Author Topic: Who does metal work (machining)?  (Read 2059 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Who does metal work (machining)?
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »
I have what I think is a small machining job, but I don't have the tools to do it right myself.

I need to have a metal channel made for a blade to ride in. It would be a rectangle about 6" long and 3/4" wide. There would be a slot about 1/8" wide cut in the middle and running not quite the full length of the rectangle. The rectangle would need to have 90 degree sides along the long edges, about 1/8" high.

I'd need a second piece with the same slot, made a bit wider so that it would slide over the top of the first to create a box with a slot in the top and bottom.

One end would need to be closed completely. The other end would need to be partially closed, with an opening wide enough for the blade but not the additional metal on the left and right sides of the tang of the blade.

The steel itself doesn't need to be very thick. 19 gauge steel or maybe even 20 should be enough.

Is there anyone here with the skills and tools to do this?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Who does metal work (machining)?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:17:30 PM »
Bogie.
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:18:38 PM »
I can probably get it done. do you have a rough drawing so I can get a better feel for what you're looking for?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 01:32:57 PM »
I forgot about Bogie. Dogmush, I won't have the exact specs until I get some other pieces. I have the blade, but the blade and this channel are going inside a statue I'm having made, and I don't have that yet.

I'm just seeing if there's someone here who can do this. I'd try it, but I don't want to screw up the blade or, worse, the statue.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »
ahh the hidden self-defense sword.......
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 05:20:13 PM »
I can probably do it.  I have access to a mill and the needed tooling.  Bogie's better at machine work then I am, but I haven't seen him around here for awhile.

Either way, when you get the needed parts to do some specs, if you want me to give it a shot let me know.  I enjoy these kind of problems.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 05:39:07 PM »
Bogie has been on FB quite abit.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 07:19:19 PM »
Bogie's blog's, http://stickertramp.com/, domain name has expired.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 08:59:31 AM »
Could you make the box with sheet metal sides and a spacer/filler for the three sides?  It would be easier to make if it would work.  Or maybe I should say: if I understand the idea =|
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 09:45:22 AM »
I can do it at work, need some kind of napkin drawing. Material I don have unless you like stainless.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 11:47:50 AM »
griz, I'm not sure if you're understanding the idea because I'm not understanding what you mean by a filler. ;)

The sculptor just sent me photos of his second go-round. If the measurements are correct, I'll have him make whatever final adjustments are necessary, and then when I get it I'll be able to draw what I'm looking for with exact spec's.

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »
The spacer would be 1/8 inch thick, to provide the channel, and be cut such that it would be the three sides of the slot.  It would be sandwiched by the outer solid plates.  Easy to make with a bandsaw instead of a milling machine.  Sorry if I am misunderstanding the desired piece.  I don't have a way to scan a simple drawing.  If it's still not clear, I can try taking a picture of a drawing and posting that.  But it will not be able to do that till later tonight.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 02:36:32 PM »
Can you post a sketch  of the general idea, and rough dims?  So as to get a better picture?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 06:19:51 PM »
I think I have the basic idea.  He needs two pieces of metal, that when nested together make a rectangle with a space for a blade (and spring?) to move back and forth inside.  I'm thinking I could know one out of billet aluminium pretty easy (I even have a spare chunk), I'd just like a rough visual to see.  Dick, when you have measurements through up a drawing.  (Or fake one just to show us what you mean).

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 06:44:34 PM »
Here's a drawing of the box, showing the walls, the base and the cut out slot.

The sculptor sent photos today, and I'm not sure if there's going to be enough space from side to side for a two-piece box. It may be that I'll have to have a flat piece made with a slot cut in it that will attach to the top of the box.

I think I need something will walls because I'll have a plunger or something like that going through the wall or base of the box to hold the blade in place with friction, and then when the blade is extended, to lock the blade into place.

I'm thinking that 22 gauge steel would be sufficient.

The two little sections of wall on the front are to act as stops where extra pieces of metal on the left and right sides of the tang of the blade would come to rest when the blade is extended. The slots in the bottom box and the top box (or flat piece) would be for pieces of metal on the top and bottom of the tang, and would also stop the blade when it's extended. The extra pieces of metal riding in the slots and the closed box would serve to keep blade movement to a minimum when the blade is extended.

The blue piece in the diagram below would hold the retracted blade in place by friction. When the button is pressed, the blue piece moves out of the way, allowing the blade to slide out along its tracks. When it's extended the blue piece is dropped back down (or inserted from the side) behind the slot in the tang, holding the blade open.

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 08:12:36 AM »
Yep, I misunderstood.  I was thinking what you called the slot was for the blade, so please just ignore what I was suggesting.  Sorry, good luck.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 10:16:01 AM »
22 ga is only about 25 thou thick.

I think this would be very difficult to make with conventional milling - looks like a good canidate for a sheet metal stamping.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »
Sheet metal stamping is kinda labor intensive for a one-off.  I'm thinking some metal, a box and pan break and a little love from my TIG could knock that out without too much trouble.  Just bend it up and weld the corners, run it throug a band saw to get close to final height, then mill it even to final height, flip it and mill a slot.  Easy peasy.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 10:37:46 AM »
What is a "pan break"?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 11:05:09 AM »
What is a "pan break"?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/48-Pan-Box-Brake-16-Gauge/G5769

A "Box and Pan Brake" Is a specialized tool for bending flat sheet metal into boxes and pans.  It has removable "fingers" so that after you bend the first two sides you can adjust the length bending surface and leave a void for the bent sides to fit in while bending the last two sides, and lets you make crisp, straight bends. 

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 12:17:30 PM »
http://www.grizzly.com/products/48-Pan-Box-Brake-16-Gauge/G5769

A "Box and Pan Brake" Is a specialized tool for bending flat sheet metal into boxes and pans.  It has removable "fingers" so that after you bend the first two sides you can adjust the length bending surface and leave a void for the bent sides to fit in while bending the last two sides, and lets you make crisp, straight bends. 

I got damn good with one of those back when I worked in the shop.  Handy device.  That and a right-angle notching tool and a lot of careful measurement and you can make some really cool stuff.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage