Author Topic: WHO changes name of swine flu to protect pigs  (Read 2881 times)

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
WHO changes name of swine flu to protect pigs
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:03:40 PM »
No, this is not Jeopardy.
No, this has nothing to do with old rockers.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20090430/HEALTH/90430019/-1/news1802

WHO to stop using term 'swine flu' to protect pigs

BY FRANK JORDANS • Associated Press Writer • April 30, 2009

GENEVA (AP) — The World Health Organization announced Thursday it will would stop using the term "swine flu" to avoid confusion over the danger posed by pigs. The policy shift came a day after Egypt began slaughtering thousands of pigs in a misguided effort to prevent swine flu.
Advertisement

WHO spokesman Dick Thompson said the agriculture industry and the U.N. food agency had expressed concerns that the term "swine flu" was misleading consumers and needlessly causing countries to ban pork products and order the slaughter of pigs.

"Rather than calling this swine flu ... we're going to stick with the technical scientific name H1N1 influenza A," Thompson said.

Egypt began slaughtering its roughly 300,000 pigs Wednesday even though experts said swine flu is not linked to pigs and not spread by eating pork. Angry farmers protested the government degree.

In Paris, the World Organization for Animal Health said Thursday "there is no evidence of infection in pigs, nor of humans acquiring infection directly from pigs."

Killing pigs "will not help to guard against public or animal health risks" presented by the virus and "is inappropriate," the group said in a statement.

China, Russia, Ukraine and other nations have banned pork exports from Mexico and parts of the United States, blaming swine flu fears.

Most in the Muslim world consider pigs unclean animals and do not eat pork because of religious restrictions. The farmers in Egypt raise the pigs for consumption by the country's Christian minority.

WHO also reported the number of confirmed swine flu cases rose to 257 worldwide Thursday, with cases in Mexico rising to 97 from 26, with seven deaths. The WHO confirmed tally from the United States now stands at 109, with one death.

Other confirmed cases include 19 in Canada, 13 in Spain, eight in Britain, three each in Germany and New Zealand, two in Israel and one each in Austria, Switzerland and the Netherlands.

Thompson told reporters in Geneva that at least one of the Spanish cases involved a person who had not traveled to Mexico. Spanish officials said that was a man who apparently got the virus from his girlfriend, who recently returned from Mexico.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

crt360

• friend
Re: WHO changes name of swine flu to protect pigs
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 07:58:35 PM »
From "swine flu" to "hiney flu."  :D  Egyptians better watch their ass.
For entertainment purposes only.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 08:34:23 PM »
spanish flu
german measles
legionaries disease...

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 08:56:58 PM »
Thompson told reporters in Geneva that at least one of the Spanish cases involved a person who had not traveled to Mexico. Spanish officials said that was a man who apparently got the virus from his girlfriend, who recently returned from Mexico.

Was she a pig? *ducks shoe-

Egypt began slaughtering its roughly 300,000 pigs Wednesday even though experts said swine flu is not linked to pigs and not spread by eating pork. Angry farmers protested the government degree.

To what degree did they protest? Note to AP editor, spell check does not find correctly spelled and incorrectly used words. Editors do that.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:00:29 PM »
Although people did keep using the term 'Bird flu', H5N1 pretty quickly entered common parlance. Don't see why H1N1 won't do the same.

It seems there isn't a whole lot of purpose to slaughtering pigs in this instance and keeping them out of the foodchain. The misunderstanding isn't just limited to Egypt, I heard a pretty painful radio interview in which the vet had to keep explaining to the presenter that swine flu is not fatal to pigs, that they recover from it, that no they don't need slaughtering and yes the meat is safe to eat.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:39:15 PM »
To what degree did they protest?

Given the pig farmers in Egypt are Christians, there's virtually no chance protesting would do them half a speck of good.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 12:03:46 AM »
Wouldn't "Mexican Flu" be the obvious name? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 12:39:34 AM »
I wonder if the Egyptian .gov paid the farmers? /cynical laughter

Sound more like Egypt saw a chance to stick it to a disliked sub-group and jumped on it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 07:16:48 AM »
I think we should call it the "Napolitano Flu" in honor of our chief protector of US borders....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 08:01:47 AM »

WHO changes name?   
I change the name... 

to Joey ButaFLUco

Yes, I agree...

but no need to "offend" millions of (potential) voters.

:rolleyes:
7-11 was a part time job.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »
Hmmm . . .

What happens to an Islamist's afterlife if he expires from swine flu?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 01:37:15 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 01:42:15 PM »
He just gets one virgin....

Rofl, but the frog, he may have a secret...

Yes but if idiots are killing pigs over it you don't want to lead them to the obvious and unethical conclusion that "mexican flu" may bring.

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 04:07:36 PM »
Yes but if idiots are killing pigs over it you don't want to lead them to the obvious and unethical conclusion that "mexican flu" may bring.
Must . . . not . . . comment . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 10:52:55 PM »

So can we call it "Illegal Alien Flu" instead ??   :police: :police: :police:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.