Author Topic: Any experience with 9 mm revolvers?  (Read 5192 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Any experience with 9 mm revolvers?
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »
For a long time, I have been pondering a LCR, but I already have more .38 and .357 revolvers than I can consistently carry and use, so I have not followed through on buying one.  I have been reading some interesting reviews about the new 9 mm LCR, but have never had a revolver that uses moon clips. 

Does anyone have any hands-on experience with a 9 mm revolver?  Are moon clips a hassle?  What do you think about 9 mm ballistics out of a revolver?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Any experience with 9 mm revolvers?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 06:32:29 PM »
I can't speak for the 9mm version but the LCR we had was a solid nice shooting little revolver.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 06:40:30 PM »
My Blackhawk has a 9mm cylinder but it doesn't use moon clips - the cartridges headspace on the case mouth just like a pistol.  I haven't really found it all that useful as it's easy enough to shoot .357 reloads or cheap .38 rather than change out the cylinder.

I absolutely love the little .38/.357 LCR and I've been wimping out and carrying it every day instead of the Blackhawk  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 07:09:53 PM »
The .38 LCR has become my EDC since my back flared up the last time. Shooting bud is a State Police Instructor (very good!). "But you've only got 5 rounds!?!?!?" "James, I'm not going to the Nairobi Mall!" though it could come here (not likely....). It's all about risk assessment.

But to the question at hand: does the 9mm offer any real advantage over the .38+p?? Bullet placement, son, bullet placement!
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:36:11 PM »
[quote author=Bob F. link=topic=46190.msg942817#msg942817 date=1414973393

But to the question at hand: does the 9mm offer any real advantage over the .38+p?? Bullet placement, son, bullet placement!
[/quote]

I have no need whatsoever for another handgun in any caliber; I can barely get the safe closed as it is.  So this would primarily be for fun.  And I already have 9 mm pistols up the wazoo, so I am thinking just how much I would need a 9 mm revolver to add to the mix.  Hmm.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 08:19:50 PM »
I have no need whatsoever for another handgun in any caliber; I can barely get the safe closed as it is.  So this would primarily be for fun.  And I already have 9 mm pistols up the wazoo, so I am thinking just how much I would need a 9 mm revolver to add to the mix.  Hmm.

Do you have a .45 Colt or a .44 magnum  ???

How about a .44-40 or .38-40, or a .30 carbine ...?

If not, I'm sure that you need one  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 08:37:56 PM »
"But you've only got 5 rounds!?!?!?" "James, I'm not going to the Nairobi Mall!" though it could come here (not likely....). It's all about risk assessment.
It is coming here- absolutely guaranteed-but unlikely any one of us in particular  will be at the X . But it is gonna happen. 

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
I always thought 38 was more powerful than 9mm.

I am having a hard time finding out if the clips are needed for function or just for extraction.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 10:03:20 PM »
From what I have seen the clips are needed for extraction but the gun will function fine without them. You'll just have to unload it like a Colt SAA. I have been researching this gun and the 9mm has definite velocity/kinetic energy advantage with lighter or same weight bullets but as the weight of the projectile goes up the balance of power changes. I don't know when light for caliber bullets became the norm for .38 special but 9mm weight bullets fired at .380 velocities haven't done it any favors. Step up the ammo game and 9mm doesn't beat the ballistic efficiency of a hot and heavy .38 special or the power of proper .357.

I have only run a couple boxes through a rental LCR .38 and found the recoil pretty brisk even with middling ammo. Accuracy and trigger were good. The 9mm is reported to be snappier than the .38 even though it's built on the heavier .357 frame, and I simply can't imagine full house .357 through a gun that light (and S&W makes some that are lighter!) Full house .357 loads through our 2 1/4" SP101 are pretty alarming and the weight is 26oz to the LCR's 17oz.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:10:38 PM by Grebnaws »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 11:18:18 PM »
Moon clips are the bees knees.  They are what allows Jerry Whatshisname get those blazing reloads so he can do those amazing multiple-load shots.

If you are going to go with something that uses moon clips seriously consider getting a loader/unloader tool

http://www.mooncliptool.com/ 

http://www.bmtequipped.com/products.php 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/447470/california-competition-works-remooner-moon-clip-loading-tool-for-6-shot-full-moon-clips 

Stay away frrom these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/447470/california-competition-works-remooner-moon-clip-loading-tool-for-6-shot-full-moon-clips  unless you like showing off your NSFW vocabulary.  Much moar betterer like this http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/moonclip-accessories/demooner-prod4145.aspx

This http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/moonclip-accessories/45-acp-sku098000025-20756-45525.aspx is fun but can be a bit less than secure holding the top clip.  I like http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/North-Mountain-Moon-Clip-Holder-IDPA-Single-Short-Post-w-Tek-Lok-P2308.aspx better.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 12:07:39 AM »
The thing is, they never optimize the platform for 9mm.  Such as a significantly shorter cylinder & frame.  With ammo makers like Buff Bore +P and the availability of .38spl tgt wadcutters, .38spl+P has a much greater envelope of available cartridges than 9mm both mild & wild.  The only advantage of 9mm is the moon clips.  Which I use on a SW1917 and Webley MkVI .45ACP conversion.

Bee's Knees 9mm revo:
1. Break-top
2. Alloy frame.
3. Chopped cyl & frame

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 03:39:53 AM »
The thing is, they never optimize the platform for 9mm.  Such as a significantly shorter cylinder & frame.  With ammo makers like Buff Bore +P and the availability of .38spl tgt wadcutters, .38spl+P has a much greater envelope of available cartridges than 9mm both mild & wild.  The only advantage of 9mm is the moon clips.  Which I use on a SW1917 and Webley MkVI .45ACP conversion.

Bee's Knees 9mm revo:
1. Break-top
2. Alloy frame.
3. Chopped cyl & frame

Yes, A Smith 3 series with a chopped down titanium cylinder.

On moon clips, I love them just consider that the blazing fast reloads of internet lore come from .45acp guns. Stiff clip, short stubby cartridges. I own two guns and on the stainless one I chamfered the chambers and can pretty much throw a clip of ball in that thing from across the room. No experience with 9mm clips, the .38/.357 ones seem to still be better than speedloaders, but not quite as slick as the .45 clips. But stuffing 8 .357 in a gun still would make me happy if I could afford a 327.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 09:07:57 AM »
I have a S&W in 357 magnum that takes moon clips and they are not as easy to line up into the cylinder.  The 45 ACP just falls right in.  9mm might work pretty well.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 09:14:16 AM »
I have a Taurus 905.

The biggest drawback is that it's a Taurus. The thing is flaky and prone to light primer strikes. The moonclips are awesome, though. I have considered on occasion having one of my .38 revolvers cut for moonclips.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 09:48:08 AM »
I have only run a couple boxes through a rental LCR .38 and found the recoil pretty brisk even with middling ammo. Accuracy and trigger were good. The 9mm is reported to be snappier than the .38 even though it's built on the heavier .357 frame, and I simply can't imagine full house .357 through a gun that light (and S&W makes some that are lighter!) Full house .357 loads through our 2 1/4" SP101 are pretty alarming and the weight is 26oz to the LCR's 17oz.

I just didn't find the recoil with .38 in an LCR to be anything bad.  Yeah, there's a lot of muzzle flip but somehow the frame and grip absorb a lot of shock that is otherwise passed to the hand(s).  And our friend with bad arthritis in her hands handles it just fine, which was a surprise to me.  I only bought the .357 version for emergency ammo compatibility with my other sixguns, and I haven't shot it with full load .357 yet - just my .357 reloads with 158g LSWC and 5gr Unique (.38 load).

I have noticed that 9mm is quite snappy even in my heavy Blackhawk  ;/

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »
Why try to make a gun optimized for rimmed cartridges use 9mm?
 or for that matter a gun optimized for rim less, use rimmed?
 9mm revolvers and .38 auto-loaders never made the least bit of sense to me.
like a solution running around looking for a question.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »
Why try to make a gun optimized for rimmed cartridges use 9mm?
 or for that matter a gun optimized for rim less, use rimmed?
 9mm revolvers and .38 auto-loaders never made the least bit of sense to me.
like a solution running around looking for a question.

Is .38 Super rimmed enough to be useable with an appropriately sized revolver ejector star?  That might be interesting.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »
I mostly shoot full size 9mm pistols and .38 or .357 revolvers so my impression of recoil is probably a little on the high side. Interestingly I find my tiny .380 quite pleasant to shoot when most people dislike it. Perhaps that's the benefit of having smaller hands? Worth noting, there is almost a 4 oz. difference between the .38 special .357 LCR. That's ~20% increase in weight which is enough to make a difference in subjective recoil IMO. It really is a shame they aren't maximizing the short barrel efficiency of 9mm by actually reducing the cylinder and frame length to accommodate it.

So... who wants to pioneer some extra heavy cast lead 9mm bullets to fill up some of that free bore in the cylinder?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 12:40:57 PM »
I mostly shoot full size 9mm pistols and .38 or .357 revolvers so my impression of recoil is probably a little on the high side. Interestingly I find my tiny .380 quite pleasant to shoot when most people dislike it. Perhaps that's the benefit of having smaller hands? Worth noting, there is almost a 4 oz. difference between the .38 special .357 LCR. That's ~20% increase in weight which is enough to make a difference in subjective recoil IMO. It really is a shame they aren't maximizing the short barrel efficiency of 9mm by actually reducing the cylinder and frame length to accommodate it.

So... who wants to pioneer some extra heavy cast lead 9mm bullets to fill up some of that free bore in the cylinder?

How's about some of those ~170gr LSWC .358" pills designed by Elmer Keith to shoot from .38spl brass?  Push them through the appropriate sizer for 9mm (0.356"?) and load into the 9mm case.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 04:15:13 PM »
So these have been some very helpful comments.  I am now re-thinking any real practical use for this, that is not already met by my small .38 or .357 revolvers or my 9 mm compact pistols.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 04:38:34 PM »
Worth noting, there is almost a 4 oz. difference between the .38 special .357 LCR. That's ~20% increase in weight which is enough to make a difference in subjective recoil IMO.
I shot the LCR in .38 before I bought one in .357 for myself.

So these have been some very helpful comments.  I am now re-thinking any real practical use for this, that is not already met by my small .38 or .357 revolvers or my 9 mm compact pistols.
Since when does "practical" have anything to do with buying more guns  ???  ;/  :P  =D

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 04:50:01 PM »
How's about some of those ~170gr LSWC .358" pills designed by Elmer Keith to shoot from .38spl brass?  Push them through the appropriate sizer for 9mm (0.356"?) and load into the 9mm case.

I suspect three things will be an issue:
pressure
getting enough powder in the case to drive them effectively
twist rate too slow for such heavy bullets. 

Chris

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 04:57:15 PM »
Is .38 Super rimmed enough to be useable with an appropriately sized revolver ejector star?  That might be interesting.

I believe S&W offers/offered a JM .38 Super Performance Center revolver.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 04:59:17 PM »

Bee's Knees 9mm revo:
1. Break-top
2. Alloy frame.
3. Chopped cyl & frame

Have it fire from the bottom of the cylinder like a Chiappa Rhino while we're at it.
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 08:31:18 PM »
Since when does "practical" have anything to do with buying more guns  ???  ;/  :P  =D

Well, that's true.  Since I don't need a new carry gun, maybe I should save my pennies for a stainless Vaquero in .357 to cross my path.  I have not owned a single-action for years, and maybe I should get another one.