Author Topic: GPS recomendations  (Read 652 times)

client32

• friend
GPS recomendations
« on: October 18, 2006, 05:29:52 PM »
I would like to get the best for my money.  Only constraint is must be under $200 total (shipping/tax).

I have been looking at the Garmin Rino 120.  I like the idea of the radio/GPS combination, but by no means is that required.

Thanks.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
GPS recomendations
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »
The ones with the built in radio eat batteries like a kid eats gummie bears. Avoid them.

For a good one in the under $200 buck category look at the eTrex series of GPS

esheato

• friend
GPS recomendations
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 12:00:26 PM »
I've owned a few Garmins and it is what I would recommend.

Not sure about models in that price range, but the eTrex in general have great reputations.

Ed

grislyatoms

• friends
GPS recomendations
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 12:05:13 PM »
I use a Garmin eTrex for all kinds of stuff. No problems, and it was even dropped in water once. Good product for just over one Benjamin Franklin.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

mgdavis

• friend
GPS recomendations
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 04:42:05 PM »
I've got an eTrex Vista CX. I like it quite a bit. My only gripe is the lack of an external antenna jack. That particular one is a bit pricy, but one of the less-optioned ones should serve you well.
(edited for spelling)

zahc

• friend
GPS recomendations
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 07:26:36 PM »
What's the cheapest thing you can get nowadays? I just want something for a skateboard speedometer. I figure they are down well below 100 these days.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine