Author Topic: Random "Walking Dead" question  (Read 5091 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Random "Walking Dead" question
« on: August 27, 2015, 10:33:08 AM »
Since I don't watch the show, and, honestly, don't really have the time or inclination to, I wondered:

Do they not have artillery? Seems to me a cannon would be a useful thing, given that the walkers appear to travel in packs...

Cannon are scattered all over the south. Museums, personal collections, etc...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Random "Walking Dead" question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:51:59 AM »
Given that you need a brain shot, it would just be a waste of resources, really.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 11:09:14 AM »
In The Walking Dead the Governor's group had a tank.  They used it to some good effect -- but not against the walkers, but against our heroes, who were held up in a prison.

Artillery in a zombiclypse seems a bit useless.  A very expensive way to TKO a walker's brain.  A .22LR should be quit adequate.
I suppose you could, if you had enough arty, "walk" a barrage into a group of massed walkers and cut 'em up.  But then, the ones who still had intact brains, would still be dangerous, unless their jaws got splattered across the countryside.  Really, only an organized army could do it that way, and that's not what our survivors are.
Some of the gunplay on the show is beyond what I would do in that situation but it still remains more realistic than having them haul arty around.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:37:18 AM »
The simple fact that anyone uses full auto when dealing with walkers is idiotic.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »
The simple fact that anyone uses full auto when dealing with walkers is idiotic.

B-b-but it' so COOL! [tinfoil]
Recalling the sheriff & son shooting the walker hoards entering the prison through the broken chain link fence with FA M-4s, yes, that was wasteful & stupid-----as well as the times I am failing to mention.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 01:37:55 PM »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 01:57:07 PM »
A flail tank would be very useful.

Or that thing that Ashe built in the Medieval Evil Dead movie.

As would a compaction roller, but it would need to be a big compaction roller with an enclosed cab. Sort of like this one. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Seabees_compactor_roller.jpg

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 02:04:44 PM »
Given that you need a brain shot, it would just be a waste of resources, really.

I disagree. Cannon shot, even if not terminating the walkers, would incapacitate them and/or slow them so that the clean-up brain shots become much easier. (And, of course, many would be terminated, as well.)

Blow off a walker's legs, and, yes, it can keep coming, but suddenly causing a mass of walkers to become a mass of crawlers makes the problem more manageable. I'm assuming broken limbs are incapable of supporting even a walker, no?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 02:09:24 PM »

If you can keep it running, and keep it fueled.

One of my pet peeves about the show is how they hardly ever run out of vehicles that run or gasoline that's still usable.   (Yes, I know, it's just a TV show)
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 02:41:08 PM »
"Cannon shot, even if not terminating the walkers, would incapacitate them and/or slow them..."

Maybe, maybe not.

How many rounds did Shane pump into Herschel's example walker to show him that they weren't just sick, but dead?

That one wasn't particularly slowed...

Sure, if you have a large enough cannon to throw a shell or other projectile(s) large enough to have some sort of effect, it MIGHT be worth the expense in manpower, resources, time, inherent lack of portability, etc.

But sorry, I'm just not buying that there would be enough use out of a cannon to justify its disadvantages.

However, if you were to have yourself a static position, say, a fortified compound, then that's an entirely different story. Then a cannon could very well be useful against herds of walkers.

How about a Napoleon 12 pounder firing chain or bar shot?

THAT would be effective as hell, as long as you could figure out how to keep the chain from breaking (which was a big problem), and which is apparently why bar shot were ultimately developed.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »
Grape shot or HE to do damage to them to make them easier to mop up.
But like Mike says...in TWD universe, it's of questionable utility except in a fortified position.  We also know the sound would draw more in, so you'd have to use it sparingly out of desperation.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 03:26:12 PM »
Grape shot would be questionable. The stuff you have to hit in the body to actually make it worthwhile is pretty damned small compared to the areas where a hit won't do squat for you except waste time, effort, and resources.

That's why I'm saying chain or bar shot. A big old flailing scythe. IF it works like it's supposed to.

High explosive is better, but unless you've got someone who truly understands artillery, that's gonna be very, very dangerous to attempt.

Finally, there's one other issue with using artillery or anything like it...

Zombies react to sound. When you pop something off, you're ringing the dinner bell.

I wonder how effective a homemade air cannon would be firing chain shot from a static location.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 06:14:01 PM »
They respond to sound, and react en masse.
The show takes place in GEORGIA

Solution.  Multiple teams, scoped 10/22's, LOTS of ammo.
Go up on water tower (plenty of them).  Team 1 starts shooting walkers and keeps doing it over hours and hours.
Once they need a breather, team 2 starts using another tower a few miles away.  Hell, use loudspeakers to draw them.

Repeat.  
Given typical walking dead speeds, repeating the above every other day should be more than sufficient.

Hell, put noisemakers on a dummy location to draw them there, within earshot of your two towers, to build up a large enough group.

Basically, the only reason zombie movies have plots is people are morons.

https://xkcd.com/734/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 07:21:34 PM »
I've been saying 10/22 since season 1

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 07:37:32 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 07:52:04 PM »
I've been saying 10/22 since season 1

w/ can and subsonic ammo
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

birdman

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 08:41:15 PM »
w/ can and subsonic ammo

Why?  If you are fighting zombies in a way that requires silence...you are doing it wrong.

See WWZ (book, not movie)

MLRS with DP/ICM  then go clean up.

Yeah...same answer, see WWZ (book, not movie)

Waste of ammo.

The one time I did an effectiveness analysis for current military weapons vs zombies (yeah, I was bored for a few hours...about the same time I did a comparison of D-day vs now in terms of whole USN vs. Shore weapons and material delivered to target...with surprising results), the best weapon was...
Either M-2 bradley (since you can single-headshot or group slow down with the 25mm, and it can carry a metric assload of ammo for coax)
Or for lots
Ah-64.  Specifically, the fact that 70mm rockets can be had with flechette warheads, which are by far THE most effective weapon against lots of zombies. 

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 09:19:41 PM »
I don't understand, it's good to make noise and attract zombie herds to you when all you have is a .22 rifle?

I maintain that flail tanks or other heavy vehicles/machinery is the way to go.  

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 09:44:33 PM »
Oh in one of Larry Corriea's MH books, the protagonist makes good use of a giant snow blower

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 09:46:35 PM »
I don't understand, it's good to make noise and attract zombie herds to you when all you have is a .22 rifle?

I maintain that flail tanks or other heavy vehicles/machinery is the way to go.  

Dead rising on xbox one lets you construct something very similar to that, but with a motorcycle body, and it's GREAT fun going through hordes of zombies with it.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 10:45:53 PM »
John ringo ' s zombie apocalypse series has portable zombie traps that are basically  shredders set up in a connex with noise and light bait. Zed goes in one side, paste comes out the other. Set it and forget it.

I'm stealing that idea when the time comes.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 11:08:57 PM »
John ringo ' s zombie apocalypse series has portable zombie traps that are basically  shredders set up in a connex with noise and light bait. Zed goes in one side, paste comes out the other. Set it and forget it.

I'm stealing that idea when the time comes.

Governator had pits for catching them. 
JD

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 08:15:48 AM »
One of my pet peeves about the show is how they hardly ever run out of vehicles that run or gasoline that's still usable.   (Yes, I know, it's just a TV show)

All the time they spend walking around, apparently this world doesn't have bicycles.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »
I had been thinking of the snow cutter example from the 3rd Monster Hunter book also.  A modified combine occured to me as well.  I wonder why I haven't seen that idea used.

That was one of the things I thought was BS about the World War Z book is the author dumped on any thought of using tanks, but never even considering using modified combines or other maybe stationary zombie processor.  Seemed ideal the zombies in that book.  Instead, the author focused on infantry acting as zombie killers and bait at the same time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »
I had been thinking of the snow cutter example from the 3rd Monster Hunter book also.  A modified combine occured to me as well.  I wonder why I haven't seen that idea used.

That was one of the things I thought was BS about the World War Z book is the author dumped on any thought of using tanks, but never even considering using modified combines or other maybe stationary zombie processor.  Seemed ideal the zombies in that book.  Instead, the author focused on infantry acting as zombie killers and bait at the same time.  

Problem with a combine is that it is designed with the bean head to cut cereal grains or soybean plants stem near the ground, then move the cut plant into a threshing machine. Corn head snaps the stalks off and moves the ears into the threshing machine. Bone would destroy either head and the threshing part in a short period of time if you are using it repeatedly.

A forestry head on a skid steer would make more sense for the mythical zombies.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:18:35 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536