Author Topic: Question for car gurus...  (Read 1674 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Question for car gurus...
« on: October 20, 2006, 03:34:47 AM »
The mighty 1990 Acclaim has developed a miss for the first say 2 minutes or so upon first startup of the day. It starts and runs fine with maybe an occasional sputter once it starts hitting on all 4. I just had the EGR, fuel pump and filter replaced. I don't know if any of that has anything to do with it. It was running great for a while afterwards. This just started. I DID just pull a friggin squirrel's nest out of the air cleaner box though. But it was running ok for a while after that too. Any thoughts?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 04:06:35 AM »
Start with the simple stuff.  IOW, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor.  It's cheaper just to replace all of those than take the car in for diagnosis and scope time.

Another cause might be a fouled injector or more.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 04:15:02 AM »
Yea, actually it's probably time for that anyhow. It could be a bad distributor cap/moisture. Sometimes it's right in front of you and you just can't see it!

mfree

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 04:52:47 AM »
Open the distributor, take the rotor off, and remove the hell effect sensor (big black plate, two screws).

Look at the shutter wheel underneath. If it's coming loose from it's plastic mount, hot glue it back down solidly. When (not if, when) the shutter wheel loosens then the timing wanders badly, and if it gets too lose it'll smack the HEP and the car is then DRT. $30 part, but DRT is DRT and just as inconvenient anywhere it happens.

I'm assuming this is a TBI car, most acclaims are. There's only one injector and it's huge, they generally don't go bad.

Also, have you gotten your computer codes? Dead simple, flip the key on and off 3 times leaving it "on", then count the blinks on the check engine light. Post those here.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 07:07:05 AM »
Will do. It may be a day or so, Headin' out for the weekend. Cheesy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 10:39:14 AM »
Here are the codes I get:

1-2-4-1-5-5

The 2 follows the one in quick succesion but there is a slight pause between.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 11:34:56 AM »
Each code is a two digit code.

You have:

12 - Battery or computer recently disconnected
41 - Alternator field control circuit open or shorted
55 - End of codes

I found the codes here (about halfway down the page).

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.makers.chrysler/browse_thread/thread/669107bb55cd48b3/c0053b819e930e4a?tvc=2&q=rec.autos.makers.chrysler+FAQ

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 11:50:46 AM »
Thanks for the link. Both of those codes are probably due to the rotted and needs to be replaced battery cable connector. I got a couple ideas of what to check from reading through over at the linked site. I'll post more as I know more.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 08:39:15 AM »
This is what I love about that era Chrysler vehicles. If you're a trained troubleshooter, they're *so simple*... no code readers required, no hidden wiring, no insane component configurations (have you ever seen a volvo's electronics?), no complicated mechanical assemblies, and forethought of a life of abuse and neglect (i.e. noninterference engines, hard aluminum bearings, overbuilt transmissions, overbuilt blocks equivalent to what some manf's offer as "heavy duty", etc.

The driveline in that car can easily handle 300hp/300ft-lb of torque, believe it or not. The turbododge crowd do it every day. The oly bugaboos are the need to keep the engine centered and avoiding detonation at all cost.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 12:38:49 PM »
Heh, just drove it to RI for the weekend with no problems but the sputtering seems to be getting worse. I'm going to do a basic tuneup and replace that doohickey in the distributor and we'll see what happens.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 02:05:42 PM »
I was just thinking too that if one of the spark plugs looks cleaner than the rest then you may have popped your head gasket.

That's actually not as daunting as it sounds, usually you can undo the timing belt, unbolt the head, and pry it up 1/4" or so and slide the old one out, then slide the new one in provided nothing stuck. That avoids you unplugging and disconnecting everything from the manifolds.

The 2.2/2.5 engine suffered from someone's screwup at the gasket place, there should be a shim at the corner of #4 that stops the gasket from crushing, but it ain't there. People have added their own before, made from a little round piece of shim stock ruber cemented into a cut hole in some dead space. Without it, over time the steel sealing ring will squeeze into the cylinder and burn out.

Newer gaskets don't exhibit this problem. If you suspect that a gasket is the old type, just don't crank down so hard on that corner's head bolt when you torque-to-yield.  

If what you do this weekend doesn't work, btw, check on the timing belt. These motors can hop back or forth one tooth and still run, just badly. It's even funner on the turbo models where the pressure masks it, all you notice with them is some power loss.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 03:02:32 PM »
Thanks, here's hoping it's not a head gasket. I did just have the timing belt done too. I'll remember to check the plugs. It comes and goes though, I imagine if it was a head gasket it would be a constant thing?

mfree

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 04:32:59 PM »
Actually, I was thinking about that... You could be dribbling some fluid into one of the combustion chambers while it sits and gets cold.

I'm going to lay my hand down and say it's either going to be the distributor or the head gasket, unless it's smoking when it sputters then you could have a leaky valve guide.

though, if it's an all-cylinder sputter... when was the last time you changed your O2 sensor again?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 11:13:08 PM »
Dang good question...

No smoke BTW, which is always a good sign. Cheesy