Author Topic: Simplest "rocket stove" ever  (Read 5629 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Simplest "rocket stove" ever
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:37:06 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmDYUrVHPWc

I've never seen those 'H' blocks before, OTOH I haven't really looked.
"It's good, though..."

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Simplest "rocket stove" ever
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:26:26 AM »
simple design.     i'm surprised that the cement blocks hold up so well to heat.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »
Maybe most of the heat goes *up*, and the draft keeps the blocks cool enough.
"It's good, though..."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:38:55 PM »
Make sure the concrete or cinder block is very dry. It's porous, and can crack/explode if enough steam vapor builds up.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 03:29:36 PM »
Doesn't fire or high heat eventually degrade concrete, driving of the hydrates in the matrix or somesuch thing?

Or maybe not, since just about every fireplace on the planet is held together with it... (shrug)
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 03:46:24 PM »
Shoot, I don't know.  With all the junk they put in concrete to stabilize it, fast-cure it, de-grongilize it, fordilnok it, etc., I'd hate to think of what might be vaporizing in the heat and flames and ending up in my  chow.

I could be wrong, though.  Been wrong before.  Or so they say.

Terry, 230RN

ETA:  Dammit, AJ DUal beat me to it with a similar comment, but about its degradation under heat. 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »
Doesn't fire or high heat eventually degrade concrete, driving of the hydrates in the matrix or somesuch thing?

Or maybe not, since just about every fireplace on the planet is held together with it... (shrug)

Yes, no.

Refractory cement is NOT portland cement. Portland cement is used in general construction, and is not fire proof. It is fire resistant. Refractory cement uses different materials.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 09:07:01 AM »
So where can I get cinder blocks (generic term) made from refractory cement?  As in "where can I swipe them from a construction site?" because nobody that I know has ever bought cinder blocks unless they were themselves doing some sort of construction.  (At which time I may or may not have swiped a block or so.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 09:42:01 AM »
I had a fire pit made out of concrete blocks at the house where I grew up.

It's where I cast bullets (when I did that), we used it to boil BIG pots of water when we blanched and froze corn and other vegetables, we cooked over it.

It was used a LOT over the 10 or so years it was there, including more than a few very large and very hot fires.

The blocks were still in good condition when my parents moved from that house in 1999.

I don't think you're going to really need to worry about those block degrading quickly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »
 Cocrete, plaster & the like degrade quicky @ 14- 1600 F. slowly at lower temps. Fire clay bricks plus an air space protect the red clay brick or cement block of a fireplce.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 10:07:11 AM »
If they do degrade, you'll just have to pay 98 cents each for new ones  :laugh:  ...or use clay chimney liner next time.  Probably only one or two blocks will really be exposed to high heat, and it won't be *that* high a temperature.

As far as the funky double-H block goes, instead I think I'll just cut one end off a regular cinder block using my little angle grinder w/ a diamond cutoff blade.
"It's good, though..."

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 10:20:06 AM »
The "H" blocks btw are for the coloumns in block fences or where you have a rebar & don't wan't/ can't lift the block over the end.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 10:34:15 AM »
I don't know whether it's really the case anymore, but there used to be a very definite difference between a concrete block and a cinderblock. A cinderblock was more a a lightweight, light duty block made from concrete mixed with coal cinders obtained from industrial power plants and the like.

I think the same concept is still available, just using different lightweight aggregates.

Concrete blocks were a LOT stronger, a lot denser, and a lot heavier.

You'd often see cinderblocks used for above grade construction like garages, while the denser, stronger (and more expensive) concrete blocks were used in house foundations.

I don't think a cinderblock would stand up to rocket stove use nearly as well as a concrete block.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »
They haven't made "cinder" (coal plant residue) blocks since the 60's.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 04:40:27 PM »
Do y'all think this would work okay for smelting lead?  Next weekend I go clean the local bullet trap, and I haven't quite finished melting-down all the lead from last year's haul.  I need something bigger than the hotplate-and-Revereware pot setup I'm using now.  (it works great, just too slow)  I have a Freon tank to cut in half for the crucible.

Yeah, I know about turkey fryers, but what's the fun in that?  Propane is expensive and hard to find this year; sticks and trash are not.

I probably shouldn't set it up on the wooden deck, JIC the block break under the heat and weight...
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 06:15:41 PM »
Roofing torch from harbor freight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 09:25:19 PM »
Regarding cinder blocks, I made a 8' diameter ring with them last year. Then proceeded to spend the summer burning a old barn piece by piece in that cinder block ring. We had flamees 12' tall at times. Plenty of times you could not get within 10' of the fire its self it was so hot. We just kept chucking barn parts in there.
By time the barn was gone those cinder blocks were, every one, cracked in many pieces. More than half of them had started crumbling to dust.

I wouldn't use them for a long term stove.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 10:35:28 PM »
Do y'all think this would work okay for smelting lead?  Next weekend I go clean the local bullet trap, and I haven't quite finished melting-down all the lead from last year's haul.  I need something bigger than the hotplate-and-Revereware pot setup I'm using now.  (it works great, just too slow)  I have a Freon tank to cut in half for the crucible.

Yeah, I know about turkey fryers, but what's the fun in that?  Propane is expensive and hard to find this year; sticks and trash are not.

I probably shouldn't set it up on the wooden deck, JIC the block break under the heat and weight...

Setup out in the dirt it should be fine to melt lead.  The only problem you may have is temp control.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 10:56:17 PM »
Regarding cinder blocks, I made a 8' diameter ring with them last year. Then proceeded to spend the summer burning a old barn piece by piece in that cinder block ring. We had flamees 12' tall at times. Plenty of times you could not get within 10' of the fire its self it was so hot. We just kept chucking barn parts in there.
By time the barn was gone those cinder blocks were, every one, cracked in many pieces. More than half of them had started crumbling to dust.

I wouldn't use them for a long term stove.

We had a fire pit like that back home.
Best thing we burned was a VW transmission case. 
Ever wonder what 20lbs of magnesium looks like when it burns?
Well, first it melts, and its little rivers of molten silver running out, which is pretty so you look at it with your dark adapted eyes.
Then it ignites.
The result you can probably see by the retinal burns in my eyes and the shadows we probably left permanently on buildings 100m away.
"The light of god" we called it...of course, I later figured it was roughly 150-200 KILOWATTS of light.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 08:51:03 AM »
And the fire dept can't put it out with water. Or so I hear

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 08:55:09 AM »
And the fire dept can't put it out with water. Or so I hear

When you use water on a magnesium fire this is what happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUgFzCjsRzE

You can put it out with water, but it's not easy.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t117478/

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:04:23 AM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »

Only if it's Neo fire. Every other fire which has gone against the hydrates has died.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 02:45:54 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 03:07:17 PM »
We had a fire pit like that back home.
Best thing we burned was a VW transmission case. 
Ever wonder what 20lbs of magnesium looks like when it burns?
Well, first it melts, and its little rivers of molten silver running out, which is pretty so you look at it with your dark adapted eyes.
Then it ignites.
The result you can probably see by the retinal burns in my eyes and the shadows we probably left permanently on buildings 100m away.
"The light of god" we called it...of course, I later figured it was roughly 150-200 KILOWATTS of light.

I can probably put my hands on a few hundred pounds of scrap Mg castings. Wonder if a little campfire can be coordinated with an ISS flyover. I live in a normally pretty dark spot of the map.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 03:21:33 PM »
I can probably put my hands on a few hundred pounds of scrap Mg castings. Wonder if a little campfire can be coordinated with an ISS flyover. I live in a normally pretty dark spot of the map.

Hahaha, awesome.