Author Topic: Federal judge rules California's 10-round magazine limit is unconstitutional  (Read 5342 times)

JN01

• friend
Judge Benitez:
This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
How long has it been in effect, and what does it say?

Most of it has been in effect since 1/1/2000.  The original legislation banned manufacturing, importing into California, selling, giving or lending normal-capacity magazines.  Possession remained legal.

A loophole in the wording still permitted buying and receiving such mags.  That was closed in 2014.

A ballot initiative in 2016 amended the section to prohibit possession, but that was never enforced due to an injunction.

Regarding what it says:  https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=32310.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
Courtesy of the good folks at Calguns, here is a list of vendors now willing to sell normal-capacity mags to California residents:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LP1NCp0MjBoeDp6tc6ddb2dKKIAdqxU0qubnEANW4dc/edit#gid=0

MechAg94

• friend
I saw a couple of emails from companies now shipping mags to Cali.  I wonder if this will create a short term buying spree?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
On budsgunshop.com

Unfortunately, we are still unable to sell high capacity magazines to our CA customers. The recent court ruling only blocked a 2016 law that would have made high capacity magazines already owned by CA residents illegal to possess or sell.

Correct or not?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
On budsgunshop.com

Correct or not?

IANAL, but I believe not correct.

The court ruling declared section 32310 in its entirety unconstitutional.  I posted a link to that section a few posts back.

Primary Arms, keepshooting.com, and grabagun.com are shipping, as are quite a few others.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
According to Facebook, several retailers are now reporting that their stocks of standard capacity mags for just about everything is depleted or nearly so. =D
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MechAg94

• friend
IANAL, but I believe not correct.

The court ruling declared section 32310 in its entirety unconstitutional.  I posted a link to that section a few posts back.

Primary Arms, keepshooting.com, and grabagun.com are shipping, as are quite a few others.

I saw an email from Gunmagwarehouse saying they would ship to Cali also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
On budsgunshop.com

Correct or not?

Probably not the interpretation of a lawyer, or if a lawyer, an excessively conservative one. 

However, I can certainly understand some businesses waiting a bit.  Both because they can raise prices during the "shortage" after other business stock is done, plus it gives a short time period to see if it shakes out different legally anyways.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
Just got an email from Brownells stating they will also ship to California. 

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
How many year's supply do you figure is flowing into California at the moment?

I figure about 30.  20 years of pent up demand, plus 10 years or so for "fear that they'll get banned again."

WLJ

• friends
Was just in my local gun store and the owner was pissed off because she couldn't found AR mags anywhere. Said all the distributors were cleaned out.  
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Just checked a couple of online vendors and they're cleaned out of most AR type mags over 10rds.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
Sorry about that.  Pent-up demand.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
To no one's surprise, California's attorney general has asked for a stay while he appeals the matter to the 9th Circuit.

Quote from: http://michellawyers.com/
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that Defendant Xavier Becerra, in his official capacity as the Attorney General of the State of California (“Defendant”), hereby does apply to this Court for an order, under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 62, staying the Judgment entered in this action on March 29, 2019 (Dkt. No. 88) pending appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.  Specifically, Defendant requests that the Court stay the Judgment which declares California Penal Code section 32310 unconstitutional and enjoined from enforcement to preserve the status quo pending appeal as it existed prior to entry
of the Judgment, whereby, during the pendency of the appeal, section 32310(a) and (b) will remain in effect and section 32310(c) and (d) will remain subject to the preliminary injunction issued on June 29, 2017 (Dkt. No. 28).   Defendant respectfully requests that this Court rule on this stay application by April 5, 2019.

MechAg94

• friend
I didn't notice mags out of stock, but I did notice mags that were previously on sale were no longer on sale.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
To no one's surprise, California's attorney general has asked for a stay while he appeals the matter to the 9th Circuit.

oh, they always take forever and ever to rule in favor of 2A - this however must be heard right away
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

T.O.M.

• friend
I stopped by LGS yesterday to pick up a couple of things I needed...cleaning supplies.  Owner said he's had several inquiries on his web page about selling/shipping mags to Cali.  He said he's going to wait a bit longer to see what happens before diving in.  Wants to avoid any legal issues.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

brimic

• friends
I noticed that PSA is out of stock on most standard capacity AR-15 and Glock Pmags. They still had Gen-1 Pmags left though...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=22838733

Was just on the phone with Brownells costumer service regarding an RMR glock 19 slide. She apologized for the long wait times and said it has been crazy with the magazine orders from CA.

She then says they have sold 350,000!!!! MAGAZINES!!!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hey, can somebody let me know what a "normal" price for 5.56 30 round Pmags should be? I'm assuming the prices just went up from demand, so when I get my first M4gery in a couple of weeks I'll know if I can buy a bunch of mags, or just get a few and wait for CA demand to drop, along with price.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
9 or 10 bucks.... usually. IIRC

bob

WLJ

• friends
9 or 10 bucks.... usually. IIRC

bob

I wish

Gen 2
Non-windowed: $11-14
Windowed: $13-15

Gen 3 add $2-3
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
I wish

Gen 2
Non-windowed: $11-14
Windowed: $13-15

Gen 3 add $2-3

I guess its been a while since I did one of those buy 10 for this price buys from Brownell's. I still have a bunch of them still in the plastic.

bob