Author Topic: New Boyscout merit patch.  (Read 1655 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
New Boyscout merit patch.
« on: October 21, 2006, 10:02:10 AM »
Just saw this on Headline News: (working on link to article)

There is a new Boyscout merit patch to be earned by boyscouts... Respect Copyrights.  The scouts learn how to identify copyrighted material and what can be done with them.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:25:45 AM »
That's fine.  But not until they can tie a sheepshank, build a fire and handle a firearm.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mfree

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 02:29:15 PM »
What was it Chris Rock said? Don't ask for recognition for doing something you ought to have done in the first place?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 02:55:45 PM »
that goes along with the boy scouts anymore

It was a joke when I was with them in the early and mid 90's.

The weekly meeting?  It was mroe about going over a few things, talking as a group, and mostly leading up to the end of meeting game of football.

We took the occasional camping trip, I was a boy scout for ver a year (not counting the time through tiger and cub scouts which I was from the time I was five) and never once held a rifle.

I don't know how it is everywhere, but the modern boyscouts aren't much to speak of for teaching skills.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 03:20:22 PM »
The weekly meeting?  It was mroe about going over a few things, talking as a group, and mostly leading up to the end of meeting game of football.
Yeah, well, if your dad never showed up to the meetings like all the dads in my troop (including my own) to give the boys the benefit of wisdom and experience at a crucial time in their lives, then you were basically on a football team with no helmets.  Been there.  Parents hear "boy scouts" and assume that boys sit around a campfire litstening to ancient stories of heroism told by a wise elk.  It has not occured to them that "boy scouts" is about preparing boys for manhood, so maybe the meeting hall should be full of men with no greater concern in their lives than the development of their sons.  Wouldn't that be a novel thing!

'Course, it's hard enough to find a father and his son living in the same house except on every third Tuesday and alternate Sundays, so Scouting is pretty much a lost cause.

I'll bet your troop had problems on campouts, too.  Moms had to drive and stay in camp, right?  Sorry ladies, this is a man thing.  Mom's involvement ended with cub scouts.  Women shouldn't be around to cook meals and keep the camp tidy.  If they are, the boys will never learn that cooking and cleaning are just as manly as chopping wood and hunting.  Women in the troop was something that always irritated me.

If you want a good experience for your son these days, you pretty much have to join an AMM group.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 07:13:44 AM »
Az-

While my dad was never in the picture there were plenty of grown men around.  Agian, we never seemed to learn to much.

Actualy on camp outs there weren't many problems or women.  I think the problem was more lack of just doing things you expect boy scouts to do.

Then agian this was also NJ...so that might explain a bit.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 12:36:23 PM »
Yup, not enough dads and too many moms in the boy scouts these days.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 12:49:39 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
Yup, not enough dads and too many moms in the boy scouts these days.
You sexist pig!!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 12:57:12 PM »
I just calls 'em as I sees 'em...

Tongue

It's true though, nothing against moms wanting to participtae but if I let the moms run the show when I was in charge all we'd ever do is sit around a campfire after a gourmet meal and make s'mores.

Mom, "Why do they have to go on a hike? My little Johnny doesn't LIKE to hike."

Me, "Then your little Johnny can stay home this month."

280plus = evil Committee Chairman. (insert sinister laughing here)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 12:58:37 PM »
I mean, what's Boy Scouts without a breakfast of burnt pancakes and eggs smothered in fruit cocktail fer cryin' out loud! Cheesy

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 01:06:39 PM »
I was in the Boy Scouts for a few years, and then Explorer Scouts.

Fistful, I got all sorts of merit badges, but never made it past Tenderfoot because I couldn't tie knots. Still can't to this day. My wife even laughs at the way I tie shoes.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 01:32:26 PM »
I got exactly two merit badges :First Aid and Rifle And Shotgun. Cheesy

MY mom had a kaniption when I came home from summer camp and she found out I spent two weeks shooting GUNS! I'm so proud. Tongue

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 03:04:19 PM »
Fine, but next time they're not using my guns for their rifle badges.
Wink

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 03:26:55 PM »
LOL...

I'm sure none of "my" moms would have had guns to lend. I didn't say ALL moms were bad, just the wimpy ones. Tongue

Chris

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 05:24:31 AM »
I did the Scout thing.  All the way through Eagle Scout.  My oldest son just started in Cub Scouts.  So far, he's not learning anything real important.  Just a bunch of talk about honor, honesty, respect, that sort of thing.  Wink  Sriously, the Cub Scout pack is a lot more relxed, less militaristic than I recall my Scouting experience being.  But they are teaching the same principles, which seem to be sorely lacking in today's world.  Concepts like real honor.  the idea of keeping one's word, no matter what.  of telling the truth, damn the consequences.  Not weaseling one's way out of a problem by blaming someone else.  I found it refreshing in this world of political correctness to see these values being taught.  Shockingly enough, even the pair of "challenged" (handicapped) boys are expected to participate in the same activites, and darned if they don't do pretty well at them.

Don't pronounce the body dead yet.  there's still hope.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 05:41:33 AM »
Well, the Scouts could use a few more grown up Eagle Scouts to guide them. I suspect you're up to the task when it arrives. My problem was I loved it and my kids hated it. So I ended up a troop leader without a kid of my own participtaing. Which was OK until I came to the realization that neither the adults NOR most of the kids appreciated it. Now THAT'S frustrating. The adults was one thing but when those kids started showing themselves for the little SOBs they really were, that was the end for me. I wish you better luck than I had. Cheesy

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 07:21:33 AM »
When I was a kid, I looked into scouting, having heard from my Dad about how he made Eagle Scout.

The local (urban Chicago) troop basically did NOTHING of interest - no camping, no woods lore, no "hands on" knife sharpening, fire building, or anything else of interest . . . they were starting into the toy car racing thing then, and that just didn't fit my preconceptions of what scouting was all about.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain