Author Topic: Any experience with 9 mm revolvers?  (Read 5191 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Any experience with 9 mm revolvers?
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
Well, that's true.  Since I don't need a new carry gun, maybe I should save my pennies for a stainless Vaquero in .357 to cross my path.  I have not owned a single-action for years, and maybe I should get another one.

Oh, no - you should get a pair  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »
At first I was stoked then I realized

Not any shorter than 38
Not more powerful
Not lighter weighs 17oz (Shield 9mm is 19oz)
More expensive

As much as I was stoked about a 9mm carry revolver it's just not working out.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 11:42:56 PM »
I have an S&W 940, which is their all stainless J-frame snub-nosed revolver.  It is not fun to shoot, and has almost as much recoil as my 3 inch model 60 with .357s.  While it is a nice idea, for the size and weight there are many better options.

Tim

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 09:21:38 AM »
Since we are talking 9mm, Palmetto State Armory had an email yesterday with a 9mm AR Rifle kit without the stripped lower. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »
http://www.ruger.com/products/lcrDE/specSheets/5415.html

So on more or less of an impulse, I decided to drink of the LCR Kool-Aid and bought this tonight.  It was being sold at a local variety store for $ 449 on sale, which is $ 100 off their list price and is the everyday price of the .38 LCR without the laser.  I figured with the combination of the Hogue grip and the frame-mounted laser, I could not go wrong, and this was by far the best local price I have seen for this model.  I have to say that as I picked it up and felt how light it was, a big grin hit my face.  This is my first polymer and ultra-lightweight revolver.  I think my next lightest revolver is my Taurus 651 in titanium, and that is a hair under 18 ounces.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:23:47 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2014, 11:13:49 AM »
http://www.ruger.com/products/lcrDE/specSheets/5415.html

So on more or less of an impulse, I decided to drink of the LCR Kool-Aid and bought this tonight.  It was being sold at a local variety store for $ 449 on sale, which is $ 100 off their list price and is the everyday price of the .38 LCR without the laser.  I figured with the combination of the Hogue grip and the frame-mounted laser, I could not go wrong, and this was by far the best local price I have seen for this model.  I have to say that as I picked it up and felt how light it was, a big grin hit my face.  This is my first polymer and ultra-lightweight revolver.  I think my next lightest revolver is my Taurus 651 in titanium, and that is a hair under 18 ounces.

Interested, since I have a 17oz Taurus Total Ti 651 with a Crimson Trace laser sight.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »
So for purposes of comparison, last night I went to the range and test-fired my new LCR with the LaserMax sight and my existing 2.25" SP-101 with a Crimson Trace grip.  I shot off Speer Gold Dot .38+p JHP and some miscellaneous semi-wadcutters that I had lying around.  I was most interested to find out that the LCR with the Hogue Tamer grip was more comfortable to shoot than the SP-101 with the hard plastic CT grip, even given the greater weight of the SP-101.  Otherwise, it was the typical stellar Ruger performance out of both handguns.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.