Author Topic: Who decided Will Ferrell was funny?  (Read 2751 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Who decided Will Ferrell was funny?
« on: March 28, 2007, 01:39:08 PM »
I've seen a few of his movies and I just watched a promo deal for "Blades of Glory".
I keep hearing "He is soooo funny!" and I've given him plenty of opportunity to be so but, I'm beginning to think he really belongs in my other thread entitled
Fingernails on a chalkboard
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Who decided Will Ferrell was funny?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 01:40:38 PM »
Definite fan.  Have you seen Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy ? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 01:45:40 PM »
I think he's funny in very, very small doses but after that he's just annoying. Kinda like fistful.  grin

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 02:22:21 PM »
He needs good writers.

Anchorman was funny for about the first 3/4ths.
I promise not to duck.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 03:24:01 PM »
 I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 04:04:51 PM »
I agree.  I should be reimbursed for suffering through the whole 30 minutes I watched of that Talladega Nights POS.   If that's comedy they should just set up a camera at the local mental health hospital...they'd make millions.  Unfortunately,
they probably would make millions...something is just wrong with people these days.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 06:44:33 PM »
Gee, and here I thought I was the only one who thought he was a boring, unfunny, annoying no talent. rolleyes
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 06:51:11 PM »
It appears that Fistful of Bad Actors is one of the three people who like him. grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 07:03:17 PM »
I think he's funny in very, very small doses but after that he's just annoying. Kinda like fistful.

Or Jim Carrey.  undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 07:19:02 PM »
You don't hit a home run every time, but Jim Carey has done some great stuff and is very talented.

His misses certainly must include Me, Myself and Irene, (such poor taste) and the Ace Ventura stuff.

Will Farrell is just another ho-hum also-ran.  The first 20 years of SNL was great.  Since then, it's just plain sucked, and the actors have become less and less talented.  Farrell and Huh? who did Night at the Roxbury? ...have just jumped on the latest comedic formula bandwagon:  Do a reasonably popular comedy skit, IMMEDIATELY parlay it into a big-screen bowel movement, and cash the "paltry" $1.4 mil. payday for your future financial security.

HoHum.  Wish I were so un-talented.  undecided cool

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 07:24:29 PM »
Fig, Ferrel has moved beyond the SNL Films genre.  His recent films have nothing to do with SNL skits so far as I'm aware. 

He makes me laugh.  I don't know if that's talent or if we just have a similar sense of humor.  And I don't care.  If you don't think he's funny, that's just you.  Maybe you like George Carlin, Robin Williams and Steve Martin.  I don't. 

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 07:45:41 PM »
Take a look at the director's cut of "Old School". Now that is funny. Anchorman was good too.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 05:58:38 AM »
The promos for Will Ferrell's films convinced me to avoid them.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 07:13:06 AM »
Who decided Sergeant Bob had any idea about what was funny or who was talented? 

Tongue

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 07:27:42 AM »
Who decided Will Ferrell was funny?
I guess it was Fistful! grin
Who decided Sergeant Bob had any idea about what was funny or who was talented? 

Tongue
[irony]Now thats funny right there![/irony] grin

Edited to make it ironic

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 10:28:14 AM »
Even better,

Who told Christian Trejbal that he was funny?

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/trejbal/wb/wb/xp-110226

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 10:31:53 AM »
Maybe the military will order some of those plates for the pimped-out cars teenagers for to associate with military service, as opposed to dying in Iraq.

Who decided he could be let off the editorial leash?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 10:39:13 AM »
That's easy, Carebear.

The same folks who let him (initially) publish the names and addresses of all the concealed-carry permit holders in the State of Virginia.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 11:53:42 AM »
A lot of guys like Ferrel are funny in the right movie or circumstances.  The Ron Burgundy movie was funny in a really messed up way.  Sometimes you just have to drink several beers before watching, sometimes they just suck.  I like Old School.  With a good cast of other actors, Ferrel can do a good movie I guess.

Ace Ventura was a damn funny movie.  Ace Ventura II was just a compilation of the worst sound bites from the first one.  Also, Courtney Cox looked really good in that first movie.  Smiley

"Hey Ace, you got any more gum?"
"No, and I'll thank you to stay out of my personal business!"
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 12:24:30 PM »
Undoubtedly someone with the IQ of a carrot...

But then both Adam Sandler and Jim Carey have grown from less than funny moronic clowns to failry accomplished and quite competent actors - Sandler in particular has done so. Maybe there's hope for Ferrell.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 12:59:46 PM »
I can't stand Ferrell or Sandler or Carey.  I haven't yet seen a movie by any of them that was worth 2 hours of my life.  Crass and stupid can be really funny if it's done well, but in the case of these three underachievers it's just crass and stupid. 

Where's John Belushi when you need him?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 01:37:53 PM »

Where's John Belushi when you need him?

Dead.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 02:50:20 PM »
They killed Jonh Belushi? Those BASTARDS!!  smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Beren

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 03:32:32 PM »
I like Will Ferrell, but it depends on the writers.  He's able to deliver effectively and has decent presence.

"Come again? You know I don't speak Spanish. In English, please. What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? I'm not even mad, that's amazing."

"Todd! Are you not aware that I get farty and bloated with a foamy latte!? "

Alex Trebek : French Stewart? The sound a dog makes.
French Stewart : Um... Who is John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band, thank you very much. I'll take Animal Sounds for 800.
Alex Trebek : No. Good lord. We would've accepted "bow wow" or "ruff."
Sean Connery : Oh, rough. Just the way your mother likes it, eh Trebek?

Willenholly : Oh my God. I'm paralyzed! That monkey shot me in the ass and paralyzed me! Oh sweet irony!

Okay, I'm done.   laugh

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 04:04:18 PM »
Ferrell, Carey, and Sandler are actors sure to keep me away from a movie.

Carey:
Robin Williams, just 20 years younger.  RW/JC can only play two characters: manic and depressive.  Manic is OK the first 3 or 4 times you see it.  Then it is just a re-hash of 30 year old RW material.  Depressive is wrist-slashing time.  Keep the suicide hotline on speed dial.

Sandler:
The only thing he has done that was not a complete waste of time was The Wedding Signer.  Everything else can be tossed int othe river.

Ferrell:
Unfunny, no-talent hack.  'nuff said.

------

John Belushi, John Candy, and Sam Kinison.  "Talent on loan from God," as Rush would say...that got called in by the lender.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton