Author Topic: Student Debt Bubble Officially Pops As 90+ Day Delinquency Rate Goes Parabolic  (Read 11793 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
No matter what happens with student debt, you can't ignore that the debts are being unpaid.

Prediciton time!

The president will propose, and push, within this term, forgiveness of all government held student debts. 

Thank God that I will have my loans paid off in full with complete honesty and integrity before this happens.  Should be done by June.  I owe $3800 or so, and pay about $600 a month on that.

ANd I say EVERY ONE OF US who can take advantage of such a disaster do so, if for no other reason than to break it.

I want nothing to do with Government having any claim over my degree or my mind.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
My loans being pre-conversion and privately held, it shouldn't affect me. I'll keep making payments, which I've never missed excepting an unemployment forbearance, until they're gone.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Meanwhile the president is off campaigning about the fiscal cliff.  Republicans are going back on their No-new taxes pledge in an attempt to meet the Democrats halfway.  Yet the Democrats have offered no meaningful cuts (all cuts take place in "out-years").  It should be for every $1 in new revenue this year, then $3-$4 in cuts THIS YEAR.  Obama will not got for it, so off the fiscal cliff we will go. Fun, Fun.

Meanwhile the banks will be clamoring to be bailed out for all the bad student loans they hold. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

agricola

• friend
Student debt Of this magnitude exists because government throws billions of dollars at the academic system.  Stop that and you will lower costs and that will reduce the debt load.

As for the current levels of debt I say let the colleges and universities eat the majority of it.

Perhaps, though the pre-1994 system in the UK (where the state paid for the fees and provided a very small grant towards living expenses for students who had the academic ability but not the means to attend, and paid for the fees for most other students) was at least as good at keeping costs down, removed debt from the equation entirely and still resulted in the money being paid back because of the increased taxes paid by graduates once they went to work. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

longeyes

• friend
It is the scale that has changed. 

Half century ago we did not have university presidents making half a million a year or law professors making $300-$400,000 a year.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
^^^ Or college football coaches making a million a year.  What the heck does that have to do with academics?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

longeyes

• friend
When did education become welfare for the mind?
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa

It's a "constitutional right" - doncha know?  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend

When the Federal government decided to impose itself on the marketplace, of course, and the hammer found its nail.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

White Horseradish

• friend
As for the current levels of debt I say let the colleges and universities eat the majority of it.
How do you propose to do that? They aren't the ones holding the  loans.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

longeyes

• friend
Cut off the subsidies commensurately.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
It is the scale that has changed.  

Half century ago we did not have university presidents making half a million a year or law professors making $300-$400,000 a year.

A think very few law professors actually make $300-400k, that would be more the medical professors.

So what did university professors get paid 50 years ago, then adjust for inflation.

according to fistful's inflation calculator $65,000 in 1962 is about $500,000 in 2012 dollars.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Cut off the subsidies commensurately.

The entire federal loan scam is a subsidy.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
I find it funny that there are so many people going to college, but so few majoring in subjects that are actually employable.  To me, this is a failure at the personal level, the failing of each individual student who chooses to do what they love, not what will help them succeed.  There are many useless degrees out there.  And yet, at the same time, we are completely falling behind in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).  These subjects are absolutely critical to our country, as if I need to tell this group, and yet we can't find enough people to fill these jobs.  Yet we have an over-abundance of underwater basket weavers. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

MicroBalrog

• friend
If that was true then is would be no problem for colleges to become partial cosigners on student debt. They would be taking on no additional risk, regardless of the major. The risk tables would be the same for ChemE, MechE, Pre-Med, Business & Finance, and History and colleges would accept student loans in these fields all the same.

But if it is not true, then colleges would fight this rule change tooth and nail. Because if implemented they would have to rescale the student body size per degree according to the job market demands (except for the students who pay cash up front, they will always be able to do whatever they want).

No, the problem is that 90% of the peopel who get these degrees are not interested in learning anything at all

Also 'this major is not unemployable' is not the same as 'all majors are equally employable'.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
No, the problem is that 90% of the peopel who get these degrees are not interested in learning anything at all

Also 'this major is not unemployable' is not the same as 'all majors are equally employable'.

How about "there is no market to sustain X number of these majors, therefore Y number of these majors are unemployable"??

Easy money for education and lack of direction for that money has pushed a huge number of people into feel-good and easy-sounding degrees, with no market for said degrees.  Therefore, those people are unemployable.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
This process is not education it is labeling, no different from stamping a brand at the plant. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
How about "there is no market to sustain X number of these majors, therefore Y number of these majors are unemployable"??

Easy money for education and lack of direction for that money has pushed a huge number of people into feel-good and easy-sounding degrees, with no market for said degrees.  Therefore, those people are unemployable.

This can be so dependent on the economy, though.  I graduated with an honors grad degree in chemistry in the early 80's, and there were no jobs in my field at that time during the recession then.  There are nurses graduating now who cannot find jobs due to the economy and the recession in the hospital field.  I know mechanical engineers in this area who are looking for work.  So you can easily have people with good degrees who still cannot find jobs as a function of the economy. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Stetson

• friends
And I was thinking about going to a real college for a couple of reasons, mostly to get the 4-yr degree.  I can't get my foot in the door on a lot of jobs because of this.  I have done the jobss with other companies but I can't get past the HR drones.

MicroBalrog

• friend

The problem is not inherent with the 'uselessness' of things taught in these degrees. Rather, it is inherent with the 'uselessness' of most people who attend them.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

zahc

• friend
These subjects are absolutely critical to our country, as if I need to tell this group, and yet we can't find enough people to fill these jobs.

[citation needed]
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
And I was thinking about going to a real college for a couple of reasons, mostly to get the 4-yr degree.  I can't get my foot in the door on a lot of jobs because of this.  I have done the jobss with other companies but I can't get past the HR drones.

Another part of the stupidity,

"You gotta have a 4 year degree to even be considered for this position, even though you will never use the degree in it and it doesn't matter what the degree is in". THAT is a load of bullshit driven by "management" dipshits.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Another part of the stupidity,

"You gotta have a 4 year degree to even be considered for this position, even though you will never use the degree in it and it doesn't matter what the degree is in". THAT is a load of bullshit driven by "management" dipshits.

+1. Part of the reason why I'm not working as a civi doing the same stuff I was doing in the military. Loads of cross discipline practical experience and a demonstrated ability to learn out-of-field jobs quickly, but don't have the required $100,000 piece of parchment.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Student debt Of this magnitude exists because government throws billions of dollars at the academic system.  Stop that and you will lower costs and that will reduce the debt load.

This becomes true for anything at which the government throws money.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

birdman

• friend
^^^ Or college football coaches making a million a year.  What the heck does that have to do with academics?

Nothing.  However, it DOES have a lot to do with economics.  If the school didn't believe the marginal revenue increase associated with spending the money on a more expensive coach wasn't greater than the marginal increase in pay vs a cheaper coach, they probably wouldn't. 
Why is marginal return on invested capital or NPV of revenue vs NPV of cost so hard for people to see as an or the only reason for economic decisions?