Author Topic: What A Commercial!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16937 times)

Dntsycnt

• friend
Re: What A Commercial!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2008, 03:18:04 PM »
"but not much appeal to reason." 
that means that a guy who has been there done that is not a big hit at the campus starbucks or student union,  right? rolleyes

Yep, that's exactly right, because I'm one of them egghead college boy democrats, and don't appreciate those injured/killed in Iraq/Afghanistan because I don't know any of them and don't care to.  It's not like the video in question failed to address any policy issues and was used instead for emotional reaction and shock value.

Nope, me and my flip flop wearing, dope smoking buddies feel secure in our knowledge that because he doesn't support the Anointed One, he must be Wrong.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2008, 05:12:33 PM »
...It's not like the video in question failed to address any policy issues and was used instead for emotional reaction and shock value...

Kettle meet Pot!

Kind'a sucks for you Dems when a conservative turns around and uses your favorite tactics against ya, huh? Because that's just about all Dems do - tug at people's heart strings.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2008, 05:50:26 PM »
...It's not like the video in question failed to address any policy issues and was used instead for emotional reaction and shock value...

Kettle meet Pot!

Kind'a sucks for you Dems when a conservative turns around and uses your favorite tactics against ya, huh? Because that's just about all Dems do - tug at people's heart strings.

Dntsycnts was a Dem? What now?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2008, 06:44:11 PM »
News to me.

Maybe Werewolf misread my blatant sarcasm.  Or maybe not agreeing with everything Republican 100 percent makes me an Evil Democrat.

I'm going to go write love letters to JFK and burn them with incense now.  I need to find my Center.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2008, 07:06:54 PM »
As for the video:  Effective jab for emotional response, but not much appeal to reason.  I guess that means it's perfect for this election.

If the purpose of the ad was to make the case for the Iraq war, you might have a point.  In fact, it is meant to counter the fallacious emotional appeal of the anti-war side.  Eg., "This war is bad because my son was killed," or "This war is only supported by chickenhawks and profiteers who haven't felt the pain it is causing." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2008, 02:48:18 AM »
As for the video:  Effective jab for emotional response, but not much appeal to reason.  I guess that means it's perfect for this election.

If the purpose of the ad was to make the case for the Iraq war, you might have a point.  In fact, it is meant to counter the fallacious emotional appeal of the anti-war side.  Eg., "This war is bad because my son was killed," or "This war is only supported by chickenhawks and profiteers who haven't felt the pain it is causing." 

Cheney appears relatively pain-free.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2008, 02:49:10 AM »

Only is the key word.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2008, 08:30:33 AM »

undecided  I didn't say that Cheney lost his leg.  The point of the commercial (or one of them) is that many of those who "paid the price" for the Iraq War support it, and were adamantly opposed to any withdrawal, without a clear victory. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Doing It Wrong
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2008, 11:09:33 AM »
There seems to be a contingent of "modern thinkers" who believe that if it hurts you're doing it wrong.  Nothing should hurt.  Pain should never be part of the price.  Everything can be worked out by rationality and discussion and reason and logic and compromise.

"Life is pain . . . anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something."

Among these "modern thinkers" is the contingent who believe that "pain" is what happens when someone disagrees with them, and the penalty for causing that kind of pain ought to be death, or at least destruction.

According to this "modern thought," civilization makes violence obsolete, and all conflict should be resolved through ambassadors of one kind or another.

Having to fight for my freedom and the lives and freedom of my family, my nation, and my culture, scares me to death.  I'm pretty much a coward on that front.

Come the day, however, when the choice is between standing in the breach and having my grandchildren live in slavery . . . I hope to God I have the strength to die with dignity.

People who choose to fight for their homes and their families when they could just as easily skate, those guys have my undying respect.

They are bigger men than I am, and than I'll likely ever be.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2008, 11:22:56 AM »
Yes, civilization makes violence obsolete.

Or rather, civilization and its history is the story of LIMITING and channeling our use of violence.

Where people who limit their use of violence - for example, to punishing crime and defending life and liberty - there you have civilization.

Where people use ulimited violence to resolve their differences, to exterminate those who are not like them, then these people are savages and should themselves be met with steel, lead, and fire, no matter how delicate their tastes in art or how refined these manners.

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2008, 11:25:26 AM »
Outstanding commercial.  That's all I have to say on this.  Thanks for posting.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2008, 01:05:32 PM »
News to me.

Maybe Werewolf misread my blatant sarcasm.
That's exactly what I did except I wouldn't exactly call it blatant. Could you be a bit more subtle next time? cheesy
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »
<div class="quoteheader">Quote</div><div class="quote">I can tell you one thing for sure. American soldiers dying and our goverment creating massive debt is not worth the freedom of any foreigner. We should defend only ourselves. All other people should either fight for their own freedom or be damned.</div>It's a good thing the French didn't see things that way back in the 1780s.

And remember what it did to THEIR government?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2008, 06:12:36 PM »
Wow, hello older thread!

Crap, "The Annoyed Man" popped up again.  I thought I fixed all those...

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2008, 07:16:22 PM »
That man is no kid.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

taurusowner

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2008, 09:50:35 PM »
I can tell you one thing for sure. American soldiers dying and our goverment creating massive debt is not worth the freedom of any foreigner. We should defend only ourselves. All other people should either fight for their own freedom or be damned.

NM.  Already been said by others.