Author Topic: Texas - another place dropped from the list of places to visit  (Read 11053 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Texas - another place dropped from the list of places to visit
« on: September 12, 2012, 05:59:37 AM »
This has got to stop!  Pretty soon there will be nowhere safe to go visit.

stay safe.

http://tinyurl.com/9dnkrbz

While biologists may be rejoicing over the recent discovery of a rare spider that was thought to be extinct, not everyone is elated -- particularly commuters around San Antonio, Texas.

Workers found the Braken Bat Cave Meshweaver (Cicurina venii) spider, which hasn't been seen in three decades, in the middle of a $15.1 million highway construction project in northwestern San Antonio. The eyeless arachnid is on the endangered species list—since construction would disrupt the spider's natural habitat, the project has been halted for the foreseeable future.

Jean Krejca, a biologist and President of Zara Environmental who was consulting on the project, made the extraordinary discovery after a downpour of rain revealed a 6-foot deep spider hole. After dissecting the spider, a taxonomist later confirmed that the distinct-looking arachnid was, in fact, the Meshweaver, named for its pattern of webbing.

The Meshweaver was placed on the federal endangered species list in 2000, along with eight other spiders found only in the Texas county. George Veni first identified the spider in 1980 in a location five miles away from the construction site.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
Re: Texas - another place dropped from the list of places to visit
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:53:48 AM »
Like I'm going to click that link. Puh-lease.

I knew there was something I didn't like about San Antonio. Liberals who would put a bug that was already thought to be extinct (and yet in the 30 years since anyone has seen one, the world hasn't ended, so clearly we can live without it) ahead of a $15 million dollar road project - and IIRC, the roads in San Antonio need all the help they can get. Ridiculous.

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
6 foot deep spider hole?

Styrofoam, gasoline, stir well.  Pour and ignite.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 10:52:54 AM »
Funny, it was the Texans in Texas that kept me from visiting. 

Chris

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »
Anyone that can't read the context of "Dissected" and is afraid of a dead spider needs to stay out of Texas anyway.  There are other things there that might scare you....a live bunny or something.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »
Pave the rainforest caves.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 11:27:34 AM »
Since I have only a few spots in my yard that turn brown, I have been spot-watering those areas to save water keeping my grass green. To reduce evaporation losses, I go out after dark with a flashlight to set my little sprinklers.

So I was out in my yard in bare feet shining my flashlight and saw the yard looked like it was wet, because of all the little points of light reflecting back. I was confused until I realized it was thousands of wolf spiders all sitting on top of the grass, and the little points of light were their beady little eyes. There was probably at least 1 per square foot. I don't know why they like my yard so much.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 06:20:56 PM »

Since I have only a few spots in my yard that turn brown, I have been spot-watering those areas to save water keeping my grass green. To reduce evaporation losses, I go out after dark with a flashlight to set my little sprinklers.

So I was out in my yard in bare feet shining my flashlight and saw the yard looked like it was wet, because of all the little points of light reflecting back. I was confused until I realized it was thousands of wolf spiders all sitting on top of the grass, and the little points of light were their beady little eyes. There was probably at least 1 per square foot. I don't know why they like my yard so much.

Please post close-up pix.

Use Spoiler wrap.

I live in an area where this phenomenon is possible.  Need to know what it looks like.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 06:21:42 PM »
I'm confused.

VA has crossed Tejas off the list of places to visit because of the dime-sized, blind spider that dig 6 foot holes or the flaming libtard, enviro-wackos that halted a road construction project?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »
VA has crossed Tejas off the list of places to visit because of the dime-sized, blind spider that dig 6 foot holes or the flaming libtard, enviro-wackos that halted a road construction project?

Precisely!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »
I don't know why they like my yard so much.

It's your bare feet that they like  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »
Well I think it pretty cool they found an animal that was thought to have been extinct.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 09:26:40 PM »
Well I think it pretty cool they found an animal that was thought to have been extinct.

Yeah, I remember twenty-something years ago there was some plant in Utah that was thought to be virtually extinct, and then someone found a whole field of it growing right across the road from the state environmental office  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 09:29:44 PM »
Jean Krejca, a biologist and President of Zara Environmental who was consulting on the project, made the extraordinary discovery after a downpour of rain revealed a 6-foot deep spider hole. After dissecting the spider, a taxonomist later confirmed that the distinct-looking arachnid was, in fact, the Meshweaver, named for its pattern of webbing.

Now it's extinct!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 10:14:44 PM »
the Meshweaver, named for its pattern of webbing

Radiant!  :lol:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 11:27:54 PM »
Texas is a big place.  I hadn't even heard of this.  300+ miles away at least.

However, since the endangered species act is a federal law, there must be 49 states that you dont visit anymore.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »

To bad it wasn't something more interesting than a spider. [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 12:05:39 AM »
Now THAT would be something to talk about!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 06:16:01 AM »
What puzzles me is that when the construction crews opened up the hole, someone apparently thought to call the Federal Spider Cops instead of getting a can of Raid and dealing with the problem the way any rational person would.

And with a $16,000,000,000,000+ national debt, it's rather upsetting to know that we're spending money on Federal Spider Cops.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »
What puzzles me is that when the construction crews opened up the hole, someone apparently thought to call the Federal Spider Cops instead of getting a can of Raid and dealing with the problem the way any rational person would.

And with a $16,000,000,000,000+ national debt, it's rather upsetting to know that we're spending money on Federal Spider Cops.  :mad:

Maybe you its just a blind spider but what if the next protected species is a bug that in 20 years science discovers it secretes a chemical that cures certain cancers?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »
Maybe you its just a blind spider but what if the next protected species is a bug that in 20 years science discovers it secretes a chemical that cures certain cancers?

No juju in sky flower.

Sky flower home for bugs.

:lol:

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »

Does this ever happen outside of 1970s made-for-TV-movies? [popcorn] [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »
Does this ever happen outside of 1970s made-for-TV-movies? [popcorn] [tinfoil]

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 07:53:24 PM »
Or any movie at all? ? :facepalm:

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 11:57:57 PM »
If a spider has ever saved mankind from any freakin' thing, I'll wear Monkeyleg's moccasins.

Yeah, I see y'all scurrying to research the topic. Let me just say, the Horseshoe Crab doesn't count.