanks all!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 05:29:11 PM »
Just don't make my mistake.  A few years ago I needed new tires for my truck.  Was at Les Schwab and figured out what I wanted and we are all set.  Then they ask:  "You know, for $3 more per tire you can get 10 ply tires, same tire..  just tougher".  "Great I think, they will be really tough!" so I get those. 

The truck definitely rides like a truck now and there is some extra road noise now.  10 ply is a bit excessive for a 1/2 ton truck with a V6...  I don't drive it all that often so it will be a long time before those tires wear out and I replace them with something more appropriate.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
I forgot to mention this, but check out Consumer Reports for tires as well. The best tires are not always the most expensive ones. Also, check your wheels to see what kind of shape they're in. Minnesota potholes will damage many wheels and tires as well.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 12:21:16 AM »
Haven't had those issues with my wife's car and she has about 30k on the tires. I live in Iowa, land of snow and ice 5 months out of the year and I haven't noticed any lack of traction on snow and ice compared to other street/touring tires. Also last summer I was up to 100mph through the curvy highway in Lewis and Clark national forest in Montana and they performed great.
glad to hear it, maybe i just got a bad set [tinfoil] but i don't know if i'll ever be able to buy a set of goodyears again =| that's the third set, they might just not like me. :'(

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 01:34:19 AM »
I spring for Goodyears whenever practical, they seem to last a long time.
Only exception is my wife's car- the Goodyear Eagles spec'd for the car cost about $250 ea, so we go with a Dunlop tire thats similar for about 1/2 the price.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 06:33:13 AM »
Suggest Tires

Oh, all right.  You should get some tires.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 11:54:47 PM »
Be aware, unless you know someone in the tire business(in which case you should've gone through them anyway), you will probably save little-to-no money by buying online.  You'll still have to pay someone to mount and balance the tires, and let's be honest - they're not making any real money on your cheap ass :) so they won't be going out of their way to do outstanding work, and they absolutely *won't* stand behind the tires you bought elsewhere.

I spent several years in the tire business, and I always got pissed when someone bought out from under me and expected me to give them the "hook-up" on mounting.

I recently bought a couple of tires from tirerack.com, but that was because the MR2 takes 205/60R14(a very unusual size these days, although once common) for the rears, and nobody locally had anything worth buying.  I had a friend still in the business mount them for me, but it still cost a couple of lunches.

Juuuust a little food for thought.

check your wheels to see what kind of shape they're in. Minnesota potholes will damage many wheels and tires as well.

If he had wheel damage, he'd know it every time he drove 55-70mph :)  My wife's Miata(used) came complete with one bent wheel, and it's the only car I'll ever drive 80 on the freeway in - because if I slow down just a little, it wobbles like a mother :p

As to the actual tires you purchased, they look good.  I haven't kept up with new tire models, but they look like a quiet tread with good contact, and I have always been impressed with Continental's sportier tires.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 03:10:22 PM »
some shops have figured out how to make a living in the new age [tinfoil] and in NC you'll pay close to the same to get your tires mounted no matter where you buy them. =|

=D