Author Topic: Lost, Buried, Burned: Oklahoma's Rape Kit Scandal  (Read 837 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Lost, Buried, Burned: Oklahoma's Rape Kit Scandal
« on: February 14, 2019, 10:31:57 AM »
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/political_commentary/commentary_by_michelle_malkin/lost_buried_burned_oklahoma_s_rape_kit_scandal
https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/michelle-malkin/michelle-malkin-lost-buried-burned-oklahomas-rape-kit-scandal

An estimated 225,000 rape kits have gone unprocessed across the country; more than 7,200 have been neglected in Oklahoma. Last month, a woman who reported an Oklahoma City sexual assault to police back in 2011 discovered that her rape kit had gathered dust on a shelf in Tulsa's police department for seven years -- after the Oklahoma County district attorney had informed her he was dropping the case because no rape kit existed.

Consider Rayshun Mullins, who petitioned the state of Oklahoma three times for post-conviction testing of DNA evidence used against him in 2009. (The Sooner State was last in the nation to adopt a post-conviction DNA testing statute in 2013.) Three times he was denied. Why? Shockingly, dozens and dozens of crucial forensic items in Mullins' case have been destroyed or "lost."

The thread on asset forfeiture reminded me of this story I saw.  Oklahoma law enforcement has a lot of problems. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
Re: Lost, Buried, Burned: Oklahoma's Rape Kit Scandal
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 11:37:44 AM »
I remember hearing a few years back that WI had a similar issue and backlog of forensics testing, and that the state crime lag was either corrupt or incompetent, or both.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 03:53:40 PM »
Sounds like a job that would be good for someone like the FBI if they cared to do it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 03:43:27 PM »
Sounds like a job that would be good for someone like the FBI if they cared to do it. 

They're way too busydigging up dirt on politicritters.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 03:56:47 PM »

The FBI lab hasn't been exactly squeaky clean of late, either.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 04:36:37 PM »
They're way too busydigging up dirt on politicritters.

And by "digging up" you mean fabricating...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 11:27:03 AM »
And by "digging up" you mean fabricating...

How else will they be able to organize a coup d'etat?
Formerly sumpnz

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 08:56:08 PM »
How else will they be able to organize a coup d'etat?

Call in the Russians?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds