Author Topic: A decline in politeness here in APS...just my perception?  (Read 11148 times)

The Annoyed Man

A decline in politeness here in APS...just my perception?
« on: April 19, 2008, 12:34:03 PM »
I was about to reply to another thread with

"Ah, well, so much for the armed, POLITE, society."

then decided not to when I realized that it was the fourth or fifth time in recent weeks that I have nearly posted, then declined to post,  the same comment in response to other threads.

Is anyone else getting a sense that the tone of posts is deteriorating?

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: A decline in politeness here in APS...just my perception?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »
Anywhere there is political discussion, politeness cannot be also.

And there are several who cannot let a "good opportunity" pass to turn a thread, any thread, into a political discussion.

I remember when this board first started, and how we were supposed to be policing ourselves...
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 01:12:54 PM »
So I should surrender to the inevitable?  My friend's snarky references to "societal entropy" are on the mark?

BTW, in nearly posting but ultimately declining, I am policing myself.  Where are the rest of the gang?

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 02:02:20 PM »
So I should surrender to the inevitable?  My friend's snarky references to "societal entropy" are on the mark?
Depends on the method of surrender; and as far as social entropy goes, I'd have to agree.
BTW, in nearly posting but ultimately declining, I am policing myself.  Where are the rest of the gang?
Chest-thumping and fighting over whose nonsensical argument wins more.  There are several times I've written up a brilliant response, about two paragraphs long, and then just hit "back" because I somehow knew it wouldn't be read.  Other times, I've posted it, and it was short and sweet, but nobody bothered reading it.  I've just given up on the political forum altogether.

This is something that's really been bugging me about the internet.  Every forum, including THR and APS, is full of two-sided arguments that just go back and forth until the cows come home and the sun's risen the next day.  YouTube comments are a fine example of this.  When both sides think know they're right and the other's wrong, bickering continues until either a mod locks the thread or they're unable to check the thread for longer than a week.  Don't forget to factor in the whole "last word" psychosis that everyone seems to have, too.

The problem is, people can't be trusted to police themselves, because the few who can't do it will ruin everything for everyone else.  The few moderators are slow to banning a poster, because they're naievely good people and believe that their warnings will talk some sense into the offending member.  It rarely works.  And if they do ban someone, they fear retribution in some form or another.  Remember the DDoS attacks we had a while back?

In the end, there's no way to win.  People these days weren't raised right.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 02:19:30 PM »
Political tends to descend into free-for-all with alarming regularity, but seems that's the norm anytime politics hits the table.  By definition politics is a belief-driven issue and, as we all know, beliefs can be the root cause of the darndest things.  Plus, there are some folks who just get off on stirring the pot, politically speaking.

That's why I don't hang out in Political any more.  There are people who enjoy stuff like that.  I'm not one of them.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 03:04:38 PM »

Yes.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 03:15:06 PM »
Use the "report post" function.  Sometimes we overlook problems because they don't stand out as such in our eyes.  If we know someone else is bothered, we bet the opportunity to see it through someone else's eyes.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 06:13:49 PM »
That's why I don't hang out in Political any more.

Me too.  For one thing, I already know that I'm right and the people that disagree with me are obviously just stupid.  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 08:25:24 PM »

Yes.

That's just because you're an overly-sensitive pansy-type, Disk.   grin

-BP (joking, for the tongue-in-cheek-impaired - I'd never really call Disk a pansy; he knows where I live)
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 08:29:36 PM »
That's why I don't hang out in Political any more.

Me too.  For one thing, I already know that I'm right and the people that disagree with me are obviously just stupid.  grin
You are almost right, except for the fact that I'm always right, and you are always wrong and stupid grin.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 08:30:38 PM »
But he IS a pansy.  And so are all you losers whining about a decline in politeness.  I don't see a problem. 

(This has been a test of the sarcasm monitoring system.  Had this been an actual breach of couth, RevDisk's mother and ethnic background would have been insulted, and his low IQ referenced.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 11:19:24 PM »
Everyone here has forgotten the real issue:  It's Fistful's fault.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 03:45:55 AM »
Use the "report post" function.  Sometimes we overlook problems because they don't stand out as such in our eyes.  If we know someone else is bothered, we bet the opportunity to see it through someone else's eyes.

Chris

Its more fun to punch the report post button and insult Irwin!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 06:58:15 AM »
P-O-L-I-T-E.  It seems that many here can only get to P-O, and take it from there.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 07:31:08 AM »
Look, sparky, you spell polite your way, I'll spell it mine.  You dum-dum-head.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 07:37:04 AM »
Mtnbkr hit the nail on the head.  Unlike Fistful, we can't be everywhere in the forum at the same time, so (gasp) we don't see threads turning sour without a little help via the report post button. That's why it's there.  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 09:15:18 AM »

So where is the "Report Post" button on this site? I know on systems using vBulletin (THR) it's the triangular icon with the exclamation mark in it. Where is it on sites using this forum software?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 09:55:02 AM »
Bottom right corner of every single post.   
↓                                 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 10:30:45 AM »
But Viking - what if I happen to agree with you Huh?

Does that make us both right or both stupid grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 10:39:45 AM »
But Viking - what if I happen to agree with you Huh?

Does that make us both right or both stupid grin
Good question. Must be zen or somesuch? laugh

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 01:11:09 PM »
Even if you're both right you're still both stupid..  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 01:27:52 PM »
Tempers get high on occasion, but it hasn't deteriorated to anything near what I've seen on other boards.

You have to be careful to not confuse dissent with impoliteness.

Battles were still fought on the high roads...

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 04:32:02 PM »

Yes.

That's just because you're an overly-sensitive pansy-type, Disk.   grin

-BP (joking, for the tongue-in-cheek-impaired - I'd never really call Disk a pansy; he knows where I live)

I am SO going to write an ansty LiveJournel post about you being a meany!  Then go cry into my pillow and listen to emo music.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 05:07:07 PM »
*Cues up Linkin park: Crawling*
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 10:46:34 PM »
*Adds "Strata - Night Falls" after Phphor's song*
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams