Author Topic: Random "Walking Dead" question  (Read 5092 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Random "Walking Dead" question
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2015, 08:24:05 AM »
"My only concern would be if getting them to wander away is not effective, you're trapped without helo support."

Exactly. In such situations, you need a minimum of three positive methods of escape - primary and two back ups. Down the stem and into the madding crowd of peckish zombies really isn't an escape plan.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2015, 09:07:31 AM »
What's the diameter of the first 500 yds or so of water main?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 09:18:51 AM »
What's the diameter of the first 500 yds or so of water main?

I like where you're going with this.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2015, 09:56:45 AM »
Hard to say, but I'd think on the biggest probably 60 inches, and more commonly 48 inches. Enough to scramble through, at least at first.

Take a lot of prep, though. You'd have dig down to the pipe and cut it open to provide an escape route. Not a bad idea, though.

Obviously the tower would have to be empty, or you'd have to empty it.

That's one way out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2015, 10:37:12 AM »
Had an easement going through the yard that carried water from a not-so-towering water tank(1) on top of a hill.  Two pipes.  The small one was 48" and the larger 72" or more, according to the city engineer, Buck. 

Every so often, there was a well-like dealie that contained a ladder and access to the pipes for maintenance.

Weak cyclone fencing, but no zombie is getting through the external wall.

Here it is:
https://goo.gl/maps/Yu7ti

And a topo map of hte area:
http://www.mytopo.com/maps/?lat=34.7840&lon=-92.39393&z=16

(1) Hella-sized reinforced concrete cisterns. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2015, 11:10:35 AM »
Now that one I could see being quite useful for what birdman is proposing.

The perimeter wall would be the only potential sticking point depending on its height. If mid chest height, it would likely keep the Zs from scrambling onto the dome.

At least until the bodies pile up and they're able to climb onto the dome that way.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2015, 11:15:44 AM »
That would make an interesting post apocalyptic shelter I would think.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2015, 11:16:26 AM »
Then you just need to worry about the underground line being empty at least until you can get to the exit as well as any potential for bad air in the hole.  
Had an easement going through the yard that carried water from a not-so-towering water tank(1) on top of a hill.  Two pipes.  The small one was 48" and the larger 72" or more, according to the city engineer, Buck. 

Every so often, there was a well-like dealie that contained a ladder and access to the pipes for maintenance.

Weak cyclone fencing, but no zombie is getting through the external wall.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2015, 11:17:46 AM »
Then you just need to worry about the underground line being empty at least until you can get to the exit as well as any potential for bad air in the hole.  

Bad air is a good point. I wonder if, with no backpressure from water going in, would sewage back up into the lines?  If nothing else, gasses might be present.
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
I guess if you had a group, you could also pre-position people at the exits to help you get out and make sure it is open.  Might need tools to pull a blind flange off.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2015, 11:21:07 AM »
Bad air is a good point. I wonder if, with no backpressure from water going in, would sewage back up into the lines?  If nothing else, gasses might be present.
My first thought is that those two systems should not be connected in any way shape or form (potable water and sewage).  I would be more concerned with what other lines are in the pipeline right-of-way that could leak and just gases leaching out of the ground.  If this is still near the water tower, the right-of-way probably just has the water lines.   If you open up both ends ahead of time, it might help get some air flow in there.

But don't worry about bad air.  If it is bad, you probably won't realize it before you pass out.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2015, 12:02:28 PM »
Bad air is a good point. I wonder if, with no backpressure from water going in, would sewage back up into the lines?  If nothing else, gasses might be present.

At no point should the clean water and waste water systems be connected. If they are, someone *expletive deleted*ed up REALLY badly.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2015, 12:11:36 PM »
Now that one I could see being quite useful for what birdman is proposing.

The perimeter wall would be the only potential sticking point depending on its height. If mid chest height, it would likely keep the Zs from scrambling onto the dome.

At least until the bodies pile up and they're able to climb onto the dome that way.

Satellite view says tank is roughly 72m/235ft in diameter.  Looking at in in street view, there are some places I would think the soil comes up too high in a couple places, but that could be remedied with a mattock and shovel.  Still, that leaves about 740ft of perimeter to defend.  Even with the 6' cyclone fence further out, that sounds like a lot of perimeter to defend. 

==============

A little ways north, on a ridge overlooking the Arkansas River, is an old-school water tower (10m/35ft diam & 14m/43ft tall legs) and newer reinforced concrete water tank (15m/50ft diam & 2.6m/8ft tall walls).  MUCH smaller perimeters to defend.  Plus, awesome line of sight off the water tower on top of the ridge.  I would think I would want to occupy it for that reason alone, given the beau coup utility that would imply.

Plus a LP/OP on top of Pinnacle Mountain a bit to the NW, but within signal mirror range of the ridge water tower(0) as well as hte big honking Lake Maumelle Resevior.  No zombie-proof structure on top of Pinnacle Mountain, though.  Best keep vewy kwiet.

Google Map:
https://goo.gl/maps/RrcJV
https://goo.gl/maps/vGIiX

Topo Maps:
http://www.mytopo.com/maps/?lat=34.8047&lon=-92.41813&z=16 (close)
http://www.mytopo.com/maps/?lat=34.8034&lon=-92.41580&z=14 (context, with other water tank towards the lower right of the map)
http://www.mytopo.com/maps/?lat=34.8143&lon=-92.42421&z=13 (Pinnacle in nw corner of map)

(0) 5.6mi mtn to tower, 2mi tower to big honking tank.

==========

At no point should the clean water and waste water systems be connected. If they are, someone *expletive deleted*ed up REALLY badly.

Tank is part of a drinking water treatment plant.  Not connected to waste water of any type.  They had an overflow creek that put out the best danged water you ever did taste.  Little Rock has some of the best municipal water in the nation.

Oh, and the dashed blue line in the topo map are the aqueducts.  Runs right along the little valley & near & about the stream and gets close (lateral distance-wise) to the water tower on top of the ridge, about 2000ft/580m.  No idea where the maintenance well/shaft would be, though, for egress.  Aqueduct goes all the way to the Lake Maumelle pumping station...just NW of Pinnacle Mountain.  Now THAT would be a hum-dinger of a covered walkway if clear.

=================================

I am such a danged nerd for analyzing this for zombie defense/elimination.  In my defense, I thought of such places' military utility as a kiddo.  And I also used the surrounding terrain for some scenarios at work that needed some river bottom as well as hills.

====================
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »
I am such a danged nerd for analyzing this for zombie defense/elimination.  In my defense, I thought of such places' military utility as a kiddo.  And I also used the surrounding terrain for some scenarios at work that needed some river bottom as well as hills.

When I was a kid, it was the Red Dawn Russion Invasion plan.   =)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2015, 12:49:18 PM »
Well if the world is overrun by zombies stranger things would have certainly happened.

My concern about sewage gases wouldn't be the sewage lines but stagnant line water essentially turning into sewage. Wouldn't take much in a fairly closed system to turn the water putrid and get things rotting in it I would think.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2015, 02:12:59 PM »
When I was a kid, it was the Red Dawn Russion Invasion plan.   =)

Mine too.  And probably more possible (with Chinese instead of Russians), then Zombies.

*- Why is Red Dawn the greatest movie ever?  School is out, pretty much forever.  Get to camp and hunt in the mountains with two super freakin' hot babes.  Then for funnsies you get to shoot and blow up commies. 

Does it get any better?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »
Does it get any better?

Everyone not dying at the hands of the Commies would be better.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2015, 11:07:23 PM »
Everyone not dying at the hands of the Commies would be better.

Ever notice it only started happening when the Zoomie showed up?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2015, 07:24:43 AM »
"My concern about sewage gases wouldn't be the sewage lines but stagnant line water essentially turning into sewage. Wouldn't take much in a fairly closed system to turn the water putrid and get things rotting in it I would think."

It's clean, treated water, coming from a municipal drinking water system. There would be nothing in it to rot.