Author Topic: Who didn't see this coming...  (Read 2059 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Who didn't see this coming...
« on: August 19, 2008, 08:27:27 AM »
Venezuala intends to call for OPEC to cut crude output because prices are too low.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/Business/Oil_and_Gas;_ylt=AuwIZkKQIP9Q0ytcNgTJ4ua573QA

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Who didn't see this coming...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 09:14:42 AM »
This is why we need to drill like crazy here.  The only way to break a cartel is to flood the market with alternate sources of the same thing (or viable alternates that replace the need for the cartel's product).
Formerly sumpnz

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:27:51 AM »
yeah but we would have to drill ALOT to become oil independent AND be able supply enough to lower the market price.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:28:49 AM »
And it would take TEN YEARS!!!!!!  rolleyes
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 12:35:33 PM »
yeah but we would have to drill ALOT to become oil independent AND be able supply enough to lower the market price.

As if we can't?  rolleyes

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »
The only way to create enough surplus to make a difference is to drastically cut our imports and stop guzzling so much gas.  When the American people get sick of getting jerked around by the oil producers and are willing to personally step up and make the commitment, then we MIGHT see some changes.  Are we as a nation of wasters ready to make such a commitment?

Yeah right sad

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 12:56:20 PM »
The only way to create enough surplus to make a difference is to drastically cut our imports and stop guzzling so much gas.  When the American people get sick of getting jerked around by the oil producers and are willing to personally step up and make the commitment, then we MIGHT see some changes.  Are we as a nation of wasters ready to make such a commitment?

Yeah right sad
Make a commitment to reduce my gas usage?  Why on earth would I want to do that?

If y'all want to feel aggrieved and victimized by the oil producers, knock yourself out.  If you want to feel like every little blip and bump in the business cycle is cause for alarm, feel free.  If you want to worry and fret about things beyond your control, have at it.

Myself, I plan to enjoy my life to the best of my ability, and I won't let OPEC, the economy, the enviro-whackos, or anything else stop me. 

I need a new truck, my old Ranger is dying.  I plan on buying myself a new 4Runner, not some econo-midget-useless-deathtrap-battery car.  I want to drive a real, substantial, utilitarian, safe vehicle made out of 4,500 pounds of steel, and I think that 16 mpg is a small price to pay for that.

I don't waste gas, I put it to the best use I know how: enriching my life.  I don't plan to cut back on that any time soon.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 12:59:34 PM »
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Oh, I've got no problem with the development of new technologies to reduce our need for oil in the first place.  In fact I think it would be worthwhile to dedicate all the money the .gov gets from the leases on the OCS, ANWR, and the oil shale fields to fund R&D and/or X-Prize sorts of rewards for the development of alternates to oil based transportation infrastructures.  Whether that's a drop in replacement for gasoline, or something that replaces the ICE, or something else entirely I don't really care.  Just so long as it has a free-market based justification to exist.
Formerly sumpnz