Author Topic: Today's odd question  (Read 683 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Today's odd question
« on: August 25, 2022, 11:25:55 PM »
Blame this one on the Marrakech episode of Travel Man.

Isn't there a word that specifically describes a city or part of a city in the Mid-East/North Africa, with narrow and very confusing streets?

Or was that a dream I had?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Today's odd question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 06:51:22 AM »
A one-horse one-camel town?

The search term <town with narrow streets?> yields some interesting-looking hits but I haven't gone over them yet.

"Or was that a dream I had?" There's no accountin' fer what goes on in your head.  I have enough trouble with what goes on in my head.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 12:22:47 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 07:52:58 AM »
Isn't there a word that specifically describes a city or part of a city in the Mid-East/North Africa, with narrow and very confusing streets?

I'm positive there is and have seen it in text, but I can't for the life of me remember the term. IIRC, it was partially an "ancient tactical" thing as defense against invasion.

Edit: It doesn't give a name, but this article gives some background:

https://muslimheritage.com/introduction-to-the-islamic-city/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 08:08:26 AM »
Ghetto?

Barrio?

Favela (but that seems to be mostly Brazilian)?

I think there is a word such as you describe, and I'm drawing a blank as to exactly what that word is.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 09:01:59 AM »
Kasbah? The central part of a city, often walled, sometimes including a market - in the old days part of a defensive structure with intentionally narrow streets.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 09:03:50 AM »
Washington DC?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 09:14:56 AM »
Washington DC?

No, you're thinking of "swamp".
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 09:21:58 AM »
Medina?
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 10:01:21 AM »
Ghetto?

Barrio?

Favela (but that seems to be mostly Brazilian)?

I think there is a word such as you describe, and I'm drawing a blank as to exactly what that word is.

Again, I can't remember myself (and it's at the tip of my tongue and driving me crazy now), but I'm almost certain it's less of a label and more of an architectural / city design term like "radial", but kinda the opposite of that.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 10:24:01 AM »
Again, I can't remember myself (and it's at the tip of my tongue and driving me crazy now), but I'm almost certain it's less of a label and more of an architectural / city design term like "radial", but kinda the opposite of that.  :laugh:

Look up "medina quarter."  I found it by searching kasbah.  It is exactly what Perd is describing, although perhaps y'all are looking for the Arabic word for it.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 10:34:45 AM »
Look up "medina quarter."  I found it by searching kasbah.  It is exactly what Perd is describing, although perhaps y'all are looking for the Arabic word for it.

Maybe that's it. I could swear it was another word, but my mind isn't what it used to be.  :laugh:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 10:52:45 AM »
I don't think it's any of the words listed so far, although the definition for "medina" certainly fits.

I think I may have first encountered it in relation to a scene from one of the Bourne films. Can't recall if the word was used in the movie.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2022, 12:38:03 PM »
Are you thinking of the souk?

That really means marketplace, but I've seen it sort of used in the context you're asking about.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2022, 04:06:07 PM »
No, you're thinking of "swamp".

you spelled "shithole" wrong.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2022, 08:00:48 PM »
Bazaar? Middle eastern market street?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2022, 08:57:00 PM »