Author Topic: Who can tell me about scanners?  (Read 1310 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Who can tell me about scanners?
« on: April 17, 2006, 05:06:44 AM »
I've never needed one before, but after finding my Grandparent's photo album during my basement clean out last week, it's time I get one.

I don't need too many bells & whistles, just easy to use, good reproduction, and good color handling abilities.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 05:19:46 AM »
One thing to consider is that scanners are much cheaper than they were a few years ago, you can get a decent one for under $125

I would also recommend getting a photo editor to go with the scanner. If you don't want to pay the price of Photo shop CS, you could get by just fine with Photo shop Elements.

I have been buying the HP Scanjet 3670 Scanner for people where I work and they seem to like it because you can scan photos, slides and negatives with it.

If you want more dpi but not concerned with slides or negatives then check out the HP Scanjet 4370 Photo Scanner

The specs are on www.hp.com

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 05:24:48 AM »
"I have been buying the HP Scanjet 3670 Scanner for people where I work and they seem to like it because you can scan photos, slides and negatives with it."

Scanning slides would be a BIG plus. I've got several boxes of slides, including pictures of me running around in Dr. Denton footies on Christmas Morning in 1966. I was going on 2 at the time. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 05:44:41 AM »
"If you want more dpi but not concerned with slides or negatives then check out the HP Scanjet 4370 Photo Scanner..."

Wait a second...

The HP site says that the 4370 will do slides and negatives...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 06:00:42 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
"If you want more dpi but not concerned with slides or negatives then check out the HP Scanjet 4370 Photo Scanner..."

Wait a second...

The HP site says that the 4370 will do slides and negatives...
Well poop the bed, looks like it does those, but with a separate device that comes with the scanner. I have a the previous model of that scanner and it does a fairer job of scanning slides than the 3670. The separate device is a attachment that is wired to the back of the scanner and you slide up to 3 slides into it and place on the glass of the scanner to scan positive (slides) or negative images. Scanning slides are just as time consuming as photos, maybe a little more.

I was just scanning the HP site with give you another options, I didn't read far enough down on the spec. Its Monday AM and I'm leaving at noon to hunt gobblers for the next few days, so my mind is elsewhere.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mfree

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 06:00:45 AM »
It was a lousy movie with one good shot. *evil grin*

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 06:31:24 AM »
Mike, why don't you try out my Canon scanner before you buy anything.  It does a good job on photographs.  It doesn't do slides worth a darn though.

That said, I haven't heard anything good about flatbed scanners and negatives.  If you're serious about negs/slides, get a dedicated scanner.  They're not cheap, but the results are worth it.

For basic photo editing, I like irfanview.  It's free and fast.

Only this guy's opinion, but it covers the technical details of scanning photos and slides: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/scanner.htm

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 07:00:12 AM »
Chris,

Thanks for the information and the link. My Mom has an HP scanner and it does a credible job, but it's a number of years old.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 11:37:18 AM »
nikon for slides

epson for prints

Consumer reports has a one pager on scanners this month
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 11:55:38 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Well, Scanners are these people that can read your mind and make it explode if you tick them off...

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 12:02:36 PM »
Democrats can make my head explode...

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 04:24:02 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 04:46:22 PM »
When I first started using scanners in 1985, they were $5,000 investments. Today, anything with a price tag over $250 will do an excellent job.

Is this the greatest country in the world, or what?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.