Author Topic: Federal judge rules California's 10-round magazine limit is unconstitutional  (Read 5341 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/03/29/siren-federal-judge-in-california-rules-states-10-round-limit-on-magazines-is-unconstitutional-ag-becerra-and-mother-jones-hardest-hit/

Federal judge in CA grants summary judgment to plaintiffs in case challenging the state's 10-round limit on firearms magazines. Law is declared unconstitutional and is permanently enjoined from being enforced.

=D

(apologies for the typo in the subject line.  I guess I got too excited)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 12:49:41 AM by Angel Eyes »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
(apologies for the typo in the subject line.  I guess I got too excited)

It's better that way. If you add an l at the end, it makes it a racial slur.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Well, that's ONE  for the Second Amendment.   Now let's see how it goes when challenged ....  [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
See! I leave and CA starts to turn pro-gun!  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
It's not all good news out of CA

Life in a ‘May Issue’ State: Los Angeles Moves to Cancel Remaining Concealed Carry Permits
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/03/daniel-zimmerman/life-in-a-may-issue-state-la-moves-to-cancel-concealed-remaining-carry-permits/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
See! I leave and CA starts to turn pro-gun!  :laugh:

You should have left years ago.   ;)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
 [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15]
To be clear, PC 32310 is dead in it's entirety:

IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that:

1. Defendant Attorney General Xavier Becerra, and his officers, agents, servants, employees, and attorneys, and those persons in active concert or participation with him, and those duly sworn state peace officers and federal law enforcement officers who gain knowledge of this injunction order,or know of the existence of this injunction order, are enjoined from enforcing California Penal Code section 32310.

2. Defendant Becerra shall provide, by personal service or otherwise,actual notice of this order to all law enforcement personnel who are responsible for implementing or enforcing the enjoined statute. The government shall file a declaration establishing proof of such notice.

DATED: March 29, 2019

HON. ROGER T. BENITEZ United States District Judge
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
ny might pressure CA to just accept it to keep it from going to scotus.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
So if the law has been declared unconstitutional - what happens to those who have already been convicted of violating it?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
To be clear, PC 32310 is dead in it's entirety:

IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that:

1. Defendant Attorney General Xavier Becerra, and his officers, agents, servants, employees, and attorneys, and those persons in active concert or participation with him, and those duly sworn state peace officers and federal law enforcement officers who gain knowledge of this injunction order,or know of the existence of this injunction order, are enjoined from enforcing California Penal Code section 32310.

2. Defendant Becerra shall provide, by personal service or otherwise,actual notice of this order to all law enforcement personnel who are responsible for implementing or enforcing the enjoined statute. The government shall file a declaration establishing proof of such notice.

DATED: March 29, 2019

HON. ROGER T. BENITEZ United States District Judge

How long has it been in effect, and what does it say?

Also, will it be appealed to the 9th Circus?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Also, will it be appealed to the 9th Circus?

The 9th is not what it once was. Though they have a ways to go yet, conservative judges have gained ground over the last two years.

We're gonna get tired of stealth winning.  :laugh:

WLJ

• friends
It had already been to the 9th. The 9th then kicked it back to Judge Benitez

The NRA-supported case had already been up to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit on the question of whether the law’s enforcement should be suspended during proceedings on its constitutionality. Last July, a three judge panel of the Ninth Circuit upheld Judge Benitez’s suspension of enforcement and sent the case back to him for further proceedings on the merits of the law itself.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/03/ttag-contributor/nra-ilas-statement-on-duncan-v-becerra/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
I’m not tired of winning.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Living in the 9th Circuit, this warms the cockles of my heart. Just a month ago, the latest magazine ban legislation in Washington did not make it out of committee, and I am sure our AG and the Dem legislators will study this case closely in terms of future attempts at legislation.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Regolith

• friend
It had already been to the 9th. The 9th then kicked it back to Judge Benitez

Problem is the 9th likes to convene panels or en banc sessions with multiple judges to re-hear pro-gun opinions specifically to kill them. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens here.  =|
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/03/29/siren-federal-judge-in-california-rules-states-10-round-limit-on-magazines-is-unconstitutional-ag-becerra-and-mother-jones-hardest-hit/

=D

(apologies for the typo in the subject line.  I guess I got too excited)

In general, since you're the OP, you can change it with the "Modify" button, just like as in the rest of your post.  It's pretty rare that a title is too long;  I don't think yours is.   IIRC, sometimes it takes a while for the correction to propagate throughout the entire thread.

Very glad to hear that news.  I do believe that the radical crazy notion that the founders meant what they said is kind of soaking slowly through the judicial system.  Even in California.

I wonder what effect this might have in Hawaii, but I haven't been on their site* for almost a year.

Of course, it is bound to be appealed by the Communists, but this was good to hear.

Terry, 230RN

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?action=refferals;refferedby=23
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:33:02 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
I don't know much, but I just read that California's 10 day waiting period has been spanked twice in court and they're still doing that, so how exactly is this going to work?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I don't know much, but I just read that California's 10 day waiting period has been spanked twice in court and they're still doing that, so how exactly is this going to work?

Also, and I might argue it's worse than the mag limit or the waiting period, is the "CA handgun list". Nothing has been done about that (though the pro-gun side constantly works on it), but it's basically just extortion in the name of safety, and IMO, a long term plan to incrementally remove most handguns from CA.

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Also, and I might argue it's worse than the mag limit or the waiting period, is the "CA handgun list". Nothing has been done about that (though the pro-gun side constantly works on it), but it's basically just extortion in the name of safety, and IMO, a long term plan to incrementally remove most handguns from CA.

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns

Oh, I knew about that one. I remember reading an article about how a lot of companies hate dealing with CA over that, since they have to get individual approval for each gun over stupid stuff like different finishes.

Anyway, I don't really see how this is any kind of win for the pro gun side if California is just ignoring court rulings on the subject. It will be a win when they actually get their state to comply with these court rulings.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
I don't think they can ignore this one. The ruling says that, "Defendant Attorney General Xavier Becerra, and his officers, agents, servants, employees, and attorneys, and those persons in active concert or participation with him, and those duly sworn state peace officers and federal law enforcement officers who gain knowledge of this injunction order,or know of the existence of this injunction order, are enjoined from enforcing California Penal Code section 32310 [the law]." That means they cannot enforce it, per court order. If any police officer does enforce it, it will open up that officer, his/her department, and the state AG to a slam dunk lawsuit for deprivation of rights under color of law. That's a federal offense.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
In general, since you're the OP, you can change it with the "Modify" button, just like as in the rest of your post.  It's pretty rare that a title is too long;  I don't think yours is.   IIRC, sometimes it takes a while for the correction to propagate throughout the entire thread.

Actually it is too long.  Oh well.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
Oh, I knew about that one. I remember reading an article about how a lot of companies hate dealing with CA over that, since they have to get individual approval for each gun over stupid stuff like different finishes.

... and the manufacturer has to pay a fee for each model certified.  So it's really just a shakedown by the state.